VS ORCS 2200 points.

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

VS ORCS 2200 points.

Post by Langmann »

DE

20 spears + shield CMS (CMS = champ, musician, banner)
20 corsairs CMS + banner of slaughter
5 Dark Riders MS
10 repeater crossbowmen with shield
2 reaper bolt throwers
6 cold one knights CMS + banner of murder
10 executioners CMS + warbanner
1 war hydra

Thorian Highborn sea cloak, heavy armour, shield of ghrond, gauntlet, cold one.
Furion Sorceror lvl2 darkstar cloak, dispel scroll
Sith Sorceress lvl1 seal of ghrond, dispel scroll

ORCS

19 Orc boys spear + shield CMS
25 orc boys 2 weapons biguns waagh banner CMS
19 orcs choppa + shield CMS
40 goblins spear, shield, light armour CMS
20 night goblins spear, shield + 3 fanatics CMS
10 goblin wolf riders CMS spear, shield, light armour
20 Black Orcs 2 weapons, heavy armour, night banner CMS
1 goblin rock lobber + bully
1 Giant

Black Orc Warboss big axe of bashing (+2 A) ironskin shield (4+ ward save !!!!) heavy armour
Orc Big boss aulags accurate axe (reroll misses) enchanted shield light armour
Orc Shaman lvl 2 knobbly staff

This is part 3 of a series of battles against a friend who has gotten into warhammer and is using my O/G army before he makes a dwarf one. We are playing a modified campaign where Thorian, an unusual DE, has invaded the Wastelands in search of a treasure tomb containing an artifact of strange power. The Orcs infest this realm and unwittingly serve the artifact as its protector. You can check out the other two battles I posted here and get some background in my army.

battle 2:
http://druchii.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1746

battle 1:
http://druchii.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455

Furion has been gone for days, and his disappearance had made Seculet, the Dread Knight more gloomy than usual. It was all Thorian could do to comfort the knight who seemed sure he’d face his death along the wasteland trail.

The cold ones echoed this gloom, peering sullenly at the ground, whimpering and straining at the reins for unexplained reasons. After the pack leader had devoured a particularly nasty night goblin, it seemed a virus had been acquired that had crossed the species boundary, infecting the cold one pack. Their noses dry, began to blister and small fissures open up red river-lets amongst black nostrils, a painful similarity to the wasteland terrain. Thorian had no small hope for their effectiveness in the inevitable battle.

Seculet ventured another of his epiphanies as he watched the corsairs gingerly negotiate a turn in the treacherous trail, as they avoided contact with the artifact suspended upon a makeshift stretcher. They had discovered that any attempt to touch the artifact had caused instant death.

“My lord,” muttered the dread knight, “what do you consider the prospects are of the Lady accepting a dead dark elf into her arms?”
“I would not know such things.” Thorian replied. The dread knight’s tormented history reflected that of the Naggarond race. (See previous post for his “history”)

A cloud of smoke interrupted the dark elf train. Thorian reached for the gauntlet they had discovered in the night goblin hold, reading himself for the orc ambush. The spear warrior’s formation suddenly disrupted into panic as they fled back into the corsair regiment, narrowly avoiding the artifact in their haste.

Five heads, full of teeth and blood raised themselves from amidst the cloud of smoke, towering over the steady corsairs. A dark sinewy bulk could be seen moving within the white smoke. Traces of energy immersing within his thin hair, Furion strode confidently out of the whiteness.

Furion had lived for too long, his dark elf body ached with ancient pains, and in his soul lived a host of daemons. Yet for some reason that Thorian had not discovered, the ancient sorceror seemed to help them, never mentioning Thorian’s rejections of the dark ways.

“Get me a cup.” Growled the sorceror, using his staff as more of a crutch than anything as he dragged himself towards Thorian. Sith, a sorceress in her own right, yet more and more seeming the apprentice of the dark mage, rushed to his aid.

“I got you a beast. Never ‘ported anything that big yet.” Furion motioned towards the hydra, being beaten down by the beastmasters. “Maybe it’ll help, and maybe it won’t. Better to scare off the green things, they still seem attracted to that thing you found. There are a group of them assembled a days march away. There’s a big thing, man like, moving amongst the greens, eating goblins and eating all day. I’d better get some rest.”

The black orc warboss had lined his elite unit of orcs with two hordes of goblins on either side. The orcs seemed to have an uncanny presence upon the goblins, settling them down into an uneasy mass that stared horribly at the corsairs and executioners across from them. Masses of orcs on either side, and a vortex of wolves with green riders protected the flank snarling at the knights and dark riders.

More terrible, though, was the giant. A towering human anomaly, no doubt abandoned by its parents, had taken up with its more similar greenskin comrades.

