Last chance to buy

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Last chance to buy

Post by Daeron »

In case people missed it, there is now a "Last chance to buy" section on the GW site.
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-BE/War ... 0002a-flat

It seems some models are going to fade away from the product list. Personally, I think this is a good thing.. Not the scrapping of the model, but the fact they announce it. It wouldn't be the first time models disappear from the product list without any kind of announcement. I don't think I've missed out on a lot of models this way, but I might have been tempted to buy a few metal models from the old days when it was still an option. I'm glad I had the foresight to get my old BGs quickly before the new book was released, for example. But I did miss out on shield upgrade packs :(

Anyhow, 7 kits on the scrap list now:
- Battalion Skaven, but I don't think the models themselves will become unavailable... Just this kit.
- Battalion Beastmen, ... And I'm not sure what they'll do with this range at all. They seem prevalent in the new Lore but mostly as a generic fodder type of enemy.
- Galrauch, a kit I never really liked myself. What are your thoughts?
- Throgg, who still looks kind of nice, I think. I like the old classic, down in the dirt look to the model.
- Forsaken, which is a bit of a surprise. Perhaps they're kind of toning down the mutation part? It doesn't seem to be a recurring theme in the luff, unlike the old world.
- Tretch Craventail, who looks quite similar in style to the latest "tall pose" style of models. Oddly enough, the website on Belgium still classes it as a metal model.
- Skaven Slave Sling upgrades. Are these included in the base kit nowadays?
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Last chance to buy

Post by Amboadine »

I guess they will be doing something similar to all the races as the re-box.
Definitely nice to see some pro active communication however.

Throgg I still like, I had thought about getting him previously as I have quite a few trolls in my collection. I just can't justify the cost for something I might never play with.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

I've just checked the GW site, and all of these items are now sold out except for the Skaven Battalion, the Beastmen Battalion and the Skaven slings pack. Looks like Beastmen are going to disappear altogether, as a search for "beastmen" on the GW site only returned the Battalion on the Last Chance To Buy page - Looks like all the other beastmen stuff has gone.

Also, unless I'm reading it wrongly, the site has had a bit of a reorganisation in recent weeks - the list down the side no longer appears to have the races and factions menus, so the only way I could find the dark elves stuff was by using the search function. surely this is not a good way to do things. I'm old-school - I still live by the old 3-clicks rule of website design - if it takes more than three clicks to find what you need, you'll more than likely not bother :(

I don't want to be hating on GW every time I post here, but the fact still remains that they are still continuing to do everything wrong IMHO :(
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Darkprincess wrote:I've just checked the GW site, and all of these items are now sold out except for the Skaven Battalion, the Beastmen Battalion and the Skaven slings pack. Looks like Beastmen are going to disappear altogether, as a search for "beastmen" on the GW site only returned the Battalion on the Last Chance To Buy page - Looks like all the other beastmen stuff has gone.

Also, unless I'm reading it wrongly, the site has had a bit of a reorganisation in recent weeks - the list down the side no longer appears to have the races and factions menus, so the only way I could find the dark elves stuff was by using the search function. surely this is not a good way to do things. I'm old-school - I still live by the old 3-clicks rule of website design - if it takes more than three clicks to find what you need, you'll more than likely not bother :(

I don't want to be hating on GW every time I post here, but the fact still remains that they are still continuing to do everything wrong IMHO :(

They've been relocated under the Chaos Grand Alliance tab, as Brayherds (for the straight-up Beastmen models), Warherds (Cygors, Ghorgons, Minotaurs), Monsters of Chaos (Centigors and Jabberslythes), Chaos Gargants and Thunderscorn (Dragon Ogres).

Agreed that it's not a wonderful idea to split up a range like that - separating Centigors and then splitting Brayherds and Warherds seems a little pointless, and makes it a lot harder for someone to locate the Beastmen models they were after. What little I know of end-user design principles suggests that they don't expect people to start collecting Beastmen unless they're already collecting Chaos generally. That said, this wouldn't explain some of the other odd decisions being made about the site layout and faction-based division.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Darkprincess wrote:I still live by the old 3-clicks rule of website design - if it takes more than three clicks to find what you need, you'll more than likely not bother :(

I find their site better than ever and they seem to respect the 3-click rule. I think every product can be found in 3 exactly clicks. Starting from the homepage:
1) Click warhammer
2) Click Chaos Grand Alliance
3) Click Brayherds
Done. I particularly prefer the filter mechanisms which allow you to customize your search instead of being forced to click on the core, special and rare sections just to see the product range.
Beastmen have been split in several subfactions, though, so you may want to check the other factions:
- Warherds
- Chaos Gargants
- Thunderscorn
And of course, the Monsters of Chaos.

