13th Legion Battle Reports

This forum is created in support of the development of http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?board/5-elves-of-darkness/

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

13th Legion Battle Reports

Post by Lord Drakon »

Greetings!

Welcome to the battle reports of the legendary 13th Legion commanded by the noble Lord Drakon. Although descendants of the mythical Har Ganeth, the 13th Legion is one of the countless legions of the Druchii military power in the 9th age. In this battlelog the adventures and epic battles will be described and analyzed. As the Druchii are becoming more historical roman influenced since last two editions, and Games Workshop has killed the old world my army fluff will follow. I have high hopes for the 9th age Dread Elves Army Book, in the meantime I shall make the fluff myself.

The 13th Legion
Dread Prince, Black Dragon, Flaming Lance, Divine Icon, Lucky Shield, Lucky Charm, RXB - 429
Exalted Oracle, Manticore, Path of Nature, Level 4, Dispel Scroll, 4+ ward - 410

Captain, Battle Standard Bearer, Manticore, Beast Master, Lance, Mignight Cloak, Heavy Armour, Shield, RXB - 332

30 Repeater Auxiliaries, Shields, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Flaming Banner - 440
5 x Dark Raiders, Shields, Musician - 105
5 x Dark Raiders, Shields - 95

Dread Reaper, Upgrade - 75
5 Harpies - 70

Hydra - 180
Hydra - 180

TOTAL: 2399

Lord Drakon on his Dragon 'Luna'

Dread Prince, Black Dragon, Flaming Lance(10), - 400
Exalted Oracle, Manticore, Path of Nature, Level 3 - 295

Captain, Battle Standard Bearer, Manticore, Lance, Mignight Cloak - 305

20 Repeater Auxiliaries, Shields, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, War Banner - 315

Hydra Breath Weapon - 210
Hydra Breath Weapon - 210

TOTAL: 2000
Last edited by Lord Drakon on Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Kelian Durak
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: 9th age Dragonlist log

Post by Kelian Durak »

Hi, nice looking DD-Prince. In 8th I used to play with a Dragon list. The first lesson which I have learned, that a solo Dragon will be easily killed without any other air support. My advise: put your BSB on an Peg or Manticor to support your dragon. The second dicerole for any morale check is very important and will often decide the outcome of your close combat rounds. Big blocks of infantry should be avoided, if you have no BSB support in range. In most cases r&f models will win close combat rounds due to higher breakpoints. In my 8th Edition Dragon list, I always played an Dragonlord with 2x Pegmasters (1x BSB).
Welcome to the 9th AGE.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Kelian Durak wrote:Hi, nice looking DD-Prince. In 8th I used to play with a Dragon list. The first lesson which I have learned, that a solo Dragon will be easily killed without any other air support. My advise: put your BSB on an Peg or Manticor to support your dragon. The second dicerole for any morale check is very important and will often decide the outcome of your close combat rounds. Big blocks of infantry should be avoided, if you have no BSB support in range. In most cases r&f models will win close combat rounds due to higher breakpoints. In my 8th Edition Dragon list, I always played an Dragonlord with 2x Pegmasters (1x BSB).

Hi Kelian Durak, thanks for your comment! My first dragonlist was with two manticore masters, one BSB and one Beastmaster (Lizardmen leadership for all monsters, cavarly and monstrous cavarly within 12"). I faced an solid Lizardmen force with lvl 4 heavens. Because he castled up in the deployment zone and had great fast counters (carnosaur, STR 7 terradon hero, rippers with KB) the battle was hopeless and turned into a massacre. I would really like to field a dragon with two manticores, but I don't know how the rest of the list should then look like. Do you have any suggestions?

Raptor bus instead of 2 x 9 shades with assassins.

Dread Prince, Black Dragon, Lance, Force Shield, Obsidian Rock - 505
Exalted Oracle, Raptor, Black Magic, Level 4, Obsidian Nullstone - 295

Captain, Battle Standard Bearer, Fleet Commander, Heavy Armour, Shield, Dragonscale Helm - 120
Captain, Beast Master, Raptor, Lance, Heavy Armour, Hardened Shield - 130
Captain, Raptor, Lance, Heavy Armour, Shield - 113

25 Corsairs, Additional Hand Weapons, Throwing Weapons, Full Command, Veteran Standard Bearer, Vanguard, Banner of Relentless Company - 320
5 dark riders, shields - 95
5 dark raiders, Shields - 95
5 dark raiders, Shields - 95

7 Raptor Knights, Full Command, Rending Banner - 247
5 Shades, Additional Hand Weapons - 85
5 Harpies - 75
Kelian Durak
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kelian Durak »

Hello again, I would drop the corsairs and add some more raiders instead. I played 3x10 raiders. 2x5 harpies for redirecting enemy units. I also tried a raptor bus in combo with a dragon, but it was not as effective as a flying circus. Drop the raptor bus and put your BSB on peg or manticor. Get 2-3 hydras into the list.
Welcome to the 9th AGE.
Dunya
Executioner

Post by Dunya »

I think I prefer the list in the OP, the 2nd one seems a bit limited on board presence and hammer units.

