An interesting day

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

An interesting day

Post by Shadowspite »

I might not be posting much for the next week or so.

As some of you know, I'm in France right now at my parents' place. A couple of days ago, my Dad started getting indigestion-like symptoms. We'd been moving a delivery of firewood into the open-fronted hangar we use to store it prior to cutting and splitting it, and he'd overdone it as he tends to do. But it just seemed like indigestion. And he was OK the next day. We thought.

But this morning he said he felt like someone was standing on his chest. So we called the sapeurs-pompiers. In France, that's who you call when your loved one is having a heart attack. This is not our first rodeo.

So, two of our local doctors turned up, along with a red ambulance and a couple of paramedics. They gave Dad oxygen and checked his heart with a nifty little portable ECG that spat out a long strip of paper with a worryingly irregular wiggly line on it. Another ambulance and a second pair of paramedics appeared a few minutes later.

The nearest hospital with a cardiology department is in Perigueux, the best part of an hour away. Mum and I followed in the car.

They put two new stents in to reopen arteries near my Dad's heart. They can keep company with the one he got in Caen, Normandy, 22 years ago. He is doing well, and should be out of the hospital within a week. Not bad for an 80-year-old. But French medical care is awesome.

So, anyway, I'll be spending a lot of time at Perigueux hospital for the next few days, giving Dad someone to talk to in English.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Re: An interesting day

Post by cultofkhaine »

All the best for you and your dad - I hope he is on the mend soon.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

French medicine is top - costs taxpayers a lot, but we got what we pay for. Your father is in good hands. The trick was to get him soon enough in the hospital, done.
Take care!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Good luck. Hopfully there are some hobby shops nearby to give you a break. THe Kaiser Oakland where my dad was seemed to be surrounded by them, as we;; as a rea;y good icescream shop we snuk in milkshakes for him from. Hopefully the one your Dad is in is in a similar location.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Best wishes for your Dad and whole family.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

All the best to your family and your dad. I hope he recovers well.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I can only echo others best wishes. Hope all goes well.
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Speedy recovery!

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Off-topic: It looks like we're 8 of us sufficiently emotionally engaged to D.net community to write in this thread.
Good news for the future of our website! :D
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Thanks for the well-wishes, guys. The French doctors seem to be very upset with how the British medical system has 'neglected' Dad's heart over the past 20-odd years. Seems his annual check-ups should have involved a bit more than the GP just asking him if he feels OK.

He seems to be doing well now, and should be home in a few days. But it sounds like he needs to be on statins, which caused hallucinations and severe depression the last time he tried them. It might just be a matter of getting the dose right, though. But it's worrying.

Calisson wrote:Off-topic: It looks like we're 8 of us sufficiently emotionally engaged to D.net community to write in this thread.
Good news for the future of our website! :D

I must admit that thought did occur to me, too.

Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Glad to hear that your dad is doing well now. Hopefully he will make a full recovery very soon. It's refreshing to hear some good news for a change.
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Best wishes to your father for a speedy and full recovery. Hope the medication will turn out okay.

Shadowspite wrote:Seems his annual check-ups should have involved a bit more than the GP just asking him if he feels OK.

... I found this shocking enough to highlight, and yet have nothing to add to this.
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Dad is out of the hospital for now. He will be going back in sometime in the next fortnight to have yet another stent put in. They have completely changed his medication regime, and he needs to see a cardiologist (i.e. not just his GP!) every six months, forever.

The problems he had with statins previously were most likely a result of him being on too high a dose. Something else our British doctors seem not to have been able to spot.

Anyway, thanks again for all the kind responses. Now go contribute to the "What do we want the future..." thread and help save this community!

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Dad is going back into the hospital today to have that extra stent put in. The doctors say there's no evidence of any damage to his heart and they all seem very impressed with how strong it is (I realise there's something slightly Donald Trump about this sentence, but never mind :P ). The benefits of having spent his youth doing gymnastics and military training, I suppose. Everything should be more or less back to normal by the end of this week, hopefully, and then I can turn my attention back towards this place...

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hoping you achieve a similar resurrection to D.net as you helped achieve for your Dad!
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Right, as I have been hinting in a couple of other threads, there have been developments. None of them really what you'd call 'good'.

Dad is getting terrible side-effects from the beta-blocker he is on, making his life an utter misery. His GP is aware and he is slowly reducing the dose. But it is quite stressful. We're having to do most of the consultations with the GP by phone as getting an appointment to see him face-to-face is... well, about what you'd expect from a chronically underfunded NHS in the desolate wasteland that is the North of England. That means I am having to do all the talking, because Dad cannot use the phone due to his tinnitus and hearing loss (from his time in the RAF).

