MOAB (Mother of all Battles) 2012, Australian Tournament

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lorddrittz
Beastmaster

MOAB (Mother of all Battles) 2012, Australian Tournament

Post by Lorddrittz »

This is the list I took to the Tourney and it got a score of 3/5 with 5 being soft list and 1 being very Cheesey.

I built the list around what I thought would be the Meta Game at the Tourney ie: lots of MC, however I was surprised to see very few MC in any of the lists.. The idea of the DE list was to be reasonably good at Magic, Shooting and Combat, while also having re-directors and throw away CoK units to stop monsters, MC etc...
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71150

The Armies at the Tourney were as follows: 5 DE's, 4 VC's, 3 WE's, 2 Demons, 1 WoC, 1 Skaven, 1 Empire, 1 HE, 1 Ogre, 1 Lizardman, 1 Beastman, 1 Orc & Goblin

Day 1

I was happy to be playing against Ogres as I know the army pretty well and with Lore of Shadow had the tools I needed to win. However this was a tough first round match up for me, as Chris is a very good player although he was new to using Ogres, Chris went on to win this Tournament.

Game 1 Dawn Attack vs. Chris Cousin's Ogre Army

Deployment was a bit random due to the scenario.

Ogres Deployment (Left to right)
Sabre Tusk, Sabre Tusk, Sabre Tusk, Iron Guts with Slaughter Master & BsB, 8x leadbelchers, Ogres with Firebelly & Butcher, 8 x Leadbelchers, with 2x Iron-blasters at the rear.

Dark Elves (Left to Right)
Harpies, RBT, Harpies, CoK, CoK & General, Spears & Lvl 4, Cauldron (behind), RBT, Black Guard, Corsairs, RxB's & Lvl 1, Master on Pegasus

Because I was too Ironblaster conscious I had hidden my RBT's behind hills (infinitely high at this Tourney) which limited their field of view and damage output.

Lost 4 - 16

Game 2 Battle for the Pass vs. Skaven Army

I was happy to be facing Skaven as this was my previous army prior to playing DE's. However the narrow table would mean that flanking the Rat big blocks was going to be difficult. So my plan here was to take out all the Skaven shooting, Hellpit, Doomwheel & Gutter Runners and leave the big blocks alone.

Skaven Deployment (Left to right)
Rat Dart, WLC, WLC, Grey Seer in Clan rat bunker, Hellpit, Plague Monks with Furnace, Clanrats Warpfire Thrower, Clan Rats with Warpfire Thrower, Clan Rats with Rattling Gun, Rat Dart, Doomwheel

This was tricky to deploy against as he also had 3 x 5 Gutter Runners which can scout, so I blocked all the gaps and he tunneled them.

Dark Elves (left to right)
Harpies, CoK, Harpies, RBT, RxB's & Lvl 1, BG, Spearmen with Lvl 4, Corsairs, Cauldron BSB, CoK & Dreadlord, Harpies, Pegasus, RBT

Won 11 - 9

Game 3 Blood & Glory vs. Tim's Vampire Counts

Won 18 - 2

Day 2

Game 4 Meeting Engagement vs. Australian ETC Captain's Vampire Counts

Lost 6 - 14

Game 5 Pitched Battle vs. Daemon Army

Daemon deployment (Left to Right)
40 Bloodletters Herald Khorne, Cairos Fatweaver, Fiend,40 Daemonnettes (with Siren Song) Herald, Soul Grinder, 15 Horrors with Mage, Soul Grinder

Dark Elves (Left to Right)
RBT, Harpies, CoK, Harpies, RxB & Lvl 1 Mage, Spears & Lvl 4,CoK, Corsairs, BG behind Corsairs, Cauldron BSB, RBT, Pegasus

The basic idea here was to refuse my left flank which only had 4 units there and use the swamp in the center of the table to pivot around on my right flank. Then use Magic and shooting to soften up the Demons. The DE Magic was going to be difficult to get off as Cairos was the equivalent of a Lvl 6 Caster.

Turn 1.

The Demons got the +1 to go first and won the dice off. The Demons advanced every where and the Fiend was threatening the Crossbows from inside a forest. The Demon Magic and shooting did very little .

The CoK got Siren songed towards the Daemonnettes failing the charge. The left Harpy unit pushed up the left flank to March block the Bloodletters (however I forgot to move them for the rest of the game :oops: ). The second Harpy unit flew in front of the fiend to stop it charging the RxB's with the Fire Mtge in it. DE Magic & shooting did very little 1 wound on a Soul Grinder. The Level 4 miscast ending the Magic Phase and taking a wound. The CoK on the right advanced with the Corsairs and Dreadlord ready to engage a Soul-grinder. The Master on a Pegasus flew out to the right flank ready to charge the Horror block.

Turn 2

Win 14 - 6

I will do more extensive Battle Reports but am posting the bare bones while it is fresh in my memory.

I ended up finishing 11th out of 22 with my first Tourney with the Dark Elves which was 1 place off a top 10 spot which was my goal prior to the Tourney. I was the 3rd placed Dark Elf out of 6 in the Tourney.

to be continued
Last edited by Lorddrittz on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:00 am, edited 9 times in total.
Dark Elf Battles

Win/Draw/Loss
10 : 1 : 4 7th Ed Codex
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

Daemon list looked qutie tough. How did you manage to win despite the initial setbacks?
You have reached the Department of Circular Reasoning.

Please hold.
Lorddrittz
Beastmaster

Post by Lorddrittz »

Ye I will post the rest of the report soon.

My Corsairs and Dreadlord disposed of the 2 Soul Grinders before losing the Corsairs to the buffed up Daemonettes.

The Fiend went down to shooting.

Cairos got Pit of Shaded into oblivion.

The Pegasus Master got the Horrors down to 1 left, I should have killed it to get full points with my Harpy unit that was still alive but I forgot to move it for 4 turns.

Basically I managed to avoid the Bloodletters they defeated my Warriors but the warriors out ran them.
Dark Elf Battles

Win/Draw/Loss
10 : 1 : 4 7th Ed Codex
Broken580
Slave on the Altar

Post by Broken580 »

he only thing I'm not too sure on is your battle against the HE. I'm not sure how the dragon armor on his prince confers to a 2+ward on the dragon. I could be wrong tho and will check the army book when i get home as army builder is always 100% accurate. AB says it give the wearer a 2+ vs fire which seems the same as the dragonhel
broken580