The game against MC Warhammer and his pegs

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

The game against MC Warhammer and his pegs

Post by Dark Alliance »

So here it is. My Cauldron list against his waac pegs he wants to take to the UKGT qualifiers.

When I got there he had already set up the terrain, 6 fairly large pieces of scenery which included 2 hills, 2 woods and 2 larrrge buildings. My lines of sight were limited but so were his advance lines which would break up his combined charges. He asked did I want to change it but no it was fine.

My list was unchanged

He used -

Lord on peg
BSB on peg
2 casters with four scrolls (gaay)

3 units of 3 pegs
5 units of 6 Realm knights

On the table it looks kinda scary. He deployed pegs on each flank and one lot in the middle. the knights were all together in the centre field with bsb on one flank, lord on the other.

I went l-r

DRs on extreme left flank behind a building, rxbs in 2 ranks on a hill just off centre left, harpies, rxbs in single rank with lord behind and rbt on the back edge behind ( with los to either side of the wood which was cauldron was now in ), exes to the right of this wood, chariot, witch elves. One caster in the wood and one behind the rh rxbs.

My spells were all from Death - level 1 had 2d6 s4. Level 2 had d6 s4 and doom and darkness. He had howler wind and master of stone.

He prays and I get first turn announcing I expect a win from him in 4 turns ( no pressure eh ;) ) or I ban him from d.net... :lol: :lol: :lol: so I put down a dice counting down from 4....

He wants a tournament game so he ho off we go.

Turn 1 and my DRs move into the centre field to bait, rxbs on hill move forward, remaining on higher ground. On the right flank my Exes/Chariot/WEs all move forward in unison and turn slightly in towards the centre of the field. He is weak on this flank so I decide to try and draw his lord early in the game. Casters move into range.

I successfully take one wound off a peg knight with magic and shooting. Damn double save :x

In his first turn he resists the DR bait ( quite wisely ) and comes forward. One unit of pegs goes wide down the left looking to get behind me using the large house for cover. On the right his lord takes the bait, along with a unit of knights and a unit of pegs. Centre field he comes forward but stops around my DRs. The centre pegs fly forward looking at Harpies I had previously put centre field behind a house. His magic does nothing at all.

This is looking good for me already...

Turn 2 sees my rxbs charging down the hill into his central pegs, supported by my Harpies. In hindsight I should have declared the Harpies first with the rxbs going into the rear but he ho daddyO.

My DRs sneak between his units and get behind him with a smooth little walk whilst on the right my Exes walk into a wood so he can only see 3 of them, the chariot and WEs form a perfect battle line with them baiting his pretty boy lord but forcing a huge multiple combat if he charges.

Magic and shooting fairly unexciting and in the combat phase his pegs hold which is pretty much what I expected.

So, in his turn the lord declares a charge but is scared of the chariot, the realm and pegs have a go though. As he lord stands still the Realms go into the Exes alone, charging through the wood to clip! "You ain't doing that I yell"! So he lines up properly as I am trying to get him to play fairly and in prep for 7th ed. The pegs go into the WEs but also hit the Chariot.

Centre field a unit of Realm go into the side of my rxbs who pass panic ready to fight.

Magic does nothing.

My rxbs get run down centre field. The Exes hold after losing only marginally but the Pegs flee, get run down and my WEs and Chariot look lovingly at his Lord....

More soon campers :D
Haplo
Highborn

Post by Haplo »

turn 2 and one flank is already broken. Impressive. But wasn't he being a little careless landing his pegs in charge range of both harpies and Rxb elves deployed in ranks?
Beastmaster kurlan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Beastmaster kurlan »

sounds like you already have a distinct advantage, i cant wait to hear about the rest of the game, im sure it will be a good close game and good to read about. i also think it was rather silly to leave the pegs in range, but maybe this is a trick, or maybe just careless :P
i cant seem to make friends! add me to msn you losers!

