Dark Elves v. Daemons - 2000 tournament

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Sig121
Trainee Warrior

Dark Elves v. Daemons - 2000 tournament

Post by Sig121 »

This is the first game of a three game 2000 point tournament at a GW store. It was scored 15 for a win, 9 for a draw, 5 for a loss, with scenario points possible. I didn't get some of the skirmish units to show chronicler correctly as you'll see, but close enough. My list was as follows:

Supreme Sorceress w/Dark Pegasus, Pendant, Focus Familiar, Death Magic
-Soulblight, Fate of Bjuna, Doom and Darkness, Spirit Leech this game
Death Hag BSB w/Cauldron of Blood
30x Witch Elves w/Banner of Murder and a musician
30x Corsairs w/Sea Serpent Standard and a musician
18x Black Guard w/standard bearer
7x Dark Riders w/repeating crossbows and a musician
5x Shades w/extra hand weapons
5x Harpies
1x War Hydra

I played against a Daemons army and this was the basics of the list. I don't know daemons very well so I'm not sure of the gear, but he ended up with a 3+ magic resistance save on his Bloodletters unit.

40(or so) x Bloodletters w/command
25(or so) x Flesh Hounds w/Karnak (sp?) character upgrade
5x Flamers
5x Flamers
Skulltaker
Herald of Khorne

This battle was Dawn Attack with points for having your general in the enemy's deployment area at the end of the game and for each core unit you destroy to a max of 3.

During deployment, the Daemons put both charactes with the Bloodletters. He ended up with Flamers and Bloodletters on my far left, and the Flesh Hounds and Flamers on my far right. Everything I had came down in my right and center, with the Sorceress deploying in the Black Guard. Shades deployed out in the middle. I set up the Witches and Black Guard to take on the Bloodletters and it seemed like set up gave me the advantage. I then forgot to vanguard. This develops into a theme. It looked like this:

Daemons get first turn and the combat units move forward as fast as they can. Both Flamer units move toward the middle and I lose one shade to shooting. Looks like this:

Dark Elves first turn and I forget to use the Cauldron buff. Sorceress hops out of the Black Guard. Witches and Black Guard advance toward the Bloodletters using the Harpies as a screen so I can charge both in at the same time next turn. Dark Riders move up and combine fire with the Shades to do very little damage to the left side Flamers. My Hydra and Corsairs turn toward the Flesh Hounds which are moving in fast. Looks like this:

Daemons turn 2 sees both Flamers continue to the center. I lose all but one Shade to shooting and 4 Dark Riders. The Flesh Hounds continue to move up. The Bloodletters charge the Harpies, destroy them, and reform as expected.

Dark Elves turn 2 and I forget to use the Cauldron buff again (doh!). Witches and Black Guard combo charge the Bloodletters. Dark Riders charge the left side Flamers in the flank. The War Hydra moves up in front of the Flesh Hounds to flame them, then hopefully get charged and last one round of combat so the Corsair Horde can go into the flank. Of course then I forget to use the breath weapon! The Sorceress flies into the middle and uses the high power Soulblight, which hits all the deamon units.

The Witches and Black Guard manage to kill more than half of the Bloodletters, but the Black Gaurd get mangled in return thanks to the characters he has in there. The Dark Riders and Flamers almost kill each other off.

Daemons turn 3. The Flesh Hounds charge the Hydra as they can't wheel around to get the Corsairs. His Flamers squeeze between the gap in units to fire at the Sorceress, but do no damage. The Bloodletter fight continues, and the Black Guard are now almost gone. He is down to a quarter or less of the rank and file plus the characters. The Hydra holds up with one wound remaining against the Flesh Hounds and kills enough to tie combat. The Dark Rider and Flamer slap at each other.

Dark Elves turn 3. The game basically ends on this turn. I put up a ward save on the Witches with the Cauldron. I charge the last Shade in to help out with the Flamer. Corsairs get a flank charge on the Flesh Hounds. I roll 12 power dice, then cast my first spell with three 1's.......

The Black Guard are destroyed and the Witches lose by a point, but fail their rerollable stubborn test for being in range of the Cauldron. They get run over by the Bloodletters and are destroyed. The Hydra dies and the Corsairs basically bounce off the flank of the Flesh Hounds, who reform to face them. Ouch. The one high point is when I finally kill off the last Flamer in the left side unit.

Daemons turn 4. The Sorceress gets shot 20 some times by the Flamers and dies. The Corsairs lose 15+ models and run away from the Flesh Hounds, who fail to catch them, but will destroy them a turn later. All that is left for the Deamons is clean up, which is how they spend the rest of the game.

The result of this game is max points for the Daemons. I thought the deployment favored me and the Witches/Black Guard combo would beat out the Bloodletters, but that wasn't the case. That huge unit of Flesh Hounds was tough too. Probably would have helped if I remembered to use the Cauldron for the first two turns.

The other two games might pop up in a day or two. Anyway, tactics comments are welcome!
Skullshatter
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Skullshatter »

u would have been able to kill all the blood letters if you swaped the positioning of the corsairs and the black guard but i dont know about those flesh hounds they seem tough also why are you taking black guard without anything to buff thier armour save?
when all else fails, send in the hydra(s)
Sig121
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sig121 »

Haven't looked at this in a while and didn't see there was a reply.

skullshatter - Afterward, I thought I should have brought the corsairs around the house into the flank/rear of the bloodletters, sort of as you suggest. As for swapping the deployment, I couldn't. It was dawn attack and the corsairs rolled middle. Really the only thing I should have done with the black guard is give them a ward with the cauldron... and I kept forgetting to apply the blessing at the start of my turn.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I have rather harsh experiences against a unit of bloodletters. Put a character in there, and the unit is dynamite. I've tried to hack it down in a variety of ways but it proved hard to win the attrition.

I wonder.. Perhaps it was worth using your WE's as a bait unit? Make it run off the table and have it removed out of the game for a while. Denied them points... perhaps.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

I don't remember Skulltaker, what special rules does he have other than a herald?

The way to deal with normal bloodletters with herald with such a list as you have, is to snipe the herald. It shouldn't be the biggest problem as a dark elf. Use harpies to block them from charges in case you fail in this, and flee with them if you succeed. Normal witch elves should be able to take care of the rest, although soulblight when the close combat comes, helps a lot.

If you don't manage to snipe the herald before close combat, use every attack you have to take him down, or you will lose a LOT more due to hatred.

You gotta remember using the CoB buff and that hydra breath was essential to take out some of those flesh hounds. I think your list would've been better with shadow lore than the death lore though.

He had no caster? You could have deployed as far back as you could and just let him come to you, snipe him all the way and finally engaged him when you wanted. His fleshhounds was so poorly set up that a couple of harpy units would be able to block him out of combat entirely.

I think your list would have been a bit better with some more shooty units. You have tons of low S attacks already, so swapping out the corsairs for crossbowmen or witch elves for shades would have helped a lot.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Liquidedust
Highborn

Post by Liquidedust »

Omnichron wrote:I don't remember Skulltaker, what special rules does he have other than a herald?

WS9 S6 T4 I9 A4 Ld8

5+ Heroic Killing Blow, must always issue and accept challenges if possible, 3+ Scaly Skin, MR2, he is one nasty character. (this in addition to being demonic and all demonic special rules)

edit: To top it all off, he also has flaming attacks.
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

It's too bad that you didn't use the Cauldron in the previous turns. Also your choice of buffing the WE with the ward save vice more attacks seems odd to me. The extra pile of attacks you would have gotten would probably been better for you in doing combat res damage.