Theory - Computing unit decay and return damage

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Theory - Computing unit decay and return damage

Post by Daeron »

So I made another theorycrafting video. My previous theory, and the one powering the Dnet Tools, allows us to examine all possible outcomes of a unit's performance. In this video, I show how we can calculate the wounds remaining on a unit based on such a complex model. Then, we use that to compute the performance of a unit after damage, all the while reusing the same theory and recalculating all possible outcomes.

It's math heavy, but you get to hear me sing throughout the video.

I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Theory - Computing unit decay and return damage

Post by Amboadine »

Math theory and singing. What is not to like :)

What other songs do you have lined up for your next one?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I'll check the CD from Alvin and the Chipmunks or the Smurfs for another song.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

That was pretty cool. I think that could give a pretty good insight into how good certain units really are. Not sure excel can really do something along those lines but you can use a computer algebra system to do the polynomial manipulations, (maxima is free but a bit clunky: http://maxima.sourceforge.net/) Or you may be able to use wolfram alpha to do it, haven't tried it too much.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Yeah, algebra is all you really need. I wrote PHP code for it in less than a single A4 (or letter) page. It's what's powering our Druchii.net tools: http://tools.druchii.net/
I wrote a few optimisations for it already, but I reckon I could throw a few more in there if there ever is need for it. The benefit of making your own code is that you save a lot of computational power by not needing the math-heavy virtual machine.

I think I also have a Javascript version of the code somewhere, which cancels the need to have any special kind of software other than a browser. Javascript has but limited accuracy on its floating points, but it's usually sufficient for such calculations. I considered redoing them with a model for rational numbers, since all the outcomes in these calculations are, and should always be rational numbers. But then, I fear it's a quite some work for the limited benefit ;)

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Have you considered expanding the tools to cover Kings of War, I know I would find that extremely useful?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I haven't considered it, simply because I don't play KoW and don't have enough knowledge about it. I'd like to support all games, if I could, but without any game experience I'd probably be making too many assumptions. I haven't been able to find a game in my neighbourhood.
I managed to see one demo game in the flesh/plastic and it was enough to see a few similarities. I think KoW's damage patterns can be modelled the same way. Hence, my reference to KoW in this video. But I need a little more knowledge and experience to make a calculator.

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

It is fairly similar to other games to be honest.

Fixed number of attacks per unit
Fixed value per unit roll to hit
Fixed value per unit roll to wound
Fixed value per unit save

Each of these can be modified by [n] using special rules. Such as Crushing strength[1] or Crushing strength[2] modifying your to wound roll by 1 or 2 respectively. So instead of 4+ the roll becomes 2+.
Number of attacks is double for a flank charge and tripled for a rear charge.

Looks like it could be modelled, but if you don't play and have access to the rules then the other calculators are similar enough that I can get a good representative result out.