Kurlan the violent (trainee of khaine)

WS: 3
S:5
T:4
D:5
I:2

two short swords, dagger, 4 throwing knives, 500 gold coins, unarmed combat skill

Group 17 Mod
Limenix
Assassin

Post by Limenix »

Bretts can be a little scary when you see all those knights on the table , aren't they?
The Druchii way of the Warrior:

When you must RUN ..... FIGHT!!!
When you must FIGHT .... WOUND!!!
When you must WOUND .... CRIPPLE!!!
When you must CRIPPLE .... KILL!!!
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I don't think he expected my rxbs to charge. They went in just for a giggle really and with hindsight, if I had declared the Harpies first, putting the rxbs into the rear, they would have broken!

Turn 3 and after once again passing all stupidity tests my Chariot goes into his Lord along with the Witch Elves. He holds as my Chariot ( thanx to pursuit rolling ) is dangerously close for him to risk fleeing. And in any case, with his hits on a 2+ Lord eyeing up my Chariot he seems confident :shock: My remaining rxbs go crashing into the side of the Realms being held up by my Executioners who pass their panic test.

No other charges and I use my magic and shooting to start reducing his ranks and to panic the left hand unit of Pegs trying to sneak down my line. They go running for the hills so are no threat now for at least 2 turns.

In the combat phase he elects not to challenge so my Hag slaps him with Black Lotus, taking a wound off him. Consequently the remaining WEs in base contact kill him. Kinda hard to save another 6 wounding hits :lol: . His peg fails to wound and breaks but gets away. His Realms break from combat and get run down by my rxbs! :lol:

At the start of his turn three he has no rank bonus on any of his units, no Lord and a crumpled flank. He declares no charges, electing to reposition his centre and rally his fleeing knights. His magic is ineffective and he leaves the central pegs in front of my Lord ;)
Muse of harganeth
Executioner

Post by Muse of harganeth »

One thign i can;t understand is why is he put those pegasai where he put them! Directly facing a flank to the RCM. your darn right, he definatly didn't expect you to attack. It was done in a white dwarf, when HE and DE last featured in a battle report.
Good battle, want next part, now!
As time past on, the feeling of fun
passed away like wind on a mountain...
Cal
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Cal »

I wonder what will come of this battle, I know what I think edwin should take from it ( and no, that's not take a cheesier army) but we'll see. Anyway good work there DA, sounds like you had control from the start and I'm looking forward to seeing the end.
NK wrote:Bonjour et bienvenue lá Druchii.net Hastings!(Excuse the Christie pun, I'm an avid reader of Poirot!)! Cannot help you here mon ami, but again bienvenue! Now, I must say 'Abiento!'. I have threads to browse.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Oh man.. heh, I have the same question on my mind as the masses. "Why the hell did he land where he could get charged by rxb?" :P But, as you stated he prolly didn't expect to have them charged.
Dark Alliance wrote:Realms go into the Exes alone, charging through the wood to clip! "You ain't doing that I yell"!

Seems to me, you set this up deliberately just to have him try eh? ;)

Dark Alliance wrote:His Realms break from combat and get run down by my rxbs

LOL! That's hilarious. Man, I must suck or not know mu army because I'd have no idea what to do against Brettonia, and I lose a lot. :(

Nice report so far.. you have me on the edge of my seat, cos' I hate reading shreds! :P

Fr0
Benji
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Benji »

lol, this is quite amusing.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Fr0 wrote:Oh man.. heh, I have the same question on my mind as the masses. "Why the hell did he land where he could get charged by rxb?" :P But, as you stated he prolly didn't expect to have them charged.
Dark Alliance wrote:Realms go into the Exes alone, charging through the wood to clip! "You ain't doing that I yell"!

