Logo
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Long live WFB! 
Malekith's Best Friend

Greetings,

Januari's been a busy month for me, but it's almost done. So with the start of Februari, I'd like to start a few initiatives to keep WFB alive and kicking. I would like keep playing WFB 8th, in particular, but I still have a fond memory of 6th ed as well.

But before I start spamming the forum with random topics, is there anything specific you would like to read, or discuss for WFB?
What would you like to read, to keep your juices and interest in the hobby flowing?

Cheers,
Daeron

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Malekith's Personal Guard

Welcome back! I also just returned and looking forward to an active druchii.net again. For me it would be tactical stuff! As a relative new player I was still discovering so much when it was killed. I am sure can motivate a 8th edition battle in my area from time to time.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:05 pm
Malekith's Personal Guard

It would be nice to see some discussion on material from the Warhammer Armies Project as well.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:13 pm
Malekith's Best Friend

Interesting point... I had forgotten to check the Warhammer Armies project. I'm surprised to see them stepping it up to 9th edition. Personally, I'd rather see them as an addition to 8th still. Perhaps they support both?
Anyhow. I would like to try a few "alternative armies" within the dark elf army, structured by theme. We could structure them by theme, city or religion. 8th ed still provides a reasonably good framework within which we can operate.

But I would also like to discuss how you experience WFB now. Are you all still playing? Do you still have a gaming group or club for it? What would you need or like to see to revitalise the game, if it needs it?

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze

Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:29 am
Profile WWW
Highborn

Im still trying to keep 8th going, with two of my mates. (one of whom almost missed the entire 8th edition but now is getting back in the game).
With him i'm getting ready to play the blood of sigmar campaign this weekend(my emipre vs his VC).
A nice way of some army building&painting and for him to get a better grip on the rules as they're fairly small games in the beginning.

Between the 3 of us we have about 10 armies and almost every supplement and campaign book 8th ed had to offer. So a bit of houserulling as we go but i dont see changing any time soon.
Planning our first T&T, and I really want to tryout SoM.

Besides that we are busy on creating a Mordheim city and just played the old warhammer quest last week for the first time after 15 years or so. And obviously there is always So much to paint and im hoping to get back at that on a weekly basis.

Quote:
Anyhow. I would like to try a few "alternative armies" within the dark elf army, structured by theme. We could structure them by theme, city or religion. 8th ed still provides a reasonably good framework within which we can operate.

Completly agree on this, when The ET started and the Nagash book came out, i thought i finally had a way of grouping all my, over the last 16 years, differently painted dark elves, in various states of completion, in 3 seperate groups. State Troops (purple obviously), An old Har ganeth family (pale blue and black)and temple troops (green, yes green).

I even started a tale of the family being torn apart by the different allegiances the siblings have. Finally, i had some fluff to back up my armies and characters. I was even planning on naming them and what not..That was untill after Nagash everything turned out to be quite rubbish, and sucked the fun out of it. Still have the skaven and chaos book to finish but just couldnt get myself to do it.Maybe I wil some day.

Painting wise i Will keep the 3 factions and i might even finish the story. My army fluff will therefor be stuck in the early ET.

My main interests will be, painting and modeling (tips and tricks would be great) , fluff and storyteling and maybe opinions on certain houserulling. I always wanted to write a decent Battlereport with a background story.
The only time i was planning on doing that, the centre of the story was going to be my crossbowmenlordling clawing his way up the ranks battle after battle, his unit got runover by some blasted Mournfangs in the second or third turn of the first battle. So maybe ill give that another go.

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman

Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:58 pm
Warrior

Chiming in here to say 8th Ed is alive and well in my house. My friend and roommate gifted me his old Dark Elf army for Christmas and the last month all 4 of us (me, Bretonnia, Daemons of Chaos, and Orks/Goblins who basically only plays Night Gobbos/Monsters) have been in the basement modeling, painting, playing warbands and a few big games.
I'm a complete beginner to to the game and hobby so I'm just trying to suck up as much 8th Ed info as possible! I'm particularly interested in tactics vs. the above armies and painting tutorials/tips/instructions-just started in on the Cold Ones last night, trying to get a glowing from the inside effect going by washing with Hoeth Blue and dry brushing greens/blues atop that, hoping it works out.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:29 pm
Malekith's Best Friend

That's all good news. Here is what I would like to do for 8th edition (not taking into account feasability ;)):
  • I keep my tool support active and going. 8th ed and AoS are still my goto versions of Warhammer. If we find support failing for 8th edition, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
  • Create a big ass map for Naggaroth, and perhaps Ulthuan too. If I'd have the resources, the whole world, but let's start with Naggaroth
  • Topical discussions on different places of Naggaroth, trying to understand how a city or place looked and worked
  • Alternative army composition lists, following a theme: Corsair list, temple of khaine, Hag Graef, Ghrond, .... These should be tested for balance. The goal is to stick to original units as much as possible, but perhaps repurpose them. If we need to deviate, then one or two new units can be made.
  • Scenery projects, trying to recreate Naggaroth on the table.
  • Paint and build my army, which I failed for the past 10 years.
  • Try more exotic builds and constructs within the official book rules, assuming a not too competitive environment. Just how far have we explored the potential of our units?
  • Maybe write my army's lore
  • A proper Ulthuan invasion campaign. Perhaps a recreation of the Sundering?

Plenty more ideas than I have time to complete. But that also means the hobby is long from being finished for me ;)

- The stiff breeze

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:04 am
Profile WWW
Malekith's Best Friend

I know it has been a long time but I want to keep the traffic going.

So, it has been 6 months, how's 8th edition coming along for you?

I have been playing AOS mostly. Didn't use dark elves much except some executioners, darkshards and cold one knights for some heavy lifting.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]