9th Age - ETC & Swedish collaboration rule set

This forum is created in support of the development of http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?board/5-elves-of-darkness/

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Cicciuz
Warrior

Re: 9th Age - ETC & Swedish collaboration rule set

Post by Cicciuz »

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/news/index ... k-peak-10/

It would be nice to have at least one of us in the group that will re-write the army book, what do you think?
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

i really like this, there are a few points that we came up ourselfs allready, so we will be trying for sure.
i think the 5+ parrysave is a bit much though.
i agree that (our) swordsmen need some sort of boost .but the dwarven shieldwallrule gets screwed this way.
maybe a one point reduction or a +1 ws bonus? (allthough empire swordsmen got that allready and would be ws5 hat way).
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

New beta is out and from what little I have seen this far, it looks awesome!

Parry save is -1 to hit now by the way!

ASF ---> +1 to hit instead, hitting in initiative order for I0 weapons (such as GW)

Only the warlock champion will be a wizard, so you can choose to have a cheaper warlock unit without magic or the more expensive option with magic! :)
Cicciuz
Warrior

Post by Cicciuz »

I think we should start a proper section on this forum to comment the new rules and the new tactics.

moreover, please post on the 9th age forum as well as we need our voice to be heard. Thanks Marcopollo and Vulcan for being active there ;)
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Cicciuz wrote:I think we should start a proper section on this forum to comment the new rules and the new tactics.

It is currently a conscious choice to keep the amount of different forum sub groups to a minimum. We are not exactly getting a lot of traffic at the moment, so keeping it within a limited set of areas seems logical.

If however it does become the next big thing and adopted then this may be reassessed.
As I understand it ETC leaders are still voting on the next ruleset for the tournaments and 9th is by no means a run away favourite.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Right now the main thing they need is DATA. They need lots and lots of playtesting the new rules to see where the problems lie.

Lots of people are posting over there whining about the nerf to whatever their favorite toy was. I think in some cases the nerf is justified, in others it wasn't, and in some cases even a justified nerf may have gone too far.

HOWEVER.

The only sure way to demonstrate whether a nerf (or, in a few cases, buff) is appropriate is to play the game with the changes and see how it works out.

If the 9th Age playtest page is deluged with playtest results showing DE are suffering unduly from the loss of ASF, then they can work on changing it. While they're calling this a Beta release, it's more like a rough draft. The '0.5' designation means there's plenty of room for changing things for a 0.6, 0.7, 0.99999 ;) release.

Get out there and play! (And don't forget to post your results...)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I don't think the loss of ASF is a bad thing. I don't think Elves need ASF to be good, to be Elves and to keep their style. Likewise, some nerfs don't necessarily imply the DE as a whole are a loss. I saw a report from Marchosias and Swordmaster. It actually looked very promising, very much like WFB. And they seemed pretty tied.
The link:
http://swordmasterofhoeth.blogspot.be/2 ... um=twitter

Very encouraging, actually. One of my HE opponents went all out on AoS and started switching bases, but I think my Dwarf opponent is going to stay square instead of being there. I might tempt him to a game ;)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

Is the new dark magic lore attribute basically very similar to the dark magic lore attribute in the wood elf army book?

Edit: nope, no it is not.
Diobarach
Black Guard

Post by Diobarach »

I think it's pretty weak but as we had a stronger army I guess we had it coming. However, I think overall balance is very poor, some pretty strong armies got some huge buffs. I suppose we did get a smattering of buffs.

I guess blackguard are the winners being str 5 w/ AP and cauldron gives them a 5++ ward. Not sure about the change to executioners, 1 point more but do 2 wounds.

We lost sisters of slaughter for some reason, and kharibdyss got nerfed (lol). Cold ones got a price decrease so maybe that helps. The army just seems lame to me.