Seems to me, you set this up deliberately just to have him try eh? ;)

Well, Ed plays a lot like Ant in that neither of them have much in the way of patience. I figured Ed, with his WAAC mentality would try something like this so wasn't surprised when he did, but he wasn't gonna get away with it. What he should have done is take the turn to reposition himself by dropping his peg knights behind me, forcing me to reconsider my battle line. The main point he didn't seem to be able to grasp was that all of his units were out-charging me so he could afford the time to set himself up in a really strong position.

Dark Alliance wrote:His Realms break from combat and get run down by my rxbs

LOL! That's hilarious. Man, I must suck or not know mu army because I'd have no idea what to do against Brettonia, and I lose a lot. :(

Well funny it was coz they survived the game and ran round with his standard in tow!

Nice report so far.. you have me on the edge of my seat, cos' I hate reading shreds! :P

Fr0
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Turn 4 then, and I fail my first stupidity test but it's on the support Chariot so I care not as it's not in any danger. My Lord charges the pegs so tantalising in front of him, they decide to hold. The Witch Elves go into the now rallied riderless lords peg. MC has repositioned so is expecting the overun on my WEs to put their flank right in front of 2 lances - we'll see!

My DRs position themselves across the front of these 2 lances in such a way as to redirect any overun of his towards the empty field in front of where I figure his lances will end up. My Exes start to move around the building and my rxbs turn to face the lances moving round towards my Lord.

Magic and shooting kills odd models here and there, but causing no panics as such.

In the combat phase the pegs die to a man and my lord holds his ground. Got a nice little surprise lined up and I'm still hoping MC will start to think a little rather than be so rash. The WEs kill the peg and overun 3". Excellent! :twisted:

His turn 4 and he charges the Drs with 1 lance and declares the second on my WE flank. The DRs decide to hold which means the second charge fails. Boy oh boy, some people never learn! He charges my lord with another lance despite my pointing out that in doing so, when my lord flees ( which he did ) I have a really good chance to rally given the length of table behind me, his lance is then within short range of all my shooting and both my wizards will be stopping by to ruin their day. Does he listen? :badh:

I flee, he fail charges. His magic does nothing. The Drs break from combat and he pursues ending up in charge range of both my Chariot if it passes stupidity, and my Witches! ** Happy Birthday to me. Happy Birthday to me ** :D

Turn 5 and my Lord rallies, my support Chariot having passed stupidity went into the lance along with the ladies and he flees. The Cauldron Guardians line up with my Lord in readiness for the impending charge should my shooting prove ineffective..............
The liger
Malekith's Pet Cat

Post by The liger »

Heh, good battle and report. You've made some lovely moves against him, and really turned the tables around. Given me some thoughts and tactics to try out too. I look forward to the next (and final?) part!
"Purrrrr...."

Venkh wrote:I wish i had been told about the "A-Team effect" that druchii experience with their shooting.

i.e. move into position, huge ammounts of shooting, nobody gets killed.
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Druchiishootlord »

I think at this point i've learned a very very important lesson thanks to DA, playing WAAC is like smoking Crack, you're just all bleeped up in the end.

Nice report DA. This definitely shows that just a straight forward and charge ahead Brets can lose very convincingly if tactics are used. Gives me hope.
"Like never before will the weaker race of men tremble before our might."

Lord Yeurl to his captain before a battle in the Old World.

R4V3N wrote:do not question eldacar.

his word is law.
Narathiel
Rudolph's Heir

Post by Narathiel »

Nice job DA.

Prooves that Black Lotus it pretty damn good. Another combo I have been experimenting with is an assassin with that and the TOK item which makes a model in contact loose one attack,
Not only does it own ogres, kroxis and the such if there is only one in BTB but he has actually won any fight against T5 5 Wound no AS monsters such as mantis, hippogryphs etc.!!!!

You had some really evil tactics in your sleeve for this game, so nice work winning against such a tough list too.

cheers
nathy
Yeah, been a long time and I have come across all sort of ****.

but I AM back so there you go-it's official ;)
It seems like the assassin sent out to eliminate me failed.
[insert evil laughter]
Blackear
Warrior

Post by Blackear »

Ah damn it.

