Topic of the Week - Are you a planner or keep it ad hoc?

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Topic of the Week - Are you a planner or keep it ad hoc?

Post by Daeron »

Greetings Tyrants!

In this week's topic of the week, we delve into the kind of wargamer that you are. Some people love to plan everything in detail, and find as much joy in the planning as the execution. And others prefer to gather enough resources and decide on the spot. Some like neither and just wing it!

With a hobby as elaborate as ours, there are various aspects in which we can express this. We could be a planner for the game, but improvise when it comes to painting. Or perhaps we love to plan scenarios but not the army lists. Or the other way around. Or do you plan your games carefully, knowing which opponent you'll fight or do you prefer to show up and see from there?

Let us know, what parts of the game you love to plan, and which you don't. And why. :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Re: Topic of the Week - Are you a planner or keep it ad hoc?

Post by direweasel »

For one-off games, I very much cater my army lists and strategies to the opponent. We often don't decide scenarios until we get there, but if I know I'm fighting dwarves, that will affect everything about my preparation as opposed to fighting high elves for instance.

It will affect terrain placement, unit selection and compositon, character builds, possibly who goes first, everything.

With painting, I don't think you can "wing it" on an army like Dark Elves. There has to be some continuity or they don't look right.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360