Thorian urged his elves forward; it would require a quick strike on the left flank to disable the catapult while his army held up the line of orcs for a flanking charge by the knights. Reaper bolt throwers spat at the giant, inflicting a gory wound in its side, while the rxbmen killed two night goblins.

The wolf riders, too far from the warboss, began bickering with each other, their leader doing more to stir the pot than to suppress it. This caused the big orcs to forget the present battle and throw rocks at the goblin riders, fueling the fire further. Rocks from the catapults crashed dangerously close to the executioners. The giant, furious at his certain death, charged forwards to vent his rage upon the lithe hydra. Fanatics spill out of the night goblin ranks towards the corsairs, blocking the path of both friends and foe as they spin precariously about.

The spear warriors, encouraged by the hydra beside them charge into the wounded giant sticking their spears into its flanks, killing the giant, who falls on an unlucky spear elf, squashing him, he dies suffocating below the stinking tower. The hydra tears over the giant, chunks of its flesh hang from its gaping maws.

The executioners and corsairs retreat from the fanatics, while Furion, not quite recovered from his recent work, kills a black orc with a weak black horror. Five goblins die from rxb while the reaper bolt throwers kill 3 spear bearing orcs on the right flank. Sith battles with spell-magic against the orc shaman, a coward that hides beside the black orcs.

Seculet drives his heels into the flanks of his cold one, while Thorian urges the sick beasts on. They barely respond, as they lunge forwards into the ranks of the wolf riders, along with the dark riders. (I rolled a 10 for stupidity!!!)
Two wolf riders die, pierced through to their mounts by knight spears, while the wolf rider leader drags down a dark rider, slitting the elf’s throat.

The big uns begin to argue. A fanatic bounces back towards the black orcs, which toss it aside uncaringly, while another swirls close to the corsairs. The third fanatic crashes to its death against a rocky outcrop, its flail wrapping around its neck until the goblin head, squeezed by the neck, is pinched off. The still grinning face falls to the ground unnoticed. Another goblin dies while the combined mass of the dark riders and knights chase it from the battlefield. Another dark rider is left bleeding in the dust. Thorian, seeing his troops dangerously outflanking his enemy urge the elves to hold. The catapult dangerously misfires; a goblin sent splattering into the ground as the crosspiece snaps.

The spear warriors, their blood raging after killing the giant so easily, crashes into a unit of orcs armed with choppas and shields. The hydra, also urged onwards, heads snarling backwards at the beastmasters who thrash it towards the flank of the orcs. Angrily, its sinewy heads rage into the orc flanks, shredding two orcs as its heads fight over the bloody corpses. With blood raining upon them, the spear elves cut down another orc, while the rest flee, the hydra surging after them trampling and shearing all in its way. The spear orcs, seeing certain death in the hydra, turn to flee.

The dark riders move past the knights, shooting at the catapult killing a goblin crewman, while seven more goblins are harvested by the rxbmen and another seven die from reaper bolts. The mass, like a dying wave before the shore, halts briefly, but only so, as the warboss, smashing his axe against the ground remind the goblins that death awaits either way. They charge into the rxbmen.

Another fanatic dies an unnoticed death while the spear orcs rally into form as the boss beats them back into line. Two rxbmen die while a goblin is cut down. The orc shaman, its magic duel with Sith almost distracting it to death, ducks aside as a fanatic races by.

The cold one knights falter for a moment, until Seculet drives his heals deeply into the flank of the beast. Its tongue lagging, it surges forwards, leading the pack into the rear of the big uns. (Another 10 rolled for stupidity, boy I am glad I put the Highborn in that unit!) The knights spear 7 big uns, driving the rest herd like before them, the cold ones gleefully soothing their dry nostrils in wet orc blood. The Dark Riders charge and kill the remaining catapult crewmen, while the corsairs turn to face the inevitable charge of the black orcs that somehow managed to run unscathed through the goblin fanatics.
A black orc is driven into the ground pierced through by a reaper bolt. The rxbmen kill a goblin while the goblins kill another elf. The sight of their inevitable deaths causes the rxbmen to flee out of range of the goblin tide, a tide culled by the stiff resistance of the brave elves.

Furion steps out, calling horrible dark daemons upon the units of black orcs and night goblins. Suddenly he feels cold, a freezing sweat tickles his brow. The orc shaman stares uselessly as Furions spell, powerful and unstoppable culls four night goblins. The night goblins shriek, as they perceive a faint daemonic outline in the magic murk. Sith pulls the old sorcerer with her as she runs behind the raging black orcs, she has recognized the numb look and pallor in the sorcerer’s eyes. Somewhere inside his mind, he fights a daemon unleashed by the magic power.

Once again, however, the orc warboss beats the night goblins back into formation.

