Divine Altar

This forum is created in support of the development of http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?board/5-elves-of-darkness/

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Divine Altar

Post by Lord Drakon »

Please share your experiences, synergies and uses of your Divine Altars!
Clockwork
Highborn

Re: Divine Altar

Post by Clockwork »

Something occurred to me on the drive in to work this morning. A 200 point Chariot with T6 W5 4++ and the Blessings is already pretty good, and close to being an autoinclude for most lists.

In the v0.12 sneak peek, it was revealed that the new Cult of Yema bonus (that's The Cult of Pleasure AKA-not-Slaaneshi-theme for those following previous versions) is +1 M and Swiftstride.

Now, the Divine Altar, which for reasons I can't explain has M8, also has to pick a Cult upgrade. Making it Yema gives you M9, in additition to the funky stuff like a Medusae (4 S5 attacks) and Dark Aura. As it's a Chariot, it's also now immune to Dangerous Terrain tests. Pretty cool, right?

In addition to being a stand alone Rare choice, you can also take the Altar as a mount to a Hero-level Priest (suitably upgraded to Cult of Yema also), who can also be a BSB. BSBs can now take Magic Banners as part of their Magic Allowance, in addition to other magical items. So you can give your BSB the +1 M Banner, and now you have a Movement 10 Chariot that's immune to DT, and your BSB gets a 4++ Ward in the bargain, too. For just 10 points, you can improve that to 3++ vs Magic (Obsidian Pebble), and for a mere 5 points, take the Lucky Shield to dodge cannoballs.

That leaves you with 10 points left of magic gear, which is exactly what you need for... the Flaming Lance. So now you have a guy with 3 S6 attacks on the charge, hitting no worse than 3s and often 2s (with Lightning Reflexes), riding a T6 W5 Chariot with a 22" threat range, that's also immune to DT, with a 4++/3++ vs Magic, and forces Fear tests at -1 LD rolling 3 dice and subtracting the highest.

But, wait - that's not all! Because according to the rules for Combined Profiles, you use the highest WS amongst all riders and crew. Which means that the two Yema Cultists, packing S5 attacks themselves, get upgraded to the Priest's Weapon Skill (meaning they almost always hit on 2s thanks to Lightning Reflexes); as does the Medusa, which now packs 4 S5 WS6 attacks. And thanks to the Divine Blessings rule, you can give them all +1 attack.

And this package zips around on M10, ignoring any adverse effects from terrain.

Edit: Wait, according to Combined Profile rules you use the highest ward save available of any part. So give the Priest the Cloak of Twilight for a 3++ vs range. Top it off with Gladiator Weapons so that they can use a Great Weapon, only now that GW confers Multiple Wounds and Leathal Strike. /thread

Edit2: I'm dumb. Riders/crew use their own WS when attacking. Still good though.
Blondshade
Executioner

Post by Blondshade »

Lord Drakon wrote:Please share your experiences, synergies and uses of your Divine Altars!

i think is is broken against s3 t 3 that our weak foes have. do not take vs good people, but s3 is a good army to take this for. always for empire, and elf, etc. list.
Loppamannen
Corsair

Post by Loppamannen »

Just a quick question regardin the altars. Can it still be placed within units? Or does it run on its own like in the previous DE 7 ed book? I can't see any special rules on the altars regarding this.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

With present V1.0 rules, the Altar does not have the "war platform" special rule which would allow it to be placed within units.
There are many discussions ongoing on T9A DE forum to try to convice the rule team to give the Altar that rule, when they examine the results of ETC, somewhere in September.
Not possible at this stage to evaluate if that will be successful.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Loppamannen
Corsair

Post by Loppamannen »

Calisson wrote:With present V1.0 rules, the Altar does not have the "war platform" special rule which would allow it to be placed within units.
There are many discussions ongoing on T9A DE forum to try to convice the rule team to give the Altar that rule, when they examine the results of ETC, somewhere in September.
Not possible at this stage to evaluate if that will be successful.

Thank you for your answer. I kind of hope that would happend so I could try it out alone. Especially now that the WE are not going to be used that much... Having that thing roaming around the field buffing units sounds like fun!