Dark Raiders

This forum is created in support of the development of http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?board/5-elves-of-darkness/

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Dark Raiders

Post by Lord Drakon »

Please share your experiences, synergies and uses of your Dark Raiders!
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Dark Raiders

Post by Vulcan »

I can't speak to 9th Age specifically (there's all one of me interested in playing it in a 100+ mile radius), but in 8th they were great fast cavalry, arguably the best in the game. Spear charges and Repeater crossbows make them exceptional in the chaff-clearance role and credible warmachine hunters, 4+ saves made them pretty durable, and... well, what's not to like about M9 fast cav?

My biggest complaint about 9th Age DE (now that the Pleasure Pit fighters have gotten a.... less immature-sounding name) is that the Dark Riders can never have ranks, period. I used to use 30 in the medium cavalry role, do deliver a rank bonus (and sometimes bust steadfast) to ongoing combats. In 6th-7th, giving shields to Dark Riders made them no longer fast cavalry; I wish 9th Age would do the same.
grim1
Slave on the Altar

Post by grim1 »

Also don't like the way that characters joining the raiders remove fast cavalry from the unit. Other than that I still want to take two units of 5 with shields and xbows every list. Command sometimes but rarely.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Their biggest advantage has always been manuverability. Yes most of you shots are probably going to miss, but they were meant to be harrassers and redirectors. They annyoy your enemy, makeing them focus on them while your other units get in and get some kills in.

Presently some of their rules look interesting.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra