BACK AND ANGRY!

Discuss the art of war for the Dark Elves and the inferior races that dare to oppose them here.

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Ichiyo1821
Highborn

BACK AND ANGRY!

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

I am BACKKKK AND I AM PISSED!

Sorry to call the kettle black but after years of hiatus (well sorta, just was on the other side of the fence with 40K and recently X-Wing and ALMOST went Malifaux and Warmahordes) I am back but it 'aint all roses! !mad! :evil:

So forgive me for the rant but please do allow me to vent some steam off, Callisson, Tethlis, Daeron if you are still here daymnmnn! :P

So I've playing Dark Eldar, Death Korps of Kreig Imperial guard (cuz F calling them Astra Militarum) and now recently LOTS of X-Wing however death in the family causes you to think back a bit and strangely I missed my Elves! So not entirely out of the loop, I've waited for Age of S.... to kinda marinate, to settle from the crappy 4 page rulebook ( and no, while I do believe that in simplicity one's true talent can shine in terms of tactics for example, a bad game is a bad game). Lo and behold comes the General's handbook and though they bought back points and "streamlined" the game, AOS is just no t my cup of tea.

So a buddy of mine and my old local playing group who still plays WHFB are really deep into 9th Age so I said why not I have all my models anyway and nothing new came out for DE so it shouldn't be a problem for me to pick it up again. So far I can say that my personal "growth" as a wargamer broadened I guess since. I normally approach any and all strategy games the same way thus any and every little wisdom I pick up regardless of the gaming system I get into eventually teaches me something about miniature wargaming either I was did not know prior or was an area I could improve on. I have always preferred to look into game mechanics and tactics more than the rules per se and often factor in psychology more than actual combos which pretty much sums my disappointment that despite my best efforts to like AOS, almost everything I love from late 4th edition to 8th were thrown out of the window. For me the biggest gripe was the loss of character and feel of armies. I was already a bit frustrated that they reduced the number of magical items and what nots that the old army books had that gave armies their "flavor" then they followed up by making even to hit and wound rolls generic at best to the point that no matter what special rules they have for a unit, it just doesn't give me the 'ol feel of diversity and role specification vital to army building and general gamplay that pre AOS had. I can argue for both sides of the coin with what I do llike about AOS but again, it's just not what an old player like me can come to grips as of yet.

Ok gripe over.

I love my evil elves, I love them so much I bought an army of their evil space elf equivalent. Dark Elves, Dread Elves, Aelvs?? Whatever you want to call them, they will always be Druchii in my eyes. I missed WHFB. But most of all I do miss loving Games-Workshop. I miss discussing tactics and game theories to Fantasy players and about everything there is to pre AOS Warhammer. Now that I do have a bit more of time while I contemplate taking masterals, I wanted to take time sharing what I have learned in the past few years. So that's pretty much it. I have browsed what the tactics section looks like and though I may not have read any of the new ones, I am so impressed that Druchii.net is still the best site I have ever seen that discusses tactics, army building, gameplay etc etc and I have been through A LOT of forums on different systems and faction/race based sites. I do hope I get to write an article soon for you guys and I hope I step it up a bit to match all the great contributors that have since been here. Thanks and it's great to be back!
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: BACK AND ANGRY!

Post by T.D. »

Good to see you posting here again, Ichiyo.

I have browsed what the tactics section looks like and though I may not have read any of the new ones, I am so impressed that Druchii.net is still the best site I have ever seen that discusses tactics, army building, gameplay etc etc and I have been through A LOT of forums on different systems and faction/race based sites.

High praise indeed!

Your contribution, especially the stand out article you wrote based on the Book of Five Rings, is an integral part of the quality and history of D.net -- so thank you 8)

Alas, forum traffic here has really slowed down post-End Times. The community is discussing doing something about it, but the wheels are barely turning...

...we're not quite dead, but more of an archive than an active hub at the moment :(
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Pretty much all the WFB sites I frequent are suffering the same malaise. Druchii.net is actually doing better than many!

It looks like most people have abandoned WFB entirely. Some went over to AoS, some to KoW, and others to 9th Age. The 9th Age forums are very active - I don't frequent forums for the other two as I don't play them.
jtrowell
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by jtrowell »

Well, people switching to 9th age or Kings of War might be in fast them keeping the old Warhammer Fantasy Battle more alive than those playing AoS.

