WarhammerTube Topic of the Week - Repainting old minis

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

WarhammerTube Topic of the Week - Repainting old minis

Post by Daeron »

Greetings,

We've enjoyed the topic of the week in 2015. In 2016, I wonder if you would like me to continue this trend of giving a new topic every Monday. Now, obviously, the answer should be yes. But there's also another topic of the week initiative (well, it was there first) on YouTube. And so I wonder if I could please the crowd by linking that topic of the week on our forum. As the week progresses I may, if time allows, try to make a brief response video and go over some of the feedback from our own community.
There is no lack of ideas on how we can manage this, but for now I propose to just give it a shot and see which format we prefer.

Without further ado, here is the topic of the week from the Warhammer Youtube community: repainting old minis.

Cheers,
Daeron
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Re: WarhammerTube Topic of the Week - Repainting old minis

Post by Malys the younger »

I personally like the topic of the week concept. I don't see why you couldn't perhaps blend the two; post a video for discussion and maybe post a spin off topic from that for additional conversation in the same thread?

After watching the video and thinking about it I'm mixed about whether I would repaint old minis. I certainly don't think I would redo a whole army (looking at you 15 year old 2000pt Catachan Jungle Fighters...), but I can see picking out a few special models for refurbishing. I have an old Basilisk from my Catachans that was literally sprayed Camo Green and details picked out with Boltgun Metal. No shading. No highlights. I didn't even add all the cool additional bits to it. I absolutely would love to revisit it with all the knowledge and skill I have now. I think putting it back on the shelf next to the army would keep the "snapshot" of me and my hobby at the time while showing where I am now.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

I think it is up to you how you do it, either way works for me.

As to his video, firstly if that steam tank is 'garbage' then I have an army of garbage :|

But yes, I intend to repaint all my poor paint attempts (doing corsairs right now). I don't want crap looking minis, if I can do better, I will redo them.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

I've just started P&M again after a few years away from it, and I'm finding it tough to recapture my former skills with the brush. I'm sure it'll come back to me in time though, so I'm not rushing things. I do need to repaint my second Keeper of Secrets (or at least tidy it up a bit) as it doesn't come close to the standard I got on my first one. I guess I'll improve though (hopefully)

It's nice to look at the old ones to judge my progess and experience I guess; viewtopic.php?f=9&t=77298

@Daeron: Yes, the Topic of the week is a great addition to the regular activity on the site and I think it should stay :)
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

I think I'd prefer to see D.net keep its own Topic of the Week, with more of a focus on druchii-specific subjects. That doesn't preclude contributing to the Warhammer YouTube community's version as well, of course.

I have a dozen old corsairs I need to repaint to bring them in line with the colour scheme I'm using for my DEs now. I'm still trying to decide whether I can get away with just painting over the armour and cloaks (which are the only bits that are really the 'wrong' colour), or whether I should go all the way - strip them down and repaint them from scratch.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Shadowspite wrote:I have a dozen old corsairs I need to repaint to bring them in line with the colour scheme I'm using for my DEs now. I'm still trying to decide whether I can get away with just painting over the armour and cloaks (which are the only bits that are really the 'wrong' colour), or whether I should go all the way - strip them down and repaint them from scratch.

I think that if it's only stuff like cloaks etc that are not the colour that you want, then it would be best to just paint over them. This is especially so if you are going from a lighter colour to a darker one. Completely stripping and repainting minis is an awful lot of work if you to do it really well, and IMO is best reserved for those terribly-painted old metal minis that we tend to pick up on ebay.
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever