Topic of the Week - Your first model

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Topic of the Week - Your first model

Post by Daeron »

The topic of the week seemed to be appreciated in 2016, so why not try the initiative again?

This week, the inspiration comes from kvothe12 and ShadowSpite:
Maybe we should all dig out the first model we ever painted and put up a pic of it alongside one of a more recent model. I think it might be good for new hobbyists to see just how big a difference a few years can make to one's painting abilities.

So let's join in! Post pictures of the first model you ever painted! Bonus points for adding a picture of your last model painted, for comparison :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Topic of the Week - Your first model

Post by Lord Drakon »

My first model

Although I somehow became anti Black Guard (I have never played with them or purchased after my first models) this model was actually what turned me to the Dark Side. I was 8 years old, 19 years back. I am not sure yet what to do with this guy conversion wise. Maybe just give him his halberd back and try those Black Guards for once .

My last model
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I enjoyed 7th ed Black Guards in 8th ed WFB. I don't think I fielded them in the 8th ed book yet, but I still love the models.. both old and new.
Those are some nice pictures, and such a tremendous improvement. Did you paint it like that 19 years ago?
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

The first proper GW mini I ever painted (as far as I can remember) was this Space Ork. It was 1994 or thereabouts and I was 12:

As you can see, it's all flat colours. My only attempt at 'shading' was leaving the black undercoat visible in some of the recesses. I seem to have given him some battle damage on his armour plates by scratching through the paint to the metal underneath (most GW miniatures were still made of metal back then - and still had lead in the alloy). And I apparently believed that blood looked like red paint splodged on haphazardly.

I am actually somewhat impressed that my 12-year-old self took the time to paint his eyes, teeth and nose ring. Not very neatly, but at least I tried. Shame I must have lost interest before starting on the base.

He had a paper back-banner once that I photocopied from an old WD my brother lent me and then coloured in with felt-tip pens. But it must have fallen off at some point, because there's no trace of it now.

For comparison, the most recent minis I have painted are still my DE Shades from back in August:

"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

I've been doing this for so long now that I'm struggling to remember which was my first model, but here are a few contenders for that position;

Elora, Druchii Sorceress
Lonicera's lesbian lover & apprentice sorceress. Sorry about the crap photo. The dress paintjob was an attempt to make it look transparent, but wasn't altogether successful :?

Lonicera, Dark Princess of Slaanesh
The old Morathi figure becomes "Lonicera with the Staff of Kython". The bead is real amethyst. Sadly she's lost the crescent off the top :(

Dechala, The Denied One
Converted (quite badly) from witch elf bits and green stuff - My first attempt at sculpting a snake lady (sadly it shows). Note the 25 / 40mm adapter base was added much later. Originally she was on a normal 40mm square base as I used to field her as a Chaos Spawn / Fiend of Slaanesh back in the day. She still looks better than GW's butt-ugly version though (assuming that monstrosity is even still available these days)
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Here is mine.
Man I need to get an updated vertion of him as he's been changed a few times.

Essentialy he is essentialy an old pewter Dark Rider back when we had to make our own charecters or use the special ones. I added a hooded sea dragon cloak, with a toothpock broken in half for the horns.

The cape has gotten longer and flowier, the codone he rides is still red but now its that resin one they had durring Storm of Magic, and he has a plastic cutass arm instead of a spear.

Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

From left to right:
  • The brettionian archers that came with the standard painting set... The first plastic model I put paint on. I didn't want to risk a proper (elf) model :) But I just wanted to see if I could paint a model.. I wasn't particularly interested in the model itself.
  • The first Dark Elf I painted. I tried to do some highlights etc. Although I liked the model, I still felt like the colours weren't my thing, and that's when I turned to blue.
  • A spear elf from the latest batch, finished in 2016.

- The stiff breeze