The night goblins, enraged by the beatings of the black orc warboss, and the fury of dark magic, empowered by the charge of the black orcs, swarm into the holding corsairs. (My friend was agreeable here and lined up the night goblins on a wider frontage than the black orcs as would be estimated by comparable charge ranges. In other words, I had to fight more night gobbos than black orcs.)
Snarling the gobbos drag down a corsair, while the others nimbly leap aside the black orc axes. Frantically the corsairs cut down 3 goblins in return! The goblins repel backwards from the furious counterattack but the black orc warboss again holds the lines. (The corsairs win combat by two! (+3 goblins, +1 banner, +3 ranks = 7) vs orcs/goblins (+1 corsair, +1banner, +1 outnumber, +2 ranks = 5) but the orcs and goblins end up holding. Amazing!)

The dark riders unleash a flurry of bolts at the shaman who scurries away terrified, while the reaper bolt throwers smash 7 spear orcs into the dust. The corsairs end up killing 3 goblins that manage on their own to drag down an equal number of corsairs. Both sides stare at each other dangerously. Viewing this, the black orc warboss tosses aside black orcs in his way to the front lines. Waving his battleaxe like a scythe he cuts down 5 corsairs while the corsairs manage to only kill four goblins. A black orc axe strikes through another corsair. The elf line dangerously falters, but holds as Thorian’s knights come rolling by preparing for a flanking assault (Again the cold ones roll a 10 for stupidity!!!!!!).

The knights charge into the front of the night goblin regiment. Flanking assault by the executioners causes the goblins to flee, and the knights mercilessly run them down. Driving past the fleeing goblins the executioners charge the flank of the exposed black orcs. The draichlord, unperturbed by the orcish bulk, with a flick of his wrist, beheads the BLACK ORC WARBOSS!!! :shock: The hydra, rages into the rear of the black orc shredding 2 orcs, while the corsairs cull two more along with the returning spear elves. The black orcs, demolished, are destroyed where they stand.

The remaining orc spears flee from the battlefield, dreading the day they chose to fight these dark elves, overcoming the mystic pull of the artifact.

Total Massacre.

I originally wanted to draw out the fanatics I knew were in the night gobbos by the dark rides. However he oriented his wolfriders in such a way that he’d countercharge the darkrides and likely overrun them unless I rolled really well. Thus there were two chances, one being hit by a fanatic and another being overrun by wolves that I didn’t want to face. Therefore I elected to try and get the dark riders by the wolfs to kill the catapult. Anyhow it worked out even with the corsairs ending up getting charged. I did not expect the orc player to run his orcs through the fanatics. Anyway, a neat ending. I like it when executioners kill things, especially things that get a 4+ ward save!

I could not use flyers in this campaign since we had agreed before hand that my army could not have them since Thorian is not well liked by the witch elves, and thus doesn’t get certain things….

I do not know if I am going to post any more battle reports. It’s a lot of work and I don’t think many people like them this way. :cry:
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Alcing ragaholic
Lord of Mod-Assassins

Very nice

Post by Alcing ragaholic »

You're getting good at the stories AND the game...

Z
======================
<langmann> hah, I'll take florida over 10 feet of snow/day. My balls sweat and I'm cold and my back is sore from shoveling.

Join the DNet chatroom today!
Assa
Trainee Warrior

Yes...

Post by Assa »

Very good indeed. Twas a good read.
~AssA~
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Thanks for the kind words. Perhaps I will continue to write batreps if people like them. Its just a lot of work if no-one cares about it, even if it is for personal satisfaction. :P
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Hylirion
Executioner

Post by Hylirion »

I think its a GREAT report!!! :P :lol: :D 8) You really should continue with them. I like the story-like battle reports. Keep it up
Jvzer0
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jvzer0 »

Great report, you really should continue to write them, you are quite good.
"Before you make fun of someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you make fun of them, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes."
The word of pain
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by The word of pain »

Well done, excellent story, keep going, be encouraged! :lol:
The Word of Pain

Most heard comment at UK GT...
"Please, not Wood Elves again..."
Alith anar
Shadowking

Post by Alith anar »

I can only agree with what have been said so far; very good work, keep it up!
Regards, A.A.

"Epic Krueger the Mousefrightened was a trap, to see whether we'd generalize. Lose faith. Whine. Die inside.

And when the light seemed darkest... we get the visual equivalent of the opening lick from Thunderstruck."
Langmann

Post by Langmann »

Thank you very much! :oops: I see people do like the batreps this way after all :shock:

(I know I like them when people write batreps with a story behind them!).

I don't care what anyone says, the druchii have the most colorful army with the most realistic potential for stories containing moral dilemma and personal struggle. :D
Alkair
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Alkair »

No question about this, a great report. Only drawback is that the two links posted on top are dead-ends...I really would love to get the whole story. After all Furion is quite a name in Dark Elves history and worth to pay attention to... ;)
---------------------
House Sheth Harath
Highborns of the great city of Ghrond
Guardians against the Great Chaos Waste