Topic of the Week - What did your last game feel like?

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Topic of the Week - What did your last game feel like?

Post by Daeron »

Greetings Tyrants,

As we are all tabletop gamers and hobby enthusiasts, playing the game in which we are so invested tends to have a special place in our heart. Especially now, when there are multiple game systems competing for out attention and the changes brought to Warhammer I can't help but think that games must feel different nowadays.
So I'd like to ask you about that. When, and what was your last game? If it was Warhammer, did it feel like old times and nothing had changed? Or is there a sense of melancholy as the game is played in memory of its glory time? If it was the Age of Sigmar or 9th Age, did the game give you that thrill or excitement that a new game brings? Did it revitalise your enthusiasm for hobby and the game as it so often did before?

Daeron
Cornix
Warrior

Re: Topic of the Week - What did your last game feel like?

Post by Cornix »

Good morning Daeron and fellow Dread Lords and Ladys

Mine was Saturday, it was AoS and happened to the final of my first tournament in 12 years.

I was initially disappointed as my chosen opponent and nemesis lost his semi final. But the game was wonderful. My Druchii led by Malekith himself against an undead army with Settra as its general.

There were several great feelings about it, firstly it was a hard fought game that could have gone in either direction (my favourite type). Secondly despite the fact it was the final of a tournament it was friendly with jokes, laughs camaraderie from my opponent and myself (we both went for a coffee afterwards). Thirdly it made me think about how much I'm enjoying AoS, this may be controversial but AoS is quickly becoming my favourite edition of warhammer and I've played all eight previous editions.

Great game against a great person. Toy soldiers bringing people together, what more could we ask for? Hope your last game was just as much fun as mine.
Regards and best wishes
Luke

The aim of the game is to win,
the point of the game is to have fun.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

My last game was AoS as well.
My Empire against his Brets, only cavalry on both sides.
Well, not much I could do, table on turn 3 despite starting with large numeric advantage...
At least, that was useful to understand some game mechanics.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Cornix
Warrior

Post by Cornix »

Ouch, definitely a game where going second would be an advantage I imagine.

Glad it helped with mechanics. I've played against bretonnions several times in AoS now but not empire yet. Their damage output on charge is ludicrous, a lot worse once within three inches and Pegasus knights especially are something to watch out for.
Regards and best wishes
Luke

Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Since resurrecting (most) of the old gaming group, I'm just glad to be playing again and that we've all decided to escape the destruction of the Warhammer World (which never happened anyway - that's just GW heresy IMO), by retreating into the past and playing our games in 6th edition (with a few tweaks and updates here and there to include the newer stuff) as we all feel that 6th was about the best overall edition anyway. Overall, I'm happy with 6th edition and I don't see any reason to update anything (Don't fix what isn't broken) for the forseeable future.

So as for how the game actually felt, I have to say that it felt solid and familiar. It was fun because playing a tried and tested edition meant that we don't have to keep going back to our notes and rulebooks as much as we would have if we had been playing a newer game. The game in question pitted my Druchii against an awesome Tomb Kings army with 2500 points per side. Great fun and although the TK won by a fairly small margin (no matter how good your army selection and tabletop tactics, you can never beat your own dice can you?), it was a really good fight and was actually quite nostalgic getting back into the game after so many years away from it.

AoS sill has no appeal to me, but this is more to do with the fluff than the game mechanics in themselves (There are some really serious issues there though - not least of which is the lack of points costs and the "measure from the model, not the base" rule which is wide open to abuse. Having said that, AoS is a new game so maybe a lot of its issues can be fixed in due course, but the fluff changes mean that it's certainly not for me)
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I haven't played since AOS came out, so it's hard for me to really contribute to this. My last game of Warhammer was over a year ago, last January, at a minor tourney at our semi-local game store. I played 2 battles and won them both, and by extension, the event. I got a $10 gift card. Beat Chaos Warriors and Dwarves.

So yeah, it felt nice! :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Cornix
Warrior

Post by Cornix »

Good day Princess

6th was very good, I did marginally prefer the amendments 7th brought but anything was better than 5th. The terror of hero hammer, those were dark days indeed. Dark Elves vs Tomb kings was my favourite game in that edition. Both armies trying to do the same thing in completely different ways. Very monouverable (due to straight speed or movement spells) both great at getting spells off and excellent shooting. I played a five game campaign against tomb kings and enjoyed it so much it last 27 games. Only stopped because my friend moved to Australia.

I understand your issue with the background, I am willing to wait until I see how the "living background" works. Read one and own another of the three books released so far. Unfortunately I won't get what I think we all want (to discover what happens to elves) until the summer.

Mechanically AoS is very good. I've been playing warhammer for 26 years and setting aside ludicrous luck could predict how virtually any game will go within the first five minutes. No longer the case, it has huge strategic (rather than tactical) potential. If played with someone in the same way for similar reasons it plays extremely well without army composition rules although we have run several different comp set ups just the keep things quicker during game by writing lists in advance.

Congratulations Direweasel on your wins, glad you enjoyed your games even if they were a while ago.
Regards and best wishes
Luke

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Cornix wrote:Mechanically AoS is very good. I've been playing warhammer for 26 years and setting aside ludicrous luck could predict how virtually any game will go within the first five minutes. No longer the case, it has huge strategic (rather than tactical) potential. If played with someone in the same way for similar reasons it plays extremely well without army composition rules although we have run several different comp set ups just the keep things quicker during game by writing lists in advance.
Had you the time to write an elaborate text about that, it would make a great new thread.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}