If I was to change anything in the first list it would probably be dropping the Bolt Throwers, the harpies and some of the extra gear on the lvl4. Then I'd introduce a vanilla 10-12man unit of Raptor Knights and just cover your shooting needs in the core selection. Gives you 2 flying Monsters, 2 regular Monsters and a powerful Cavalry unit to anchor your attack.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Thank you for the comments! I feel that at least 2 RBT are needed for board control to limit enemy movement. It now fields a dragonlord, beastmaster bsb on manticore, one hydra's with breath attacks and two hunting chariots. Instead of 3 x 10 dark raiders I think 4 x 5 + 1 x 10 is better because of drops, which makes it possible to guess where enemy big points will be so I can deploy accordingly with the monsters. This gives me also two double flee teams. As I am pretty unexperienced with harpies, I guess I just need them to redirect one flank charge on the dragon at the crucial time?

I also like the ward/regen saves for the big things 8)

The reasoning for two hunting chariots instead of another Hydra is some more combat flexibility for medium units too strong for dark riders but not worth charging for the big monsters. Impact hits in the flank are also good.

I also turned back to my favourite lore, the lore of light. I think it can work very will with the list.

Dread Prince, Black Dragon, Lance, Force Shield, Obsidian Rock, RXB - 509
Exalted Oracle, Pegasus, Path of Light, Level 4, Talisman of Greater Shielding, - 315

Captain, Battle Standard Bearer, Manticore, Beast Master, Mignight Cloak, Lance, Heavy Armour, Shield, RXB - 332

10 Dark Raiders, Shields, RXB - 220
4 x 5 Dark Raiders, Shields - 380

Hunting Chariot Giant Bow- 100
Hunting Chariot Giant Bow - 100
5 Harpies - 75

Hydra, Breath Weapon - 210

Considering the use of dice with the LVL 4 for the spells are

Burning Brightness
1 dice, boosted 4 dice

Shield of Protection
2 dice, aura 3 dice

Flash of Resolve
2 dice

Blinding Speed
2 dice, aura 4 dice

Net of Light
3 dice, boosted 4 dice

Time Warp
3 dice, aura 4 dice

Divine Banishment
3 dice

Lots of cheap game changing spells that can be used for all monsters at once.
Kelian Durak
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kelian Durak »

Hi, the total amount of raiders in your core section is illegal due to the fact, that 3x copies of the same unit is allowed. I would build your core like this:

10x DRaiders incl. Standard, musician, rxb, shields 240p
5x DRaisers incl. Musician, rxb, shields 120p

Move your harpies behind your dragon and bsb. Try to redirect nasty r&f blocks, which can harm your flying circus in the flank.

Perhaps you should consider to drop the lv4 and buy acolytes of yema instead, since magic isnt so nasty as in 8th. You could also drop both chariots and buy 2x more hydras ;)
Welcome to the 9th AGE.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Kelian Durak wrote:Hi, the total amount of raiders in your core section is illegal due to the fact, that 3x copies of the same unit is allowed. I would build your core like this:

5x DRaisers incl. Musician, rxb, shields 120p

Move your harpies behind your dragon and bsb. Try to redirect nasty r&f blocks, which can harm your flying circus in the flank.

Perhaps you should consider to drop the lv4 and buy acolytes of yema instead, since magic isnt so nasty as in 8th. You could also drop both chariots and buy 2x more hydras ;)

You are right, buts its 4x in total so I will make 4 I feel the drops are too important to find out enemy battle plan before I deploy RBT and Hydra's.
10 x Dark Raiders, rxb, shields 220
10 x Dark Raiders, rxb, shields 220
5 x Dark Raiders 85
5 x Dark Raiders 85

I just played my first battle with the list. It was very strong and mobile. Hunting chariots where too soft so will bring another Hydra to max of two.