Where the hell's turn six?

It's good reading so far makes me think I need more practice with my DE though. Fighting is not somethign that they excel at :|
Rich Paget

Fear me for I am the Padge!

www.dragon-slayers.org.uk
Alkair

Post by Alkair »

Congratulations, DA, for teaching your opponent and us a valuable lesson in tactics...is MC Warhammer meanwhile banned from this site or did you very un-druchii-like grant mercy??
---------------------
House Sheth Harath
Highborns of the great city of Ghrond
Guardians against the Great Chaos Waste
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Alkair wrote:is MC Warhammer meanwhile banned from this site or did you very un-druchii-like grant mercy??

No, he's not banned. He never actually has been.

This is really funny, I would pay money to watch this game! :lol:
Film it boys! ;)

Fr0
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey

Great report man, of what sounds like a very enjoyable game (from your side atleast!).

It just once again shows the advantage a skilled player can have over a "downloaded" broken army list! There is a guy in our shop who is crap at WFB (I realise Ed is certainly not crap btw - he did loads better than I at the finals) and has taken to using a SAD list recently, he still loses most the time!

Cant wait for the final part, and would very much like to hear from MC Warhammer here.

Chris
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Xizor wrote:
Cant wait for the final part, and would very much like to hear from MC Warhammer here.

Same here, I think he's scared to post! ;) Hehe, hence the reason for the above post asking if he was banned. ;)

Fr0
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Blackear wrote:Ah damn it.

Where the hell's turn six?

It's good reading so far makes me think I need more practice with my DE though. Fighting is not somethign that they excel at :|

Sorry Rich, I'll put turn 6 up on Monday, and the rest of turn 5 too ( which is where Ed gets beardy yet again despite my warning... ), I like to keep the suspense going ;)

And no I didn't ban him. Figured I'd name and shame instead. Eds actually ok when you meet him, much better than the way he used to come across on the forums. Disappointed to hear he's going all SAD for the heats tho. He ought to stick with his VCs, he uses them really well.
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Dark Alliance wrote: Eds actually ok when you meet him, much better than the way he used to come across on the forums.

Yeah this is definately true.

As for choices of armies for the Heats, isnt it worth waiting to see what the new rulespack contains?

Looking forward to the final parts.
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Benji

Post by Benji »

Xizor wrote:
As for choices of armies for the Heats, isnt it worth waiting to see what the new rulespack contains?

yes
Blackear
Warrior

Post by Blackear »

Monday?

You sir are a cad and I for one am not impressed

:|

;)

Will look forward to it.
Rich Paget

Fear me for I am the Padge!

www.dragon-slayers.org.uk
Mc warhammer
Highborn

Post by Mc warhammer »

However the one thing I will say in my defense it that I checked the rulebook later and a unit cannot move within a inch of a enemy modal, so those DR would not of been able to go between the two units of knights out of there LOS. :)

List wise the only thing being changed is droping a scroll for the item which gives me a extra dispel dice.

And as for letting the crossbow people charge my Pegs I did it because I knew I would still beat them, if not with the pegs themselves then wih the unit of KOTR.

As for armys for the heats I am considering VC, however the problem with that army is due to its nature complex situations often arise to do with distance and angles and where units flee etc, which could cause arguments if my opponent is going all out to win and qualify. With SAD I simply shoot him, and he dies, thus no arguments can arise. As for VC considering dropping the vampire count for a master necromancer and a knight nit for a black coach.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

lol

Yay! We provoked a reply from Mr. Warhammer. ;)

I think the 1" rule you are referring to is a suggestion, and is in effect only so we can differentiate what models are fighting and which aren't. You are free to move within 1" but you shouldn't stop them closer than 1", so I think his DR were ok. :)

Fr0