I don't see any reason to provide 'feedback' when at this point I think the core team has a problem with bias, I suppose understandable when you are contributing your free time to work on it.
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

If you think DE got completely gimped, play a couple games with their rules and post the results on their playtest. Best way to demonstrate the point.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

The Black/Tower Guard do seem like big winners in this setting. That's a huge buff: 2 pts per model down, and armour piercing gained. No rerolls on the hit, but they are likely to hit on 3's or 2's even.
The Cold One Knights, or Raptor Knights had a positive nudge as well, being 4 points cheaper now. That's still hitting on a 2+ or 3+, wounding on a 2+ with a re-roll on the charge. That's pretty good.
The Executioners have been buffed, by getting both multiple wounds and killing blow. This should put a scare on any unit with multiple wounds and they still strike at initiative order. Which is quite valuable since ASF itself doesn't seem to be anywhere. They
This gives us 3 widely applicable units that all 3 have a fairly good counter for armour natively, which I reckon was our weakness before and we relied heavily relied on buffs/magic to deal with that.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
ForsetisMuse
Slave on the Altar

Post by ForsetisMuse »

The work on the real army books is about to begin and the best ones to do it are the players who knows the army best. So sign up to help make it what it should be!
Link to the newspost

Mod edit: fixed your link
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I suppose I could help "in theory", but I'm not a tournament player and will have only very limited testing games. So I'm not sure if I'm the right guy. But I could help with the theory ;)

- The stiff breeze
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

I know what you mean. I can help with ideas and evaluating other's ideas... but I lack the serious tournament experience to do more.
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

I do not think "serious tournament experience" is needed. This game is not only for tournament players but for casual gamers as well. There should be someone in the team to care for those as well. :) If you know what players generally want and what would alienate them in turn, you would be a valuable member even with no tournament experience at all. This is a qualification you can get just by browsing this forum for long enough. :)
tiny
Slave on the Altar

Post by tiny »

As far as I know we are missing Dark Elve Support alot...
Tournament background is good to have, but not a must have. For the Army Support position in particular soft skills it much more important.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Well... I'm not so good at the game as I am with theory crafting it ;) If that is of any help, just ask what you need theory crafted!

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Feeding in to a new rules set is certainly something I believe it would be great to have representation from Druchii.net in the mix
, especially in developing a new list.

Do we have anyone in the community who is interested currently or who already is a member of the 9th Age team, so we have an idea of where we stand?
Quite sure we will have plenty of opinions to feedback if we know our experience with DEs will be listened too.
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

I have found myself being a part of the content team (via supporting Rowena in her work about alternative miniatures) so I have some inside info and can provide some link between the two communities. Not sure what should this actually mean, though. :)

The Elves of Darkness section is very inactive on the website. I think we lack participants on every level, armybook creators but also moderators and feedback gatherers or even players who would express their wishes and feedback in the first place. Any help is welcome.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Glad you responded Marchosias, I had already suggested to the mod team that you might be the ideal liason with the 9th Age group. No pressure intended :)

As an idea, if there is a lack of activity on the 9th Age forum to perhaps have some discussions could be opened here, where everyone is comfortable in our little family. It can always be a little intimidating posting into a new forum, that way there may be some constructive progress.

It might also be the driving force behind getting a little more activity on the board again.
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

I can try something. The bad thing is that my time is limited and there are so many things I would like to participate on... :)
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

damn - black guard just went back down to S3!
Giladis
Corsair

Post by Giladis »

Hello northern cousins!

I would also like to encourage interested players to join in the discussion or to open discussions here. Soon the DE faction will recieve a Army Support person. The duty of that individual will be to compile all that is discussed on the 9th Age forum about DE as well as on the racial forums like Druchii.

At the moment DE sub-forum is for reason seeing the least trafic of all the races on the 9th Age forum.
Norse_malekith
Warrior

Post by Norse_malekith »

I'd like to join DE discussions on the 9th age page, but I struggle to find where I can register. When I try to browse subforums, all I Get is access denied...
Giladis
Corsair

Post by Giladis »

There should be a register button in the top left corner.