League Match 1: Skaven 2.000 pnts

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Cold73
Highborn

League Match 1: Skaven 2.000 pnts

Post by Cold73 »

My army list can be found here http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=70978

Set Up Terrain.
My left flank; Terrain consisted of a forest just ahead of my deployment zone, a Grave Yard (Impassable Terrain) just on the 2’ line on my left flank in the middle, and a small hill in his deployment zone, just touching the edge.
Central Board, one Forest straight in the middle of the board, between our two armies and a small hill in the middle of my Deployment Zone.
My right Flank; a small church just about half way, slightly more to my side, and a large hill in the corner of his deployment zone.

[b]Set Up Armies:[/b]
Dark Elves:
A small unit of Spearman led by my Supreme Sorceress on my left flank (in line with the graveyard), my lone lvl 2 sorceress, to the side, and slightly behind my Spearman, My big unit of Black Arc Corsairs next to that. My Hydra to the right side of that unit, just in front of the Hill in my deployment zone, my Cauldron of Blood on the hill, behind my troops, my Black Guard on the right side of my Hydra. A small unit of Witch Elves, on my left flank, with the church between them and the Skaven. 5 Dark Riders on my far right flank. My scouting shades we deployed 12” out of my enemies deployment zone, straight to the edge of the board on my right flank.

Skaven.
A big unit of Clan Rats with a Screaming Bell just shy of the line with the Grave Yard. A Huge unit of Skaven Slaves next to that unit, followed by a unit of Plague Monks, plague sensor banners and a huge unit of Clan Rats with a Poison Wind Mortar on his right flank . All these units were spaced between the Grave Yard and the Church. (central board), His Warp Lightning Cannon was placed on the large hill in his deployment zone (that is why I placed my dark riders, and my Scouts there). His Doomwheel was placed between his Storm vermin and his warp lightning canon.
After I had moved up my Dark Riders (fast cavalry special rule). We rolled to see who would start first, and I got the first turn.

Dark Elf Turn 1
I moved both my Scouts and Dark Rider as close to his Warp Lightning Cannon as I could. Both to make sure that a run from his Doomwheel would have a good chance to hurt his cannon if he failed his charge. All my other units moved up. Making sure my Supreme Sorceress was in range for her spells. But also staying far enough away that I had another chance to destroy his Screaming Bell with spells should that be necessary. Luck was with me in this round, and I got a total of 10 dice to cast spells with. My first spell was a minor spell to lower the Initiative of his Unit with his Screaming Bell. He let that one go, and I reduced his Initiative by 3. My next spell lowered the Strength of his Skaven slaves by 2, he let that one through as well. Then I cast Withering on his unit of Plague Monks, lowering their Toughness by 2. He tried to Dispell that, but he failed. I then used Power of Darkness, which nearly failed, but by offering one of my Spearman with her Sacrificial Dagger, she made it anyway, and gained three extra powerdice, I used my remaining dice to cast Pit of Shades, since he didn’t have a Dispel Scroll he had to try and dispel, and failed to do that. My Pit of Shades scattered only 2 inches, just enough to still clip the bell and a handful of Skaven. He had to make Initiative tests with all of them, or be pulled to their DOOM!!!. To make a long story short, he failed all his tests. Killing 5 Rats, his Grey Seer, and his Screaming Bell all in one go. But My real luck was just about to start. Both my Dark Riders and Scouts shot at his Canon. 20 shots; I hit with about half of them, but now I needed sixes to wound him…and I rolled 5 those….way above average…and enough to destroy his Canon. My first turn was already a huge advantage for me, killing 2 of his most dangerous units before they could even react.

Skaven Turn 1.
With his Bell destroyed, his Clan Rats from that unit reformed and moved forward, Both his Slaved and His Plague Monks marched forward. His Clan Rats on the my right side turned to face my Dark Riders and Scouts. His Doomwheel tried to move straight towards my line, but only moved 5 inches or so. For Magic he dispelled my withering, and tried to cast a Warp Lightning spell, which I easily dispelled.

Dark Elf Turn 2.
Having no clear charges, I moved everything up a bit, making sure I kept everything in line, with my Black Guard just behind the Forest. With very little Power Dice to cast spells with, I cast Withering on his Plague Monks again lowering his Toughness by 1 that time. He failed to Dispell that, and I lowerd the Weapon Skill of his Skaved slaved by 1 just in case the would charge my Black Ark Corsairs that turn. Both my Scouts and Dark Riders moved to the side of his unit of Clan Rats on my Right, and all 20 shots were fired at the Poison Wind Mortar….only 3 hits were made, and only 1 wound inflicted, but that was enough to destroy it.