Dread Prince, Black Dragon, Lance, Force Shield, Obsidian Rock - 505
Exalted Oracle, Pegasus, Path of Light, Level 4, Talisman of Greater Shielding, - 315

Captain, Battle Standard Bearer, Manticore, Beast Master, Mignight Cloak, Lance, Heavy Armour, Shield - 328

10 x Dark Raiders, rxb, shields - 220
5 x Dark Raiders 85
5 x Dark Raiders 85

5 Harpies - 70

TOTAL: 2398

I do have a problem since the dark riders and bsb have free reform, they are not scoring units, which makes earning secondary points very difficult. Light Magic was golden because of WS and I 10 for the Dragon and Divide Attacks for re-rolling ward saves.
Dunya
Executioner

Post by Dunya »

420pts for the Hydras seems a little bit heavy to me. Have you considered loading up on flying Captains with various configurations (or some Dark Acolytes) if you really want to play the avoidance game?
Kelian Durak
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kelian Durak »

Nice: 2x hydras is pretty tough already, especially in combination with a dragon and manticore-bsb. How about using a 3d hydra ;)

You could downgrade the 2x hydras, dropping the breath attack. That would save you 60 points. Droo the lv4 sorceress and get acolytes for 190 points. Another 125 points saved, voila a 3d hydra!

With 5x monsters on the battlefield, your opponent will have a lot of pressure at the beginning of the fame. To many monsters to handle in the first round, even for a lot of cannons.
Welcome to the 9th AGE.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

3rd Hydra is not possible due to max of 2 in rare section. I might squeeze a Kraken in there for a total of 3 monsters in rare, but as limit is 600 points it is not possible to also field acolytes. I used acolytes in several 9th edition battles and although sometimes to great succes (doombolt and soulblight) I feel LVL 4 on pegasus is also great point preservation. Also fielding more captains is also not possible because of the 1150 points in characters already.

The LVL4 might be the spot that can change after some more battles, but the extra's Light magic can add to the monsters (both protection crossing the field and combat buffs) is worth the 315 points (I think). I really don't like the sorceress on dark steed anymore because the loss of fast cavarly (vanguard and free reform) of the steed.

Is avoidance and maximizing and controlling the movement phase the same? I feel good lists are good in taking points from enemy while not giving them away easily. I need practice with this kind of lists, but feel there is a lot of tactical advantage to gain.

Another choice would be to take a unit of 10 raptor knights with movement banner instead of the two hydra's. But those Hydra's combined could inflict a total of 50! hits on a infantry unit, that's 20 more than the raptor knights. Also three terror causing units mights wreak some havoc against low leadership armies.

I feel the list is capable of winning big, while also losing small when overpowered. Especially against enemy lists with a big infantry horde. First two rounds take out enemy chaff and shooting, then clear medium units and finally take out that infantry horde with combo charges. I feel all the units have clear tasks and strengths.

Dragon: good against most things
BSB Manticore: good against multiple wound units, can also work against armour due to 7 lethal attacks.
Double Hydra's: good against infantry

2 x 10 dark raiders: chaff hunters
2 x RBT: anti-armour and anti-chaff

2 x 5 dark riders: redirectors, bait, movement blocking
1 x harpies: redirectors

1 x LVL4 Light: support, signature good magic missile against chaff and (regen) monsters

It is also very high leadership army, but the Hydra's and Harpies need to be kept within 18" bubble of general. With mobile 18" bubble of LD10 inspiring presence combined with mobile 18" BSB bubble and 12" Beastmaster bubble I am not likely to lose because of LD rolls.

Then point preservation, the big points are in the general and bsb, both difficult to kill with ranged attacks and difficult to catch because of flying movement. Also hydra's are difficult to kill when put into the right combat and ranged attacks. LVL4 should never be catched and is likely not even focused on with enemy shooting due to target saturation. Two blocks of DR with RXB should also never be catched when played correct.

If I just lose my harpies and two RBT, that's only 220 points! Maybe I also lose the 2 x 5 DR for another 170.
Dunya
Executioner

Post by Dunya »

You're definitely right that this is a very valid and powerful style. I played around with it a bit in the early 8th/late 7th army book and it was extremely strong, though Hydras back then were a whole lot more dangerous. Iirc my army had a couple of Manbane+Rending Stars Assassins and some Shades that complimented the army nicely. They can contribute quite well in combo charges, and are suberb at suppressing any mobile elements in the opponents army.

From memory I think it was something like this: Supreme Sorc(death) /w Familiar+Steed, Sorc(fire) /w Scroll, 2 Pegasus Masters, 2 Rending Stars+Manbane Assassins, 3x11-12 Xbows, 2x5 Dark Riders, 2x5 Harpies, 2x6 Shades and 2 Hydras.

