Going back in time! With an 8th kicker! Advice!

Discuss the art of war for the Dark Elves and the inferior races that dare to oppose them here.

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Gladerider
Trainee Warrior

Going back in time! With an 8th kicker! Advice!

Post by Gladerider »

Hello all!
I know everyone's opinion is different so this might be a difficult question! Out of all units in the 8th edition book what is the best unit? Ok ok like I said difficult, I apologize. How about best unit for shooting/magic heavy army? And best unit for just straight up ground and pound?
Ok maybe I should have started with this, my group has decided to play throwback fantasy, cause most are unhappy with 8th. (Surprise surprise) They want to play with 6th, which I'm ok with, but they want to add one unit from 8th as a rare choice in our lists, does that make sense? At any rate that's why the above questions.
Now also because I haven't played for some time I need some ideas for both of the above lists, but in 6th edition!
I hope I didn't ramble on to much, and that you also understand what I'm looking for! Also hope this was the right thread! I am way rusty guys anything that any of you can offer would be awesome!
Thank you for viewing my post and I would really love to hear from all of you!
I am Druchii Master, hear me roar!

"If the day after tomorrow was yesterday three days ago, what would tomorrow be?"
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Going back in time! With an 8th kicker! Advice!

Post by Calisson »

Easy: warlocks
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Well, I'd say if you're adding an 8th edition unit to 6th edition, it doesn't matter how good or bad that unit's rules are in 8th edition, does it? Because you're not going to be using the 8th edition rules. Pick the unit you like the concept, fluff and models the best and then come up with 6th-edition-compatible stats and rules for it. You can make it as powerful or otherwise as you like and balance it with points and rarity accordingly.

If it were me, I'd probably choose the Sisters of Slaughter. Or maybe the Kharibdyss. I hate the warlock models and don't really like their concept and fluff either (IMO, renegade male sorcerers should just use the sorceress stats/rules; a whole unit of spellcasters makes no sense in WH lore unless they're daemons).
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Converting the rules and stats from 8th to 6th shouldn't really be too much trouble, and while Callison is right that the Warlocks make for an effective unit, they do sort of fly in the face of established fluff (as Shadowspite has pointed out) as male sorcerers are forbidden within Druchii society - Malekith's fragile male ego doesn't like competition, it would appear :)

I suppose you could get away with them if you said that your army was a renegade / heretic one, but then you'd have to write some fluff to back this up - ie. how and why this became the case (OK, we all know that you don't actually need fluff to play, but I think it certainly adds enormously to the fun)

I remember when I first started Druchii, way back when 6th edition was new, I wasn't happy with the whole Khaine thing, so I came up with a background story saying that my DE worship Slaanesh, which represents my own personality much better, even going to the lengths of developing my own special Cult of Pleasure army list and rules. That also went against fluff (yes, there are Slaaneshis within DE society but again they're forbidden and have to operate in secret). I remember being variously criticised, chastised and occasionally trolled over my decision to build a Slaaneshi DE army, but I stuck with it and then, a few years later, GW released the official DE Cult of Slaanesh army list for the Storm of Chaos campaign in 2004, and it was really very similar to my own list, so I guess any variation is possible if you're prepared to put a bit of time into the fluff and rules.

I'm still with Shadowspite regarding the warlocks though, but ultimately, anything is possible, and it's really nice to see someone else playing 6th edition (Still the best IMO)
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

there was a prophecy that a male elf wielding magic will be the down fall of him. That could be a reason, I don't know.
Also known as Kanadian
Gladerider
Trainee Warrior

Post by Gladerider »

Thank you all for the feedback! Warlocks is the first unit that popped into my head, then my buddy started throwing all these bad @&& units at me and threw me off lol! It's gonna be mixed up, a group of us that play are just making the rules to fit our needs! Mostly 6th but adding a thing or 2! Which I don't see a problem with if all of my local group agree!
We are choosing to play the 1 unit from 8 th with its 8th rules, maybe complicated maybe not, depending I guess!
As for the fluff and the story I understand all points of view, and honestly I don't know the complete history of the dark elves cause I always just wanted to play lol!
So it's been awhile for me but in 6th edition, our strongest tactic was bait and flee correct? Setting up for flank charges? So most of the strongest list for this edition included mainly DR with harpies and shades, magic strong, with 1 or 2 heavy blocks! Would this be accurate?
With what I remember about it and this being the case I want a mobile army, very fast, and setting up for multiple flank charged with said units? I think I'm on the right path with my thinking!
I'm not great with this sight either so I would appreciate if someone could guide me to a link maybe, that has some 6th edition lists I could compare my thoughts to?!

Again thank you all for taking time to read my post and respond! You guys are awesome and that's why I love dark elves! Thank you so much!
I am Druchii Master, hear me roar!

"If the day after tomorrow was yesterday three days ago, what would tomorrow be?"
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

Why at all sticking with official GW editions?
Since GW abandoned WH some fanmade editions finally got the attention they deserve, including reworked 6th/7th ones. At least one of them I know and play atm, and it works quite well.