Warhammer TotalWar

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Warhammer TotalWar

Post by cultofkhaine »

Well its almost out - now available on PreOrder. https://www.totalwar.com/product/total-war-warhammer

Who will be getting a copy? What do you think?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Warhammer TotalWar

Post by Daeron »

I'm looking forward to playing it, but I'm not sure I'll bite just yet. The thing is... my computer(s) are ageing and it looks like I'll just reach the minimum requirements. I'm not sure that will deliver an enjoyable gaming experience. I haven't invested in new hardware for a while and I want to spend that money on other things first, before getting a PC upgrade.

I definitely want to play this at some point, but I'm not sure if the time is now. Perhaps next year, or so.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I am in the same place, I need to update my PC to meet specs. So reliant on the work laptop these days that I hardly ever turn my personal PC on.

Definitely going to give it a go in the future, might let them work any buggy bits out first though.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Debate on T9A about the paradox to have a game on old WH, when GW killed it, and T9A would benefit fully from it but is very cautious to distanciate from GW for IP reasons.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Im in the same situation as Daeron and Ambo.

Loving what I'm seeing of the game, but no chance of playing it on current PC.

However, I am extremely happy the Warhammer World has been kept alive in a virtual format (combined with my favourite wargame no less!) ...and I look forward to being able to play Dark Elves in that format in due course... :twisted:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Calisson wrote:Debate on T9A about the paradox to have a game on old WH, when GW killed it, and T9A would benefit fully from it but is very cautious to distanciate from GW for IP reasons.

This puzzles me. How can T9A benefit "fully" from it? I fail to see any connection between Total War:Warhammer and T9A. Is the world the same? The fluff? The name of the game? The company on the splash screen? The publisher? The unit names? The models?

While I understand that T9A continues the "spirit" of the old Warhammer game, the world of the 9th age is perhaps more different from the old world than AoS is. How is a player of TW:W going to know the difference between T9A and AoS? Or any tabletop fantasy game for that matter? Perhaps KoW might feel more similar. But how will they learn that those games even exist? Compare the difference in entry barrier.
Googling Warhammer -> GW -> AoS. Or heck, other PC games for Warhammer or 40K.
Googling GW -> AoS.
Googling any unit of Warhammer -> AoS ... maybe old Warhammer sites.
I wouldn't be surprised if old Warhammer forums might see more visitors, spontaneously at least.

The only connection between T9A and Warhammer is us, the community. So unless the community makes that connection to the TW community, I don't see how TW:W players will find their way to T9A at all. Admitted, T9A has an abundance of forum warriors in its community. Perhaps if they lurk in the total war forums to chime T9A's bell every hour, it might work.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The relation is to have the "old" units displayed in TWW having an equivalent into T9A, much more than AoS.
The link is, as you mention, the community.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Apparently they are not having much luck on release day - server issues with the game crashing.

I can't wait to play it - pity they don't have dark elves in it yet.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Calisson wrote:The relation is to have the "old" units displayed in TWW having an equivalent into T9A, much more than AoS.

I disagree, strongly so. I believe the opposite is true. Google demigryph. Google chaos warrior. Google Warhammer. Google Witch Elf. What you get are GW models. Not "9th age models".
Go to GW's site:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-BE/Ho ... id=3395369
Total war. Front page.
Warhammer. Front page.

When you go to 9th Age, you see a community board. "Last posts", "top rated articles", "users online". There's a link to the rules.
http://www.the-ninth-age.com/

Click "miniatures" and you're redirected to a WIKI, which in turn contains articles for each unit which have no name similarity with the TW game. Clicking through, you either get models that have no aesthetic relationship with the total war game, or it has an aesthetic relationship because it's a GW product and the link to get it is to the GW product site.
So where is this aesthetic relationship?
Imagine pointing someone new to tabletop games to 9th Age. Do you expect them to see the relationship? Based on what?
At best you have a bunch of people with Warhammer armies that use it to play 9th Age. Just like I've seen people use Warhammer armies to play Kings of War.

But the verisimilitude is gone in the 9th Age. It made a new fluff world, just like AoS. Everything is different. Where's my Dreadlord? Where is Karond Kar? All on the Black Arks? If I'm imagining my army's fluff, it's still first and foremost in the Old World, patrolling the Northern Watchtowers, praising Khaine and defending Naggarond against Chaos Worshippers. How is that in any way related to 9th Age background?
I can take my Chaos army from the old world to the AoS world with a snap of my fingers. Granted, it's not as easy for Dark Elves. But they are at least as close to AoS as they are to 9th Age. I can scarcely recognize my army in the 9th age book.