Skaven Turn 2.
My opponent tried to charge his Slaves into my Black Ark Corsairs but failed, he then moved his unit of Clan Rats (ex unit of the Screaming Bell) in front of my Corsairs, moved his Plague Priests up to a position to charge either my Hydra or my Corsairs next turn. His Doomwheel moved forward a whopping 6 inches. And his Clan Rats on my right flank decided to ignore my Dark Riders and Scouts, and turns toward the main battle, moving forward a couple of Inches. There was very little shooting, he used his Doom Rocket to shoot at my Witch Elves, but overshot them completely. His Doomwheel tried to withhold his shooting, but failed to do so, and hit his plaguemonks, inflicting only one casualty, but one of his shots misfired, and the Doomwheel moved in a random direction. (to the middle of the board almost). There were plenty of Power Dice for him to cast spells with, but with failing to dispel Witerhing with his Plague Priest, he had only one other lvl 1 caster, who tried to cast Warp Lightning, but that was once again easily dispelled by me.

Dark Elf Turn 3
Magic was low, only 2 dice, which I used gain Power of Darkness, and reduce the Weapon skill of both the Clan Rats (Miasma) and the Plague Monk (Pain and Suffering) to 1. I tried to charge his Doomwheel with my Witch Elves, but I failed to make it. I buffed my Black Ark Corsairs with an extra attack from the Cauldron of Blood, and charged them into the Clan Rats. Due to the now huge number of attacks my frenzied Corasairs had (26 in total); I managed to kill 17 of his Clan Rats. Since they had less ranks then me at that time, they fled combat, I tried to pursue, but ended up charging his unit of Skaven Slaves. My Black Guard, moved up so that the just touched the edge of the forest. My Hydra moved up to tempt a charge from his Plague Monks. During the Shooting Phase, my Dark Riders and Scouts killed all the Plague Sensor Bearers.

Skaven Turn 3.
During Magic he tried to Dispel Withering and failed to do so, then used his other caster and the remaining dice to dispel Enfeebling Foe from his Skaven Slaves. His Clan Rats rallied. His DoomWheel charged into the flank of my Corsairs, and killed a lot of my Corsairs, but I killed a lot more Skaven Slaves, leaving only 20 or so of them, the Slaved were Steadfast, and stayed to fight another round, the Doomwheel lost the nerf to fight, and broke from combat. The Plague Monks charged my Hydra, and even though the Plague Priest was with them, and managed to survive the attacks from my Handlers, they didn’t cause a single wound on my Hydra. My Hydra killed close to 20 of the Plague Monks, with his regular attack, Breath Weapon and Thunder Stomp. The Plague Monks lost combat, but were steadfast, and stayed to fight another round (they did however loose frenzy).

Dark Elf Turn 4
Magic was average this turn, I tried lower the Weapon of the Plague Monks, and he dispelled that, then I did so again with Pain and Suffering so their Weapon Skill was still 1. I then cast Withering on his Slaves, lowering their Toughness by 2. I also reduced the Strength of the Plague Monks by 1. Then as a final spell I cast Soulstealer on his unit of Slaves, killing 15 or so with that one spell. My Corsairs easily finished the remaining few of. And reformed to face the few remaining Clan Rats from his bell. My Black Guard (buffed with an extra attack from my Cauldron) charged into the flank of the Plague Monks in combat with my Hydra, and the combined force killed all but 4 of his Plague Monks, who fled away from my Black Guard, through my Corsairs. Both my Black Guard and Hydra reformed to face his almost still full unit of Clan Rats. My Witch Elves charged into his Doomwheel, and destroyed it.

Skaven Turn 4
His few remaining Plague Monks, were virtually unable to flee, and kept on running, right through the Grave Yard. His remaining Clan Rats from his screaming bell unit chared my Corsairs, who once again killed a lot of them, the Clan Rats tried to flee, only to be caught and killed by my Corsairs. The nearly full unit of his Clan Rats on my right side charged my Black Guard, and although they did kill a couple of my Black Guard, my Black Guard, still buffed by my Cauldron killed easily 4 times more of the Clan Rats. The Clan Rats lost combat, and although they were steadfast, they failed their break test, even with the reroll from the Battle Standard Bearer in the unit. The Clan Rats tried to flee, but were run down by the Black Guard.

With only the 4 Plague Monks still alive, my opponent gave up.

A clear win for the Dark Elves.

Note:
I am however unsure if this is truly a tale worth mentioning on this forum of Extra-ordinary Druchii Gentleman, since my opponent hadn’t played for over 7 years. I did however play a small 500 pnt battle against him before we started to get him up to spec a bit. This however was clearly not enough to show him that battle can be won and lost in the movement phase.