New Elf models

Discuss the art of war for the Dark Elves and the inferior races that dare to oppose them here.

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

New Elf models

Post by Killerk »

Well you know what happened to our model line. Its been a long time now, and nothing interesting came out. So I have decided to act on it. This weekend I have pondered upon this, and decided to go for it, I have made a few sketches, and I decided not to learn how to sculpt, but went for the 3d approach, 3 days later I have a head and helmet foe the HE line. Yes I know, but the He are the simplest to do with their neat and soft edges. Once I get some skill in the matter I will go and modify them to make WE and our beloved Druchii.

I want it to be the core of all the 3 armies, with the following equipment available
X-bow
Bow
Spear
Hand weapon
Dagger
Shield
And command group options.

You can follow my progress on my FB page. I'm currently updating daily, so I can follow my progress... you can follow my progress.
[url]
https://www.facebook.com/kkgamingsoluti ... 58/?type=3[/url]

Since I'm sculpting a total amount of 3 days and no prior experience in the matter and and all comments welcome.
Also known as Kanadian
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: New Elf models

Post by Amboadine »

Will follow with interest, please give us regular updates here on the forum too if you have time?
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Hi Killerk - this is something that interests me greatly!

What software are you using to create the models with?

I have been doing some research and looking around the place, things like Solid Works are just to expensive for me - I have been looking for something that is cheap to get / easy to use.

Do you know what the big mini manufacturers are using?

The cost of 3D printers is coming down so much these days its almost in the realm of the everyday man to output these types of things.

I like your work so far - will be watching this space.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Sure, I have actually made a decision to quit my job, and hope to be going full time in hobby mode starting march :o_O:, sounds crazy, but lets see how it goes.

I'm using Blender, the price is acceptable as it is free. Its not the most simple thing to use, but like I said no experience before, and in 3 days I'm getting things done.

Most cheap 3d printers don't have the necessary precision to make models, but it seems the way the world is heading. A good thing is that near by the second biggest 3d printing factory in Europe is being opened this year, and they will have the most advanced machines in the world, plus a whole bunch of them, so this seems interesting to use. But next week I have a meting scheduled to hopefully we can agree to terms to get a few companies merged and kick of a professional resin foundry.
Last edited by Killerk on Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Also known as Kanadian
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Thanks Killerk - I will have to have a look and give it a try.

Looking forward to see how you go with this and good luck with the new job prospect!
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Also known as Kanadian
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Looking Good.

I downloaded a copy of Blender the other day - quite impressed, I now need to get my head around the software :D
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Well I think I have the basis for the HE light armour done.

What do you think?
Also known as Kanadian
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Looking nice!

I think the shields need more variation. The scale mail looks good, I'm interested to see how you wrap it around the model.

The HE Armour that you have - did you create that from scratch or is it a prebuilt mesh that you have loaded and modified further.

This is very exciting watching you work on this.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Yea, I will be returning to the shields, as I already did some work on the HE one, but I wanted to finish the HE light Armour. I should finish it up today.

I too am very interested how I'm going to wrap the scales around the "skirt" :?, I have an idea, just dont know how it will turn out !lol!.

I built it from scratch, I dont want to risk any copy right incidents, in the future.
Also known as Kanadian
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Speaking of shields.... I have a shortage of shields. Will it be possible to buy them separately?
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Did not think so far a head, but 99% yes, you will be able to get them separately. Bits in conversion packs were always my favorite to have. Always bought them always loved them.
Also known as Kanadian
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

The Shields and other accessories will be available for purchase faster than I have anticipated.
First thing March I will be reading them for production :D. We will probably be releasing a kick Starter with model ranges this year, But bits and so on will be released sooner.

Also nice update on FB.
Also known as Kanadian
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Nice Rat and Snake heads!

How long is it taking you to model these up in blender?
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Well the snake took a while, as I wanted to do a mesh, and I'm just learning the basics, and a lot of the tools I don't fully understand. So there is a lot of redoing, and just playing around to see hoe it works.
As the rat head about 2 hours, after I found the option I missed, it took like 30 min to finish. Before that it was a nightmare !mad!, Now its simple :D
Also known as Kanadian