Just some ideas/inspiration for a framework I guess, if you are interested. Other than that I still think that the Breath Weapon might not be worth its cost. 210 points seems like alot for T5, 5W even with Regen.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Dunya wrote:You're definitely right that this is a very valid and powerful style. I played around with it a bit in the early 8th/late 7th army book and it was extremely strong, though Hydras back then were a whole lot more dangerous. Iirc my army had a couple of Manbane+Rending Stars Assassins and some Shades that complimented the army nicely. They can contribute quite well in combo charges, and are suberb at suppressing any mobile elements in the opponents army.

From memory I think it was something like this: Supreme Sorc(death) /w Familiar+Steed, Sorc(fire) /w Scroll, 2 Pegasus Masters, 2 Rending Stars+Manbane Assassins, 3x11-12 Xbows, 2x5 Dark Riders, 2x5 Harpies, 2x6 Shades and 2 Hydras.

Just some ideas/inspiration for a framework I guess, if you are interested. Other than that I still think that the Breath Weapon might not be worth its cost. 210 points seems like alot for T5, 5W even with Regen.

The Shade+Assassin option also seems very nice. I will play some more with the Hydra's and add experiences here.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

What about this list? Exalted on the Manticore for a total of 5 monsters and more offensive Dragonprince. Instead of Light magic, Nature to make up for the loss of protective gear.

Dread Prince, Black Dragon, Beast Masters Lash, Divine Icon - 445
Exalted Oracle, Manticore, Path of Nature, Level 4, Dispel Scroll, 5+ ward - 390

Captain, Battle Standard Bearer, Manticore, Beast Master, Lance, Mignight Cloak, Heavy Armour, Shield - 328.

5 x Dark Raiders - 85
5 x Dark Raiders - 85

5 Harpies - 70

Dunya
Executioner

Post by Dunya »

Heh, I guess there's nothing wrong with putting your Oracle into close combat. If I understand the rules correctly you are looking at a 6+ AS and a 5+ Ward on her? I'm not sure, it might be a little risky.

Overall I agree with the principle of making the Dragon a bit more offensive. I'd be tempted to simply go with the Flaming Lance over the Beastmasters Lash, simply from the standpoint of investing less points in him, which indirectly makes him more survivable.
Dunya
Executioner

Post by Dunya »

What about something like this:

Dragonlord /w Flaming Lance+Divine Icon, Exalted on Steed /w Scroll+4WS, Manticore BSB, Nightshade Assassin, 2x10 DRs /w FC+Sh+Xbows, 6 DR /w Muso+Xbows, 5 Ravencloaks /w AHW, 6 Dark Acolytes /w Champ, 2 Hydras minus breath

You could then put your Exalted Oracle in with the 6 DRs temporarily atleast, and overall you'd have a list with 100% mobile stuff.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Dunya wrote:Heh, I guess there's nothing wrong with putting your Oracle into close combat. If I understand the rules correctly you are looking at a 6+ AS and a 5+ Ward on her? I'm not sure, it might be a little risky.

Overall I agree with the principle of making the Dragon a bit more offensive. I'd be tempted to simply go with the Flaming Lance over the Beastmasters Lash, simply from the standpoint of investing less points in him, which indirectly makes him more survivable.

Its not even putting her into combat but giving her another wound and +1 toughness for only 60 points, making massed STR3 shooting ineffective which can normally kill her. Also might she be catched somehow by enemy chaff or flyers, she can still dish out some damage.

Flaming Lance is a great idea as that saves 30 points which can give him Beast Master (hatred for both prince and dragon) and a charmed shield for the first cannon shot + its WYSIWYG

Dread Prince, Black Dragon, Beast Master, Flaming Lance, Divine Icon, Lucky Shield - 445
Exalted Oracle, Manticore, Path of Nature, Level 4, Dispel Scroll, 5+ ward - 390

I can also buy a unit of 5 raven cloaks with AHW for two breath attacks and general beastmaster (85 points). Will that be worth it? I have not much experience with the breath attacks, are those not important for killing infantry blocks?

Dread Prince, Black Dragon, Flaming Lance, Divine Icon - 415

Captain, Battle Standard Bearer, Manticore, Beast Master, Lance, Mignight Cloak, Heavy Armour, Shield - 328.

5 x Dark Raiders - 85
5 x Dark Raiders - 85

5 Raven Cloaks, AHW - 85
5 Harpies - 70

Hydra - 180
Hydra - 180
Dunya
Executioner

Post by Dunya »

Lord Drakon wrote:I can also buy a unit of 5 raven cloaks with AHW for two breath attacks and general beastmaster (85 points). Will that be worth it? I have not much experience with the breath attacks, are those not important for killing infantry blocks?

Its no longer the breath template, but simply 2d6 str 4 even in the shooting phase. Still OK but nothing special. I feel like the 5 Ravencloaks are an improvement yes, though they'd be far more dangerous with an Assassin inside. Beastmaster for the Dragonlord seems like a good idea.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

I swapped the two units of 10 DR for one big block of Repeater Auxilaries to make it less avoidance and give me a unit which can score secondary objectives.

Dread Prince, Black Dragon, Flaming Lance, Divine Icon - 415

Captain, Battle Standard Bearer, Manticore, Beast Master, Lance, Mignight Cloak, Heavy Armour - 325

25 Repeater Auxiliaries, Shields, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Flaming Banner - 385
5 x Dark Raiders, Shields, Crossbows - 110

5 Raven Cloaks, AHW - 85
5 Harpies - 70

Hydra - 180
Hydra - 180

TOTAL: 2400
Dunya
Executioner

Post by Dunya »

Looks good, I think Auxiliaries work fine aswell in a control based army. You might have more flexibility with 2-3 units rather than 1 though, would also give you more scoring units.

Heres a thought: Put the Oracle on the Dragon, shes going to be equally as tanky as the Dread Prince and could easiliy go into cc. Give him the 2nd Manticore, and then I think you'd have a pretty sweet Monster Mash.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Dunya wrote:Looks good, I think Auxiliaries work fine aswell in a control based army. You might have more flexibility with 2-3 units rather than 1 though, would also give you more scoring units.

Heres a thought: Put the Oracle on the Dragon, shes going to be equally as tanky as the Dread Prince and could easiliy go into cc. Then give him the 2nd Manticore, and then I think you'd have a pretty sweet Monster Mash.

Great idea only that I modelled the Prince on the dragon and Oracle on the manticore so have to stick with it. I just realized that with the loss of 2 x 10 DR and 25 RXB the Raven Cloaks are not that important anymore, so used their points to give the Dragonprince Gem of Fortune (re-roll 6'es to wound from ranged attacks) and both Hydra's breath weapons again.

The idea of one block of crossbowmen comes from tactical from Ulthuan.net which they call Horde Archer Anvil (HAA). The idea is that you force the enemy to take out that archer horde as 6 turns of receiving shooting is not good, and then reform it into ranks to make an anvil. Together with the shields and parry they can actually hold combat for a turn or two while making them invinsible for chaff who could normally hunt down small units of crossbows.

Opponents might also perceive this as an defensive list because of 23% of list is shooting and deploy accordingly. The goal of the list is to be an aggressive list based on powerplay, isolating enemy units to take them out one by one.

Dread Prince, Black Dragon, Flaming Lance, Divine Icon, Gem of Fortune - 440

Captain, Battle Standard Bearer, Manticore, Beast Master, Lance, Mignight Cloak, Heavy Armour - 325

25 Repeater Auxiliaries, Shields, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Flaming Banner - 385

5 Harpies - 70

TOTAL: 2400
Dunya
Executioner

Post by Dunya »

Gem of Fortune - that is a great item, didn't see that till just now. Too bad about the model already being done.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: 13th Legion Battle Reports

Post by Lord Drakon »

Unfortunately Gem of Fortune is also enchanted item so illegal with divine item which I want to keep so the Exalted Oracle got a 4+ ward save.

The 13th Legion returned from a bloody victory (7-3) with heavy losses. Although all monsters besides the BSB Manticore (thank you midnight cloak!) died most of them got to kill great numbers in return. Because is practicing for tourney I had to adjust the list to 2000 points and as I wanted to test all the monsters the characters were not optimized at all. I do however love this monster based list, very different from the elite infantry based lists I am used to.

Battle report will follow soon!

Sneak peak of the deployment

13th Legion 2000 points
Dread Prince, Black Dragon, Flaming Lance(10), - 400
Exalted Oracle, Manticore, Path of Nature, Level 3 - 295

Captain, Battle Standard Bearer, Manticore, Lance, Mignight Cloak - 305

20 Repeater Auxiliaries, Shields, Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, War Banner - 315

Duckman5
Corsair

Re: 13th Legion Battle Reports

Post by Duckman5 »

I saw a shot of your sorceress in the monthly painting challenge thread, may I trouble you for a close-up? The flesh looks to be exactly what I want to put on my Witch Elves so I'd love any tips/a quick rundown of how you did it!