Harpies

This forum is created in support of the development of http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?board/5-elves-of-darkness/

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Harpies

Post by Lord Drakon »

Please share your experiences, synergies and uses of your Harpies!
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Harpies

Post by Vulcan »

Harpies are the ultimate chaff unit in the DE army. Flying means they can be kept safe behind your battleline until they are needed to block a charge, and they're cheap which makes them expendable.

Some like to use them as meatshields in front of their battleline, depending on the -1 to hit from skirmish to keep them around long enough to do some good. I prefer using minimum units of either Corsairs (with a 4+ save) or Witches (who won't panic and remain dangerous even in small numbers) for that role.

The only change I'd consider making to Harpies would be to make them Insignificant.
DarkSky
Corsair

Post by DarkSky »

Unfortunately the statement about the Blades of Nabh (aka Witches) is no longer true, as they lost frenzy.

Regarding the Harpies: I never used them, as I don't own the models and always used Dark Raiders for that role. But I keep seeing them more and more, especially in the lists which perform well at tournaments. Seems they are not so bad as initially declared. During the past months a lot of players declared them unplayable without insignificant.
My Blog containing battle reports and painting updates: https://bleaklegion.wordpress.com
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Yeah, I just noticed that on the thread about the Witches.

Corsairs it is, then.

And the Cult of Khaine is OFFICIALLY dead now.
Kelian Durak
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kelian Durak »

I used to play 2x5 harpies in my 8th ETC dragonlord list. I believe harpies are one of the best redirectors in the whole game besides great eagles of the highborn elves. Harpies are cheap and do the job pretty good due to the fact, that they are very fast. I usually hold back and keep them behind my lines (dragon, bsb-pegmaster & 2d pegmaster).

In 9th Age harpies are still very strong and cheap. I recommend 2x5 units in a 2400 pts list.
Welcome to the 9th AGE.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Havn't used them in the new game yet, but it seems they might be just as good hanging around the other units now as they can swoop down and remove another mini if some its fellows breaks from combat.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra