3k grand tournament, intro and game 1, DE vs Empire

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Sig121
Trainee Warrior

3k grand tournament, intro and game 1, DE vs Empire

Post by Sig121 »

This was a 5 games over 2 days grand tournament at the GW bunker in Bellevue (Seattle bunker). 3000 points and everything has to be painted. No composition scoring, but painting and sportsmanship figured into the overall score. You were required to bring terrain that could be magical. I brought the arcane ruins, which I picture in the battle reports as an altar.

The games were scored on a scale with 20 points possible. The 20 points were split between the players depending on how large of a win. Winning by 2000+ points was 20-0, a tie was 10-10, etc. There were up to 5 more points available for controlling the most table quarters, controlling the terrain brought by each player, and killing the opponents general or BSB. Player brought terrain was placed one of two ways. In game 1, 3, and 5, you placed it in your table half and it benefited the owner's army. In games 2 and 4, your opponent placed it in their table half and it had an effect on both armies.

These reports take a bit to put together, but when they are all finished, I'll link them to each other. Links to the other games:
Game 2 vs DE
Game 3 vs DE
Game 4 vs Vampire Counts
Game 5 vs DE

My list was as follows:

Supreme Sorceress, level 4, Shadow Magic, Talisman of Preservation (4+), Sacrificial Dagger, Life Taker
Sorceress, level 2, Death Magic, Dark Pegasus, PoK, Tome of Furion
Death Hag, BSB, Cauldron of Blood
20 Spearmen with shields, standard, standard of discipline (level 4 bunker)
28 Corsairs, hand weapons, musician, standard, sea serpent standard
5 Dark Riders, repeating crossbows, musician
5 Harpies
18 Repeating Crossbowmen, musician
30 Witch Elves, musician, standard, banner of murder
20 Black Guard, musician, standard, banner of eternal flame
10 Cold One Knights
5 Shades, additional hand weapons
Hydra
Hydra

Game 1

My opponenet was running an empire list as follows:

Arch Lector, barded horse, enchated shield, heavy armor, cloak of Ulric, Crown of Command
Wizard Lord, level 4, shadow magic, talisman of preservation
Warrior Priest, barded horse, heavy armor, shield
Warrior Priest, barded horse, heavy armor, shield
Warrior Priest, heavy armor, shield
Warrior Priest, heavy armor, shield
Captain BSB, armor of meteoric iron
Witch Hunter, brace of pistols
11 Innner Circle Knights with full command, lance and shield (Arch Lector)
9 Knights with full command, lance and shield (Priest)
9 Knights with full command, lance and shield (Priest)
40 Halberdiers, full command (Priest, Level 4, BSB)
20 Greatswords, full command (Priest, Witch Hunter)
Cannon
Cannon
Steam Tank - I didn't find out about this unit until after the game, but this wasn't painted and he did not deploy it during this game. He painted the tank during the hour lunch break after this game, which is a feat in itself, and I assume he used it the next 4 games.

Deployment and scenario

This mission was battleline. I set the arcane ruins in front of the Sorceress bunker to help with channeling. My opponent set up a tower on the right side that didn't come into play at all. I deployed the Hydras and big combat blocks in the center around the general and BSB to ensure I could control the frenzied units. Cold Ones and crossbows went out to the left, Black Guard and riders to the right. The Empire mostly castled around a hill, but left one cannon way out on my right side with nothing around it and I was able to put Shades on top of it.

For spells, I'll only list what I got that had an effect on the game (not dispelled, failed to cast, etc...) The level 4 had Miasma and Pit of Shades, the Level 2 had Purple Sun and Fate of Bjuna. The Empire shadow wizard didn't do anything during the game that had any major impact. I was facing a good amount of dispell dice each round since my opponent was channeling with 6 models.

Turn 1

I ended up with first turn. I moved most of the line up quickly, as I thought my combat units outmached the Empire units they were lined up against. Harpies and Shades moved into position to charge both cannons on turn 2. My pegasus sorceress flew way out in front to cause annoyance.

During the magic phase I reduced the lead knight unit on my left flank (opponent's right) to initiative 1 with miasma and shot the large purple sun through them. The whole unit died along with a couple inner circle knights from the unit behind it.

During the Empire half of the turn, the Inner Circle block charged the pegasus sorceress and she fled. One cannon misfired and the other shot a Hydra, but rolled a 1 to wound (whew!). The Knights and Greatswords on the left side of the Empire wheel slightly.

During the magic phase I think the wizard miscast and blew up a few halberds, but did nothing else of note.

Turn 2

Most of my line continues to push forward to get in combat. The peg sorceress rallies. The Shades charge and destroy the cannon on my right, while the Harpies charge and destroy the one on the left. The Harpies also overrun into the flank of the Inner Circle Knights which is fantastic because it will pin them on my opponents turn, giving me a great opportunity to charge the IC with my Cold One Knights in turn 3.

During the magic phase I try and drop the large Pit of Shades on the knight block in the center (Empire left). It scatters on top of my Hydra and kills it. Doh!! Well, I suppose that's what I get for trying to use two cheese bombs in one game.

Empire half of turn 2. The knight block on my right squeezes past the Hydra and completes a charge against the witches. Combat goes my way and I manage to kill half of them, but they stick around. The Halberd horde and Demigryphs charge my Corsairs, but much to my opponent's benefit, the Halberd horde fails. I would have loved to chop them to bits, but instead, the Corsairs don't put much on the 1+ AS Demis. My Harpies are expectedly beat down by the IC knights and run away.

Warrior Priests manage some miscellaneous buffs on their respective units and the shadow wizard reduces my Corsair's weapon skill a bit.

Turn 3

Time was getting short for this round and this turn was going to be the last one we'd get in. The Harpies beat the odds and rallied! I attempted to get the Black Guard in with the Greatswords, but failed the charge. The Cold One Knights completed the charge into the Inner Circle Knights, and the Hydra flank charged the Halberd horde to prevent it from flanking the Cold One Knights. All the units in combat stuck, thanks to ward saves and other priest buffs.

The peg sorceress managed to snipe the warrior priest out of the greatsword unit with Bjuna, but I wasn't able to get anything off with the level 4 to help out the combats.

Empire half of turn 3 and the Greatswords attempted to charge the Black Guard, but failed. I guess both units opted for a staring match instead. Nothing important came out of the magic phase. The Cold One Knights broke the Inner Circle block and ran them down, netting me the Arch Lector. The rest of the units in combat stuck around.

End of game

At the end of the game, the only thing my opponent scored as points was the Hydra that I accidentally killed with poorly aiming Pit of Shades. The result, after the secondary objectives, was 20 to 4 (this might be slightly off as I did not write it down). The Empire player was new and had picked up his army only a week or two prior to the tourney. He had painted everything in that time. Sort of lopsided, but fun.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Three of your 5 games were against other Dark Elves. Wow...were there THAT many? :o
Sig121
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sig121 »

There were 3, including me, out of 12 players at the event. I ended up playing one of them twice because of the way each game is paired by comparative point totals.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Oh. Now I see why. Only 12 players total. Very small for a two day tournament.
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

Your turn one was a bit of dream 8)

I like the balance of this particular army list. Good choice of troops, well used.

Thanks for the write up.
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."