There is the possibility of moving Dad back onto the drug regimen he was on prior to this latest heart attack, but nobody quite knows if one of those drugs will interact badly with the anti-platelet drug he is now on (and has to be on for 12 months after getting the stent). So it's a bit up in the air still.

Meanwhile, my Mum's Canadian sister* has died of complications following bowel cancer surgery. So Mum is not at her best right now (and not really up to looking after Dad, so I've had to step in). And she (Mum, not her sister) has been diagnosed with a basal cell carcinoma. Thankfully, it seems it can be easily removed and isn't life-threatening in any case. But, hey, being diagnosed with cancer right after your sister died because of cancer isn't stressful at all, right? :roll:

This fething year, eh? It's almost enough to make one believe in maltheism. :evil:

*As in, the sister who lives in Canada, as distinct from the sister who used to be her brother who lives in Scotland. My Mum has an interesting family. :P

:burns:

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Best wishes for your mother and father.

A good acupuncturist/herbalist might be able to help your father.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Sending good vibes your way! Don't forget to look after yourself as well (you can often forget to when looking after others)
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Sorry to hear about your dad, and with this being the day after Armistice Day, I'd be remiss if I didn't also express gratitude for his RAF Service as well.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Well wishes from America.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Shadowspite wrote:This fething year, eh? It's almost enough to make one believe in maltheism.
Learned two words today.
Thanks for update. Shows that there is more than toy soldiers which unite forum members.

About maltheism, well, if that eases your pain, why not. Still, from a cold, distant observation point, you're far from having a convincing argument. Indeed, note: 1. how worse is fate for billions of humans, past and present and 2. how better is fate for bilions of humans, past and present. No possible rationale conclusion.

But your cry is not for rationality. Could be for empathy, could be for help.
The teaching of Bible religions (assuming you belong to one of the relevant branches) includes the story of Job. To meditate.
There are other teachings, for example in Buddhism, to help acceptance of life as it comes and goes, the good and the bad.
Enjoy the good things as they come, and when they go, remember them and look forwards for new ones to come later.

Beyond religions, hoping for better times is a deep human feeling. If you foresee nothing better for your kins, then there are still better times to anticipate either in a better world, or here for future generations. And anyone can contribute, with his/her skills, no matter limited.
I met years ago a man, born in a remote village in a poor country belonging to war and draught-plagued Horn of Africa. He was crippled with polio. He could only be a beggar. Then someone taught him to read and write, with his able hand. He became a teacher instead. And found people even more desperate than him. And decided that he had to help them. He is now a teacher in a refugee camp, and during his free time, he organizes a school for deaf children in his home town.

Overall, there are bad times, granted. There will be better times too, as long as there is hope and goodwill.
Peace in your mind.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

There i also Skyrim: Who needs drugs and booze when you have Tamrial?

In all seriousness, I went through something similar with my Dad's cancer to the point where we called his hospital he spent extensive amounts of time in "Hotel Kaiser." If you need to talk, send me a PM.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Calisson wrote:The teaching of Bible religions (assuming you belong to one of the relevant branches) includes the story of Job. To meditate.
There are other teachings, for example in Buddhism, to help acceptance of life as it comes and goes, the good and the bad.
Enjoy the good things as they come, and when they go, remember them and look forwards for new ones to come later.

Beyond religions, hoping for better times is a deep human feeling. If you foresee nothing better for your kins, then there are still better times to anticipate either in a better world, or here for future generations. And anyone can contribute, with his/her skills, no matter limited.
I met years ago a man, born in a remote village in a poor country belonging to war and draught-plagued Horn of Africa. He was crippled with polio. He could only be a beggar. Then someone taught him to read and write, with his able hand. He became a teacher instead. And found people even more desperate than him. And decided that he had to help them. He is now a teacher in a refugee camp, and during his free time, he organizes a school for deaf children in his home town.

Overall, there are bad times, granted. There will be better times too, as long as there is hope and goodwill.
Peace in your mind.

Thanks for those wise words Calisson :)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

T.D. wrote:Thanks for those wise words Calisson :)

No way! They were for Shadowspite, not for you... :mrgreen:
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Calisson wrote:
T.D. wrote:Thanks for those wise words Calisson :)

No way! They were for Shadowspite, not for you... :mrgreen:

Wise words for everyone ;)