On AoS communities, it's all talk about Total War is great and "wow". On 9th Age, it seems it can't escape the discussion whether or not it's legal to appropriate it like a resource. As if the only moral boundaries to consider are the legality of their actions? Where did this thirst come from, to appropriate a PC game they have had no input in and done nothing for?
I'm worried, and somewhat appalled by this reaction. Let me ask this.. Are they trying to appropriate this for the better of the Total War: Warhammer community?
My guess is no.

Can Total War: Warhammer not be a game about... You know... Warhammer? Something that used to bring us all together, once upon a time? I'd like to pick up a hammer and fight for the Empire once more! Or choose a Chaos Warrior and try to chant the names of the Chaos Gods before rushing into battle.
For once.. Let it be about Warhammer and the Old World.

- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Thanks for the long comment!
Actually, the internal T9A debate started because a T9A fan made a call in a TWW forum that T9A reflected it more appropriately than AoS.
The debate was more "can we let them say that?", rather than "let's prey on that!".
About T9A fluff, I agree, it is deeply missing.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Then I misunderstood.. And I am glad for it. And I appologise for my reaction. I judged wrongly.

- The stiff breeze
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Good points Dearon, as we all lost our world and especially the 9th community blames GW for it so therefore the discussion I guess. I will definitely play it but indeed in the future when I have the money for a new PC

I perceive it as a relic containing hours of video gaming experience in the Warhammer world that I loved so much (but is destroyed) and will likely miss too much to fully accept the new world, either AOS, 9th Age of KOW. Whatever happens, I will take a lot of history, traditions and culture of that Old World in the new worlds to come
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

I have a fairly new PC with a pretty gaming platform, and I am interested in playing it, but I am most definitely not an "early adopter". I typically wait about a year after a game's release before I buy it. That way, I avoid all the release day "growing pains", and pay a fraction of the cost. I can usually buy games for $10-$15 that cost over $50 the year before.

So I'm very much looking forward to getting this, and Hearts of Iron IV, in mid-late 2017 :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

For once.. Let it be about Warhammer and the Old World.

Well said Daeron.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Early reviews really whet the palate:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/total-war-warhammer

Looks like a fitting electronic immortalisation for the Warhammer World 8)
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Nice article putting the new Total War into the overall context of GW's history:

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/guest-column-a-history-of-war-hammer/1100-5452/

For over 35 years, Games Workshop’s twin fantasy worlds of Warhammer Fantasy Battle and Warhammer 40,000 (or 40K) have loomed over the tabletop gaming landscape. No less influential to miniatures wargaming than Dungeons & Dragons has been to roleplaying, they’ve long served as a British corollary to D&D: Innovative, with just a touch of the derivative to make them familiar to anyone familiar with fantasy or sci-fi, and deeply meaningful to game designers who have now had three generations to stew in the world of design which their influential forebears created.

Still, Warhammer is an odd duck. Superficially, the fantasy world isn’t anything special: There are bland humans, snooty Elves profane, salt of the earth Dwarves, and violent Orcs. Underpinning the Warhammer universe, however, is a sense of the odd. Warhammer’s Old World, a funhouse mirror of early Renaissance Europe displays a startling class consciousness missing in many fantasy worlds; the roleplaying game owes just as much to Michael Moorcock as Tolkien, particularly in early editions of Warhammer in which the dread forces of Chaos are presented as morally agnostic, as liable to enact needed change on a static world as destroy it. It was what mortals did with this primordial force which made it good or evil.

(Worth reading the full article right to the end)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Nice read!

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Yes good read!

I think GW have shot themselves in the foot with this - it is a great way to introduce new players to table top gaming only they don't support a game for it any more.

I have made the jump and bought a copy yesterday. It took a couple of hours to install at first load it looks quite good. I have not played total war before, so it's going to take a while to get my head around the game mechanics. Pity they don't have a Dark Elf faction yet.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Cultofkhaine wrote:I have made the jump and bought a copy yesterday.

Say goodbye to your life! :o

(or at least some of your miniature projects ;))

Btw everyone, check out this youtube Brets vs Empire battle report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCd8wa2rI3w

Imagine if this was Dark Elves vs High Elves! :D 8) :twisted: