Warcraft Movie

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Warcraft Movie

Post by cultofkhaine »

I just went to see the new Warcraft movie today and was blown away by the special effects! There was not much story line to it but it looked great on the big screen!

My kids have not stopped talking about it all day. Make me wonder if GW got their crap together imagine what they could do with a Warhammer Movie. It could be such a boost for the hobby, the spin off for merchandise, promotion of their stores etc etc... another Star Wars.

Has anyone else seen it yet - what did you think?
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: Warcraft Movie

Post by T.D. »

Have not seen it and tbh does not hold appeal ... maybe when it is on Cable.

But I agree that it shows the potential of a Warhammer movie. The Warhammer lore is so deep that you could easily do a 'cinematic universe' in the style of Marvel and DC.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

I'm going to see it, but what I've heard is the we havn't had seen special effects like was with the orcs since Avitar, and they steal the show. The humans are comparitly boring save for the lead actor who is from the History Chanel show "Vikings."

Still sounds fun.

And I saw the Space Marines CGI movie they did. Despite being fairly recent, its got Playstation 2 graphics, which are easily surpassed by the last couple of seasons of Red VS Blue (which is done by an indi studio). Besides that it feels rushed at a little over 70 minutes long.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

SFX were indeed amazing. I particularly enjoyed the casting effects.

Shame the story wasnt great though.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

The Orcs looked amazing and definitely stole the show - I could very easily imagine them in a Warhammer setting. The cgi did remind me a lot of Avatar.

The story was as to be expected but I did not go for the story, it was all about the visual :D
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Cultofkhaine wrote:The Orcs looked amazing and definitely stole the show - I could very easily imagine them in a Warhammer setting. The cgi did remind me a lot of Avatar.

The story was as to be expected but I did not go for the story, it was all about the visual :D

So, would you say this is the best video game based movie we've had, period?
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Yes! I'm a big fan of blizzard games. I was waiting for a cheesy moment in this film, but did not get one (Although the story was predictable)

The Orcs look awesome much better than Tolkien - apart from their softer side at some stages they would be great in a Warhammer Fantasy movie.

This Genre of film is always done badly. I loved the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, but there were a few cringe worthy moments where the action was just to way over the top for entertainment value.

I think the use of great special effects has breathed some new life into it. They could have made it much more kidish if they wanted to but I think it had a good happy mix fore everyone.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, although I wouldn't say it was a terrific movie. It was very entertaining, well-paced and visually appealing. For a long-time world of warcraft player, who did his share of RP in the game, it really captured the feeling of a lot of elements you find in the game.
The Orcs feel exactly as they should. Even the Alliance, in its boring nature, is portrayed just as they should be ;)
In WoW, the first quests for Horde players are about you proving your worth to the tribe and horde. For the Humans, your first quests are about bringing love letters around and fixing family feuds about a pig contest.

The setting was displayed brilliantly. Stormwind felt like Stormwind. Deathwind Pass was so easy to recognize they didn't need to name it. I raided Kharazan for long time, so seeing Mediv's tower and the design of specific rooms return was a lot of fun.
The Throne Room, the Cathedral, Elwynn Forrest, that one Murloc... It almost brought me tears. In the background, you can recognize a few familiar faces even though they never speak a line. I appreciated their appearance and lack of the "1 forced, mandatory line just to show they are there". The inclusion of so many details in the background without forcing knowledge about them made the movie more accessible for newcomers while giving a lot winks to the lore-fans. It also shows the wealth of lore they can build on.

That said.. Although I love the WoW universe, it's a little unhinged by comparison to the Old World of Warhammer. Geopolitics never made a lot of sense in WoW, where they seemed to rule the Old World of Warhammer. AoS seems to follow Warcraft in style though.

In the Movie they switched a few things around, probably to simplify things, reduce the amount of characters and dramatic purposes. I guess they needed a conflicted love story, and Garonna was molded on a human, so the actors can interact with one another. None of the changes really bother me. The story could use a few lovable characters for movies, and the original Lore is a bit too complicated at times. The Ulduar raid kind of sums it up: you have to save the World from annihilation by the Titans, so you can prove yourself worth of the time to save world from an Old God, so you can free yourself from this burden, just in time to save the world from the Lich King. To make sense of that, you need to know about Titans, Old Gods, the Burning Legion, the Horde, Ner'zhul (and Gul'dan), the Scourge, Arthas becoming the Lich King, etc etc etc...
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Cultofkhaine wrote:The Orcs look awesome much better than Tolkien - apart from their softer side at some stages they would be great in a Warhammer Fantasy movie.

I like the different ways they are displayed in their respective universes. But they are different. In Tolkien, Orcs are generally displayed as a tool. They don't really have a lot of personality. In the Old World, they did have some personality and offered some comic relief. In WoW they are a people. They have culture, lives, love, anger, ... They have something to fight for, other than the next battle even though they are a war-minded people.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze