Tomb Kings vs. Dwarves 2500...all text

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

Tomb Kings vs. Dwarves 2500...all text

Post by Druchiishootlord »

Tomb Kings

Tomb King Tutanhkhotep: 228
~Shield, Sword of Striking, Armor of Fortune, Dragonbane Gem

Liche High Priest Khartepis: 235
Level 4, Dispel Scroll, Lore of Nehekhara

Tomb Herald Rakneph: 107
BSB, Shield, Biting Blade, Dragonhelm

x20 Archers: 130
Standard

x20 Archers: 130
Standard

x38 Warriors: 220
LA, FC

x30 Warriors: 180
LA, FC

Tomb Scorpion: 85

Tomb Scorpion: 85

x4 Ushabti: 200
Great Bows

War Sphinx: 210

x3 Stalkers: 165

x3 Stalkers: 165

Casket: 135

Necro Sphinx: 225

Total: 2499

Dwarves

Dwarf Lord: 291
~ GW, Shield Bearers, MRoKragg, RoFury, RoSnorri, MRoSpite

Thane: 167
~ BSB, Sh, RoCleaving, RoFury, RoResistance, RoStone

Runesmith: 147
~ Sh, MRoBalance, RoSpellbreaking

x14 Thunderers: 210
~ Shields

x23 Longbeards: 331
~ Shields, RoCourage

x14 Quarrellers: 168
~ Shields

x22 Hammerers: 319
~ FC, RoBattle

x23 Hammerers: 356
~ FC, MRoGrungni

Grudge Thrower: 130
~ RoAccuracy, RoPenetrating

Grudge Thrower: 135
~ RoAccuracy, RoPenetrating, RoBurning

Organ Gun: 120

Organ Gun: 120

Terrain and Pre-game notes:

Most of the terrain in this game never came into play. That includes a Mist Shrouded Swamp, Bane Stone, Nehekharan Sphinx,
2 forests, and a water feature. The swamp and 2 mystical elements were placed in corners far away from everything.
The river ran along the back of the Dwarf deployment zone and meant nothing. There was a forest to the left flank of each
army, the Dwarf had a Sigmarite Shrine (useless) just out of his deployment zone so his unit would have to move to reach
it. I had a Wizard's Tower which was also just outside of my deployment zone. This was also equally useless as I only ever
cast 3 of the spells I generated before the game started. Along the board edges are where those forests were next to each
building. The only other terrain pieces were two hills which both happened to be an Anvil of Vaul. As my King and Herald
were next hit the entire game by shooting these were in effect just regular hills. Both hills were on my left and one in
each deployment zone angled towards the center of the board.

My High Priest rolled a 2, 2, 5, 6 for spells. I changed a 2 to a 3 and then dropped 6 for my Signature. So in the end I
had the Incantations of the Desert Wind, Protection, Smiting, and Desiccation. I never cast Desiccation, oddly enough.

As a reminder Desert Wind is my movement spell, Protection gives me a ward save, and Smiting allows to more attacks/shots.
Desiccation would have allowed me to lower Strength and Toughness by 1 or D3. Again Desiccation was never used.

Deployment:

All deployment is from my left to right.

Tomb Kings:

My Necro Sphinx was deployed behind the forest and the Tower. Both units of Archers were on this left flank. One on the
hill the other in position to occupy the tower. The High Priest was deployed in the Archers on the hill. The center of the
board on the left was my large unit of Warriors which held both King and Herald. Next to them was the smaller unit of
Warriors holding down the exact center. On my right was the Ushabti and the War Sphinx. The Casket was deployed farthest
right and far away from what anything of the Dwarves were able to reach. I entombed everything that could be. Each one of
Scorpions was placed near a Grudge Thrower on both flanks. The Stalkers were both placed on my right flank near the
Shrine. One near the Dwarf deployment zone next to an Organ Gun while the other was in front of the building nearer the
center of the board.

Dwarves:

On the hill was deployed the Quarrellers and one of the Organ Guns, more or less directly across from the Tower and hill
on my end of the board. A Grudge Thrower (one with fire) was deployed about half into his deployment zone and near the
hill. The center of the board was the Longbeards (Runesmith here), Hammerers with the Rune of Grungni (BSB here), and
the final Hammerer unit with the Lord. Protecting this flank was the final Organ Gun and near the river in the corner the
final Grudge Thrower was placed. In front of the river and directly behind the Shrine was the Thunderers.

Depite having a +1 for finishing first the Dwarves lose the roll off first turn. Exactly what I was hoping for.

Tomb Kings Turn 1:

My Necro Spinx moves next to the trees but does not enter them. The left most my Archers occupies the Wizard Tower. All
other units move forward. The War Sphinx angles towards the Dwarf Lord lead Hammerers.

Magic sees the Winds of Magic give me double 3's. I rolled for 2 more dice off the Casket giving me a total of 8. I won't
mention it again, but I failed to Channel the entire game. The Dwarves ended up with 5. I successfully cast the Casket
doing 1 wound to the Grudge Thrower, no wounds to the Thunderers, and the beginning of the bad luck rolls started here...
rolling an 11 and with the re-roll scoring a 15 and destroying the Organ Gun. 5 Dice saw me cast a boosted Smiting by 1
after a dice dispel attempt. A single die Desert Wind was a failure.

Shooting saw very little happen. 1 wound was scored on the Quarrellers.

Dwarf Turn 1:

The Thunderers moved into the Shrine and all three combat units moved forward with as much hast as Dwarves can manage.

Shooting saw both Grudge Throwers hit their marks, the center of both Warriors units doing 15 on the larger unit and 13
on the smaller unit. The Quarrellers put 3 more wounds on the King's Warriors.

Tomb Kings Turn 2:

The Necro Sphinx flew over the woods and prepared to charge something next turn. The Warrior units moved forward along
with the Ushabti and the War Sphinx who angled out even more to be able to flank the Lord's Hammerer unit. Also the High
Priest moved within the Archer unit to get closer to the Warrior units. All units that were Entombed decided it was time
to come out and play. The left Scorpion scattered 2" almost perfectly parallel to the battle lines away from the Grudge
Thrower. The Scorpion on the right scattered 10" and would have ended up directly under the corresponding Grudge Thrower
causing me to pop out the other side. The Stalkers behind the building came up exactly on that point. The final Stalker
unit drifted 10" away toward the Grudge Thrower, effectively taken out of possibility to be charged. Both Stalker units
faced the Lord's Hammerer unit. Both Stalker units move closer to the Lord's Hammerer unit. The left Scorpion moved
closer to the Grudge Thrower on my left.

The Winds of Magic seemed to love me with a double 4 rolled for dice. I generated another 2 dice from the Casket. The
Dwarves thus had 6 dispel. Once more 2 dice were thrown at the Casket and it went off. It did nothing to any units as I
tried to nick off a few combat oriented Dwarves. I tossed 5 dice at another Smiting and (the bad luck continued for the
Dwarf) cast the boosted version by 2. Both Warrior units raised back 3 skeletons. The last 3 dice at a boosted Desert
Wind and scoring an IF. Rolling a 9 I allowed my opponent to roll to wound...scoring a 1. The Necro Spinx moved to flank
the Quarrellers. The King's Warrior unit recovered 4 models and the other unit recovered 2.

Shooting was once again more or less ineffective. Both Archer units only put 1 wound on the Quarrellers and Longbeards,
respectively. The Stalkers put 1 wound onto the Lord's Hammerers...that damn Master Rune of Grungni is killing me.

Dwarf Turn 2:

All three combat units moved forward with all Dwarvish haste. The Quarrellers reformed to face the Necro Sphinx so as not
to take a flank charge.

Shooting saw the Thunderers put 2 wounds on the War Sphinx. The remaining Organ Gun put 2 wounds on the Necro Sphinx.
In an inconceivable turn of events both Grudge Throwers scattered off their targets, even with a Rune of Accuracy on
each one.

Tomb King Turn 3:

Both Scorpions charged the respective Grudge Thrower that they were facing. The Necro Sphinx charged the Quarrellers. I
was hoping to pin down the Lord's Hammerer unit and charged both the Ushabti and the War Sphinx into that unit. All tests
by the Dwarves were passed. The King's unit moved forward and the other Warrior unit stayed put so that I may get a flank
charge in the following turns. Both Stalker units moved toward the BSB guarding Hammerers. I moved my Herald next to my
King so that they would both be able to attack the Longbeards and avoid having attacks directed into either of them from
his BSB.

The Winds of Magic once more blew in my favor with a 5, 4. I only generated 1 extra die from the Casket. Fearing that I
may use dice to use Protection or Smiting he let me a regular cast Desert Wind. I moved no units but raised back 4 models
to my King's Warriors and 3 to the other Warrior unit. With 7 dice at his disposal he used dice to dispel my attempt at
Protection and then Scrolled my attempt Smiting.

Shooting was pretty much irrelevent once more because of that damn Master Rune of Grungni. Doing a grand total of 1 wound
to the unengaged Hammerer unit. I only had range with 1 Stalker unit and that resulted in the 1 wound on them and 1 on me.
The Archers in the Tower did 1 wound to the Organ Gun.

Combat all around the back end of the board was pretty much predictable. The Necro Spinx mowed down the Quarrellers. His
only regular attack that hit and wounded was the Decapitating Strike but managed 5 Stomp wounds to no wounds back. The
Quarreller unit thus broke and was caught and killed. This carried me into the Organ Gun. The left Scorpion killed 3 of
the crew and they stuck thanks to their Stubborn. The Grudge Thrower on the right also stuck in combat. The combat against
the Dwarf Lord's unit turned horribly against me. I did quite a few wounds myself between the two constructs for a total
of 9 wounds to him. In the end however I just got monkey stomped. 5 Str 6 attacks with +1 to hit is a rough prospect on a
very tough Lord that has T5 and a 2+/4+. In the end there were 9 wounds done to the Ushabti and 2 to the War Sphinx. Add
to those wounds his bonuses and both units crumbled because I stupidly moved my Herald out of range of both units. The
Hammerer unit simply reformed was now waiting to charge my 2nd unit of Warriors.

Dwarf Turn 3:

All three of the combat units declare charges. Unfortunately for him the Lord's Hammerer unit rolled double 1's on his
charge attempt on the 2nd Warrior unit. Both the Longbeards and the other Hammerer unit were able to successfully charge
the unit I wanted them to, my King's unit.

Shooting was now nothing more than a novelty but the Thunderers did put 1 wound onto the Casket.

Combat was very dismaying for the Dwarf player, he had never played Tomb Kings, so when he first rolled to hit and I
reminded him that he needed 4's and not 3's to hit my Warriors and it was clear on his face. He was at least smart enough
to challenge with his BSB and I accepted with my unit Champion and only scored 2 hits and wounds on it. The rest of the
units plus my King and Herald faired about as well. Between my King and Herald I do 5 wounds to the Longbeards and even
though I hit them on 3's I do a miraculous 1 wound on the Hammerers. He ended up scoring 4 more wounds and adding that to
his challenge kill and overkill did a total of 6. 2 ranks, a banner, charging, and BSB included giving him a total of 11.
My 6 total wounds along with 2 ranks, a banner and my BSB only gave me 10. Thanks to that same BSB I lost 0 models.

Tomb King Turn 4.

The only real movement that I had included me shuffling up my 2nd Warrior unit to protect the King's flank as well as both
Stalker units creeping up on the Lord's unit. With nothing left that had range on my High Priest that could shoot at him
I moved him closer to combat so that I could benefit everything around him.

Magic was once again really good for me. I rolled another double 4's and 3 from the Casket. So having 10 dice and the my
opponent having 6 and a Scroll left we went on our way. I tossed 2 successfull dice at the Casket, hoping to draw out some
of his, and he let them go. I managed 1 wound on the Thunderers. I decided to gamble and throw only 4 dice at a boosted
Smiting and managed to get it right on the nose. This caused the last scroll to come out. Once more I gambled and went
with a boosted Protection and got lucky here as well. Bad luck kept stalking the poor Dwarves and even with 6 dice failed
to dispel. I think there were 3 1's rolled and nothing higher than a 4. With that I raised back 4 models back into the 2nd
Warrior unit and 3 into the King's. This also dismayed my opponent when he found out the Champion would be the first thing
to come back.

Shooting for once had a great turn. Between the 2 Stalker units I managed a wonderful 30 hits which I think were divided
14 and 16. The Master Rune proved to be just out of range. With this I killed everything in the unit but the Champion and
Standard. I was hoping for this kind of result so I wouldn't have to deal with a solitary Lord running around ruining my
day.

Combat saw the Necro Sphinx crush the crew of the Organ Gun. Likewise the Scorpions finished off their respective targets.
With the 5+ Ward save in place combat in the center was even more dull this turn. Both units only scoring a handful of
kills each. Once more I lost combat by 1 and again nothing happened thanks to my BSB.

Dwarf turn 4:

In a surprising turn of events the Dwarf player didn't charge anything and instead started to make a B-line for the
Casket. Which having the bottom of the turn and 3 turns to get there I can see being somewhat beneficial.

The Thunderers now turned their attention to the Tomb Scorpion nearest them and put 2 wounds on it.

Combat got very interesting this turn. There were only 5 wounds done on both side but I got tired of having the Dwarf
player being able to steal and generate so I directed a fair amount of attacks on him after my King had done his job
and more or less evened up the wound count. In the end it was 2 killing blow attacks from my Herald that did him in, but
not until he saved one of them with a Parry save. This time it was a drawn combat.

Tomb King Turn 5:

I moved all units up as much as I could and prepared to deal the finishing blows onto the units next turn. I moved one
unit of Stalkers up behind the Lord's Hammerers and now prevented him from changing his mind and going into the important
combat. This allowed me to move up the 2nd unit of Warriors and place them into a position where I could flank next turn
if given the change to get off a Desert Wind. I also moved the High Priest into a better position so that I could get at
least the Necro Sphinx and the 2nd unit of Warriors at once with a casting of Desert Wind. I also moved the remaining unit
of Stalkers closer to the house so I could Gaze the Thunderers.

Winds of Magic finally failed me when I rolled a 3, 2 right after killing the Runesmith. Luckily for me I rolled a 2 for
the Casket so at least I had 7 to his 3 instead of 6 to 5. After measuring everything out I had to change plans. I was
hoping to cast a regular Desert Wind and a regular Protection and Smiting. As it turned out I had to cast a boosted
Desert Wind. In order to do this I cast regular Smiting on the King's Warriors with 2 dice which was dispelled. This made
me use 4 dice to securely cast Desert Winds. Having only 1 die left I tried a regular Protection and failed. This allowed
me to reform my other unit of Warriors for a 100% flanking chance next turn. This helped raise my other unit of Warriors
back a few models.

I only gazed with 1 unit of Stalkers, the one facing the Thunderers. I didn't want to roll well again and give the Dwarf
Lord free reign to do whatever the hell he wanted. This gave me enough hits to turn 7 Dwarves to sand.

Combat was once again stagnant. At this point his Longbeards were starting to look a bit poorly and so were his Hammerers.

Dwarf Turn 5:

The Dwarf Lord's unit moved closer to the Casket and would have a long charge on it next turn.

The Thunderers would put one more wound on the Scorpion to down it.

Combat once more saw very little happen and all three units were starting to look a tad bit thin.

Tomb King Turn 6:

My 2nd unit of Warriors charged, the Necro Sphinx charged the Hammerers, as did the remaining Scorpion on a long charge.

Winds of Magic blew decent and I got a 4,3. I also got 2 on the Casket. I tossed 5 dice at Smiting and even after a 4 dice
attempted dispel I managed to cast it with a boosted effort on everything. With no dice left I tossed 4 more dice at
Protection and got it. After this I raised 7 models back to my King's Warrior unit. I don't remember how many to the
other unit of Warriors.

Shooting saw Gazes kill off the Lord's Hammerer unit and 1 wound to the Lord. The Thunderers were reduced to 1 model. He
of course passed panic test.

Combat this time go very very messy for the Dwarves. I can't really remember exactly how it all went down but in the end
both units on the Dwarf side were reduced to nothing. The BSB, as it should be expected after all his terrible rolls, that
the BSB stuck on a 1,1.

Dwarf Turn 6:

The Lord instead, being a lone infantry model now, charged the Stalkers.

The Thunderer pot shotted and put 1 wound on the Stalkers facing him.

Combat saw that the Lord slapped the Stalkers around for 5 wounds and none in return. With the Stalkers out of range of
my BSB with a grand total of 6 combat res, the Stalkers disappeared. Being smart the Dwarf BSB challenged and to ensure
that I wouldn't lose anything I accepted with my Lord. In the end nothing happened of import with my King taking 1 wound.
"Like never before will the weaker race of men tremble before our might."

Lord Yeurl to his captain before a battle in the Old World.

R4V3N wrote:do not question eldacar.

his word is law.