2250 vs HE: Dragon on Dragon

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

2250 vs HE: Dragon on Dragon

Post by Drek »

I went uber cheese. He wasn't far behind.

Me:
DL on Dragon, Crimson Death, AoD, Pendant, 1 Null Tali
Master on CO, lance, HA, SH, SDC, 3 Null talis
3x5 DR, naked
2x5 Harpies
20 BG, FC, Ring of Hotek, Std of HG
5 Shades, GW with Assasin, Rending Stars, Manbane, AHW
6 COK, FC, Banner of Cold Blood
2 Hydras

Him:
Lvl 4 on the weakest dragon, with the 100 pt "all doubles are irrestible" item
Lvl 2 on horse chariot
2x10 archers
4 Lion Chariots
2x5 Shadow Warriors w/ champ
4 RBT's

Battlefield:
Forests on either flank, hill in my DZ center right, hill in his DZ center left. Standard stuff.

Deployment:
He had two RBT's and an archer unit on his hill, so I put the shades and 1 unit of harpies over there. Other 2 RBT's on my right, so I put other harpies and a unit of DR over there. Next to his hill he had the other archers, then 2 lion chariots, caster chariot, the other 2 lions, and then last two RBT's. He put the dragon behind the archers in the middle. From left to right in my center I had COK w/ Master, DR, Hydra w/ DR in front, BG, Hydra. I win roll for scouts, put my shades in left forest. He puts his two SW units in woods on the right.

He wins turn 1:
Dragon goes in front of his hill to threaten COK. Chariots all move up. Magic phase does nothing. He shoots center DR unit down to 1. SW shoot 1 DR on right. Not too bad.

My turn 1:
Right DR charge 1 unit of SW in woods. Assasin leaves shades to shoot dragon from comfort of woods. Shades and Harpies go wide left to flank RBT's on hill. Harpies on right go wide to flank other RBT's. Left hydra moves to flame other SW unit. COK back up a bit, dragon goes into position for counter charge. Lone DR from center unit moves right in front of Horse chariot, angled so that if he takes the bait he'll end up right in front of my left hydra. BG advance. No magic. Assasin does a wound to mage and dragon, hydra flames 2 SW, and my DR annihilate SW and overrun all of 2.5 inches into woods (rolled 5).

His turn 2:
His remaining 3 SW charge DR in woods. Horse chariot takes bait, lone DR flees, gets caught, but the chariot is 17.75 inches from hydra and hits it. Oops. Dragon moves wide left to try and get harpies and shades. Lions on the right move toward hydra, he screws up and puts one less than 12" away with the other right next to it. Left chariots move towrad the center and turn to face my left, planning to charge COK. Magic miscasts and ends turn. Oops. He shoots left DR unit down to 1 and kills 2 COK with RBT. Tries a left RBT at hydra but fails to wound. One right RBT kills 1 harpy, other does 1 wound to right hydra. Archers kill all but 2 COK and Master. Combat on the right, SW kill all but 1 DR, who kills 2 SW, it's a push. His horse chariot bounces off the hydra, doing no wounds. In response, the chariot is destroyed but not the character, who autobreaks. I pursue.

My turn 2:
Harpies on the left flee from terror.

He made two mistakes last turn, and here is where they cost him the game. He put the right most lion chariot in charge range of the hydra, and on the left my other hydra is also now in charge range. To make matters worse, both will flee into another chariot. Of course, I charge, and he flees with both chariots on the left (I redirected), and the one on the right. 3 of his 4 chariots fleeing. Both chariots hit by their buddies go down to 1 wound left. Achers get hit by 2 chariots, he rolls 2 impact hits and only kills 2. But now they're behind archers. Shades on the left charge RBT, harpies on the right charge RBT. Dragon moves to center, roughly at my 12" line, facing his line. Hydra and BG move up. Assasin gets another wound on dragon and another on mage with Stars. RBT crew on left kills 1 shade, other kills a dude, shade holds. ON the right, harpies wipe out crew and overrun into second RBT.

His turn 3:
He's in trouble. All fleeing chariots rally, and the one that is not has one wound and charges right hydra. He moves center archers to stand and shoot at impending Hydra charge. Dragon flies toward center to threaten flank of BG. Magic and shooting kill all the COK and the master. Right harpies kill other crew but lose 2, overrunning into one of the just rallied ones. Left shade kills remaining RBT crewman. The lion chariot bounces off the hydra, who eats it.

My turn 3:
Left hydra charges center archers. Right hydra charges Lion chariot in the center, not sure exactly what happened here but there was one and it ended up running. Again. Ends up doing 2 wounds to dragon. Shade charges other RBT crew. Assasin moves to shoot Dragon. Again. Left hydra ends up killing all but 1 archer, who rolls double 1 to hold. Wow. 2 Lion chariots are staring him in the flank after they dispatch harpies. Shade kills 1 RBT crewman.

His turn 4:
He resists the urge to charge BG with his dragon, and double charges flank of hydra with 2 lion chariots. Which bounce off, doing only 1 wound. In response, hydra takes final wound off 1 chariot, and does 2 to the other. I win, run down lone archer but chariot gets away. Of course, as it does it runs through his formerly fleeing chariot, which he had just rallies. It takes a couple wounds. Archers on hill get smart and shoot Assasin dead. Shade kills final RBT dude. No RBT"s left.

My turn 5:
Left hydra charges Lion Chariot. It dies horribly.

His turn 6:
Dragon charges left hydra in rear. Other lion chariot doesn't rally and runs off board. During magic phase, he rolls double 2's within 12" of ring on hotek. With no idea which took precendence, we looked in the BRB and it said miscasts take precedence. So he miscasts, got the one where every model takes an S6 hit. Killed mage and both Beastmasters. We both do Monster Reactions, he gets 6, I get 1. His frenzied dragon does 1 wound, I do 2, and the dragon dies. Game over.

Massive victory. Go Druchii!

Impression: hard to get a dragon in combat with a dragon. Assasin was uber-nasty versus his dragon. Those chariots just couldn't take the hydras, but bottom line is that those two mistakes cost him the game. Chariots can't get charged, and if they flee they can't hit their own dudes.