The Druchii Tools are now open-source

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

The Druchii Tools are now open-source

Post by Daeron »

Greetings!

Since the title already spoiled the point, let me make it quick: the Druchii.net Tools are now open source code. The code has been uploaded to a public repository over at GitHub:
https://github.com/DaeronSyriath/Druchii-Net-Tools
This should make it possible for people to view, or work with their own copy of the tools, and.. to collaborate.

What will this mean for Druchii.net and the tools? Well.. maybe it won't change a thing. Maybe it will. That's the thing with open source :) The code is given out of hand, and while I do keep a tight leash on the original build, it's now accessible for all to copy and build on it. It might just be I created my own competition... I'll try my best to keep our code "the best" though ;)

With that out of the way, allow me a brief moment to explain this choice. What started as a fancy personal project quickly developed to become my pet project. I felt it could serve the community better under the wings of Druchii.net than my own (dying) blog. I hoped it would improve exposure for both, and give Druchii.net something unique.
I didn't notice until later that the appeal of having something unique would grow on me and made me protective about the code, more so than it needs.

I concluded this was counter productive to another goal, one that I've strived for, for a long time. That goal is to contribute to building a theorycrafting community or sub-culture within the war-gaming community. Preferably, with shared knowledge and a solid basis accessible to all.
I think that, given the code the community is a good way to support that cause. I'll keep updating and contributing to the community, not just by making the tools available but also the knowledge on how to build them. I firmly believe this is the best for the community.

The next step is probably to improve the quality of the code, documentation and the design of the program. This should not affect the users, but it might prove relevant for future endeavours, be they my own or those of others.

Thank you for reading! Happy coding!
Daeron
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: The Druchii Tools are now open-source

Post by cultofkhaine »

Congratulations Daeron!!!

Especially for all your hard work :D