This site works better on mobile devices than it used to, but that shouldn't be a big surprise. The quality of the pictures is impressive and I daresay they have the best product information of any miniature company to date. At least, of any miniature company I've checked out. Feel free to challenge that, I'd gladly explore new sites.

I absolutely don't agree with the conclusion that this implies the removal of beastmen. I'm quite sure they'll remain as a faction and here's why:
- Note that the models they put on "last chance to buy" for the Beastmen are not actual models but box sets. It suggests the batallion box will be removed in its current state, which is quite natural since they are building a new range of starter sets and army boxes for most races they have relaunched or repacked. Check the Sylvanneth, for example, where one box was removed for a newer version. I suspect a similar pattern for the Beastmen. A few models may be discontinued to be replaced by newer models, but as a faction or race they will continue in one form or another. This is no different than how Warhammer worked, with the old model range being replaced by the new one. In this, perhaps, AoS might work differently as the new models might get a new name and new rules. IE: the Khorne Chaos Warriors are not Chaos Warriors with the mark of Khorne but Blood Warriors. They still keep rules for the old Chaos Warriors around, so it's an expansion rather than a replacement. But it largelly does the same thing.
- They take a notable place in the new fluff. In fact.. I'd say there's more known about Beastmen in the fluff than there is about the (A)Elves. They are a recurring opponent of the Stormcast, and while they are frequently used as fodder in combat, they actually have a place in the new world.

I hate to go against you Dark Princess ;) But .. I don't know .. If I look objectively at what they do, then a lot of things they do is good, the right way and impressive even. It just doesn't always feel that way, largelly because we're used to the old way of things. It took time to figure our way in the old stuff, and when we did it felt like home. So any change feels somewhat strange. It's like trying to switch to a new couch which, in spite of being better on paper, doesn't quite feel as great as the old one. It takes time to adjust.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Druchii brethren do not despair!!!
I'm currently working on a project to make a full line of miniatures for 9th ed.

You can check out my progress on:
https://www.facebook.com/kkgamingsolutions/

This project has started last weekend, and is picking up momentum, including the whole production organization and future distributions. More solid information soon.
Also known as Kanadian
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

And.... The enitere TK range is on last chance to buy o.O and mostly sold out already.

- The stiff breeze
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Daeron wrote:And.... The enitere TK range is on last chance to buy o.O and mostly sold out already.

Just as our TK player was thinking of getting back into the hobby :(

Oh well - I guess it's conversion time for him. Does anyone know if this is just getting ready for a new line of minis (which if the other new releases are anything to go by, won't look right in the same army as the old ones) or are they abolishing the TK altogether?

Maybe Necrons painted bleached bone would be the way to go for him now...

I hope that GW don't screw with the DE or VC, that's for sure...
The Dark Princess

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

While there is no absolute certainty on whether or not they'll being back the TK at some point, I'm less optimistic about their return. The Beastmen were a recurring element in the stories. The undead were too. But as far as I can tell, any trace or style remotely connected to RL cultures has yet to make a reappearance in Age of Sigmar. The Grand Alliance Death book is up for pre-order and it sports a healthy amount of miniatures.... None like the TK based on the rumours I've seen thus far. Undead are split into stylish elements:
- Ghoulish / Zombie creatures
- Ghost / Spectral beings
- Undead constructions
- Skeletons
And then some mixes. My info may not be accurate however.

It's not the undead that will be missing. It's the Egyptian style that will be gone, I fear. I have a battalion box and a few heroes myself.... Perhaps scavenging some shops might yield a nice enough stock.

- The stiff breeze
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Daeron wrote:It's not the undead that will be missing. It's the Egyptian style that will be gone, I fear. I have a battalion box and a few heroes myself.... Perhaps scavenging some shops might yield a nice enough stock.

Well I don't know if it's just me, but I find that the fantasy incarnations of real-world history is one of the most appealing parts of the hobby. I guess that puts me in the minority (at least as far as GW is concerned, but hey - that's the story of my life - and there are loads of other sources for good minis out there)

A quick phonecall to our TK player after I posted here yesterday has elicited a response that varied between anger, hatred, despair and bloody-mindedness, not to mention the intention to never even look at AoS and to continue building his Egyptian-themed army by other means.

That's another customer that GW have lost...

The more that GW try to destroy our hobby, the more determined we all are to get to play more 6th edition games and invent our own armies & fluff to keep it going by any means necessary...
The Dark Princess

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Darkprincess wrote:A quick phonecall to our TK player after I posted here yesterday has elicited a response that varied between anger, hatred, despair and bloody-mindedness, not to mention the intention to never even look at AoS and to continue building his Egyptian-themed army by other means.

I suggest he try Crocodile Games. Their War Gods of Aegyptus undead would fit perfectly in a TK army. They also do separate pseudo-Egyptian-style weapons he could add to regular skeletons.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.