To the OP, if 9th age is not to your tastes, maybe you might like Kings of War better ?

At first it might seems like too simplified when coming from the old Warhammer, but in practice it was made so that each choice has value.

For exemple in Warhammer you buy your units soldier per soldier, and can in theory use any ranked formation you want, but in practice there is always one or maybe two optimal formations that you always see taken.

In KoW, as you buy the unit as a whole and not per model, the points costs are adapted to the effective power of the unit so that for exemple a horde of 40 models will cost slightly less than two regiments of 20 of the same type.

Also in KoW movement is very important (think of the good parts of Warhammer 7th edition without the bad ones, normal as Alessio Calvatore was the one who wrote the KoW rules) with a consequence that someone who would try to build an army with only big elite deathstarts would be easily flanked and killed by a even a simply army of human soliders, elite units are very good but need support to be at their best, if only to prevent them for being surrounded.
There's a reason why the UK champion of last year used a few zombies regiments in his undead army. ^_^

And about customisation, KoW has a list of artefact, as you cannot equip more than one per unit (and no duplicate per army) it might seem more limited than Warhammer at first, until you realise than most of them can be equipped on (almost) any unit and not only characters, opening many options.

Par exemple I might give the diadem of dragon kind to a spearmen unit to give them a breath attack, and as KoW is usually played with open lists, I might chose to represent it by putting a young dragon wyrmling model in the unit as the unit mascot (and source of the breath attack), it will both look nice, as well as help myself and my opponent remember that the unit has an artefact.

Another popular artefact is the brew of strength, it's like giving +1S to any unit in wharammer.

You had a project where you converted dark elves spear into halberds, thinking at first to use them as black guard but you have since bought the new plastic black guard and your dark elves halberdiers are no longer in use ? Play them as dark elves spearmen with the brew of strenght, and voilà you have a new unique unit in your army. (and a horde would be rather effective even with the cost of the artefact added)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Like T.D., I remember Ichiyo1821 = Go Rin No Sho. :P
Nice to see you back, buddy! :D

Tethlis not seen for ages.
Daeron there nearly daily.
Callisson, never seen a post fom that guy.
Myself don't know KoW but very deeply engaged in 9th Age. The armies will remain very customizable, but there will be obvious preferred style for each army. Tendency for DE = aggressive elves (mobility for melee and short range), where SE are more elusive and HE more defensive.

Discussion for Druchii.net is to merge with Ulthuan and Asrai, with some common forum (P&M), some separate forums, and inclusion of many games.
Technically feasible now that all 3 sites hosted on same forum (Malekith Khorne won! - Thx Daeron). Progress is slow, better achieve it sooner otherwise sum of 0+0+0 will be still 0.

Rork edit: #MissionAccomplished
EDIT: Rork was there, too.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

jtrowell wrote:Well, people switching to 9th age or Kings of War might be in fast them keeping the old Warhammer Fantasy Battle more alive than those playing AoS.

To the OP, if 9th age is not to your tastes, maybe you might like Kings of War better ?

Ah no. I like 9th Age so far, its AOS I don't. :P
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

Calisson wrote:Like T.D., I remember Ichiyo1821 = Go Rin No Sho. :P
Nice to see you back, buddy! :D

Tethlis not seen for ages.
Daeron there nearly daily.
Callisson, never seen a post fom that guy.
Myself don't know KoW but very deeply engaged in 9th Age. The armies will remain very customizable, but there will be obvious preferred style for each army. Tendency for DE = aggressive elves (mobility for melee and short range), where SE are more elusive and HE more defensive.

Discussion for Druchii.net is to merge with Ulthuan and Asrai, with some common forum (P&M), some separate forums, and inclusion of many games.
Technically feasible now that all 3 sites hosted on same forum (Malekith Khorne won! - Thx Daeron). Progress is slow, better achieve it sooner otherwise sum of 0+0+0 will be still 0.

Rork edit: #MissionAccomplished

Apologies! I always read your handle with 2L's Hahaha! I see all all elves unite now huh...can I still make fun of em *******? :lol: !lol!
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Calisson wrote:Progress is slow, better achieve it sooner otherwise sum of 0+0+0 will be still 0.

And we all know how many comments that thread had seen in the past couple of weeks - very hot and cold!

Welcome back to the forum :D