Miasma's 2013 Tournament Reports

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Miasma
Warrior

Miasma's 2013 Tournament Reports

Post by Miasma »

In an attempt to get my playing back up to speed following my car crash I thought that I would start up a thread documenting my progress in the tournaments that I attend throughout the year.

Part of this challenge to myself is that I made a resolution to myself that I would stick with one list (yes that is right 1 list) that would take on all comers in all 2013 tournaments.

So I guess that the first part of this thread should be detailing my list and explaining my choices.

Dreadlord - 240
Executioner's Axe, Blood Armour, Potion of Speed

Supreme Sorceress - 370 pts
Level 4, Lore of Metal, Dark Pegasus, Focus Familiar, Pendant of Khaeleth

Death Hag - 200 pts
Cauldron of Blood

Death Hag - 150 pts
Battle Standard Bearer, Banner of Hag Graef

30 Corsairs - 350 pts
Additional Hand Weapons, Full Command, Sea Serpent Standard

6 Dark Riders - 139 pts
Repeater Crossbow, Musician

6 Dark Riders - 139 pts
Repeater Crossbow, Musician

5 Harpies - 55 pts

5 Harpies - 55 pts

28 Executioners - 354 pts
Musician, Standard Bearer

18 Black Guard - 294 pts
Full Command, Banner of Murder

9 Shades - 153 pts
Additional Hand Weapons

I just can't find myself taking a level 4 as my general, especially since I do tend to throw her into harms way when I need to save something, reckless yet has got me out of a few scrapes and not massively backfired (yet) I have also found through a few trial and error games that I do tend to do best with an army composition that has a fair amount of chaff to throw about.

So Tournament 1. Saturday Slaughter - Rawdon, Uk
7/8 Players, 1 Day, Battle Line only, no special terrain

I had a blast playing against some of my regular friends and ended up taking 2nd place, not too shabby since I couldn't remember many of the rules and the fact that I had to drive myself for the first time since my crash so was a little jittery.

Game 1 Versus Skaven
Loss

It all went wrong from the start, turn 1 he managed to cast Dreaded 13th (IF) on my Black Guard turning them ALL into clan rats, this was then followed up with an IF Plague that wiped out most of my Corsairs, Executioners and Dark Riders literally moving from right to left, by turn 3 I had been tabled. No pictures its not really worth reading, his dice were hot, mine were not.

Game 2 Versus Brets
Win

Game 3 Versus Skaven
Win

Game 4 Versus Orcs and Goblins
Draw

It's worth noting that although I lost the first game versus Skaven in the first round his opponent then had to leave for a family related issue so was drafted back into the knock out phases as the other players had already left and I fancied getting some more games in so stuck around to see if anyone wanted an extra game or two, which was lucky as I managed a win in the rematch.

I'm writing up the battle reports for the following three games in my usual manner with pictures and after game discussions
2013 Tournament Results

W-L-D
2-1-1
Miasma
Warrior

Post by Miasma »

Game 2 Versus Bretonnians

His List

Lord - 221 pts
Barded Warhorse, Sword of Swift Slaying, Armour of Agilulf, Virtue of Heroism

Prophetess of the Lady - 285 pts
Level 4, Lore of Life, Prayer Icon of Quenelles, Crown of Command

Paladin - 121 pts
Battle Standard Bearer, Grail Vow, Enchanted Shield, Tress of Isoulde, Virtue of Empathy

Damsel of the Lady - 140 pts
Warhorse, Level 2, Lore of Beasts, Dispel Scroll

38 Men-at-Arms - 205 pts
Musician, Standard Bearer

8 Knights of the Realm - 231 pts
Full Command, Standard of Discipline

8 Knights of the Realm - 226 pts
Full Command, Banner of Chalons

5 Mounted Yeomen - 87 pts
Shields, Musician

5 Mounted Yeomen - 87 pts
Shields, Musician

3 Pegasus Knights - 165 pts
Gallant

10 Questing Knights - 322 pts
Full Command, Banner of Swiftness

5 Grail Knights - 230 pts
Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame

Field Trebuchet - 90 pts

Field Trebuchet - 90 pts

Rolling for Magic he received

Level 4 - Earth Blood, Flesh to Stone, Regrowth and Dwellers
Level 2 - Wildform, Curse of Anraheir

Whilst I rolled

Enchanted Blades, Glittering Robe, Transmutation of Lead and Final Transmutation

reserved for further details
2013 Tournament Results

W-L-D
2-1-1
Gwii2510
Shade

Post by Gwii2510 »

Ouch... Though way to start.

Looking forward to the rest of your reports, enjoyed reading the first ones :)
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave! Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave!
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Miasma's 2013 Tournament Reports

Post by Setomidor »

Looking forward to reading more!

I run a Lord similar to yours, but I have the Luck Stone instead of Potion of Speed. So far, I've never faced something faster than myself that didn't have ASF so I've never needed to strike Quicker. :)

some questions:
- No Cloak/Shield on your Lord? I find the extra 9 points for +1/+2 (against shooting) to be quite useful, as you then have to score one less wound before reaching 1+AS.
- How is the Lvl4 Metal working out for you?
- Same for the Pegasus Sorc Lord, how is she faring? I would be genuinely scared of units like Gutter Runners suddenly emerging and killing her with low S shooting.

Looking forward to the rest, and welcome back!

//Seto
Miasma
Warrior

Post by Miasma »

I run my Lord in the Executioner block and have yet to have him sniped. The level 4 I typically hide in terrain so that warmachines, gutter runners etc cant take her out, this is part of the reason for focus familiar so she can.still get LOS for the spells I need.
Metal is a great utility lore and has been working well so far.
2013 Tournament Results

W-L-D
2-1-1
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Miasma wrote:I run my Lord in the Executioner block...

Unfortunately, you can't have your Dreadlord in a khainite unit. You can do the opposite though (A khainite character in a normal unit).

Other than that, good results. The loss against the Skaven is something that should happen to most dark elf lists.... a good skaven list will defeat almost all troop based elf lists.
Last edited by Omnichron on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

I've been running a similar S.Sorc except with dark lore. And I have added the dragon egg, for extra flying damage. But she is quite resilient. As for death snipers, I just keep her out of range, with a 20" fly, it's not difficult.
But I have metal on levle 2, as it is a nice lore if not using shadow.
Also known as Kanadian
Miasma
Warrior

Post by Miasma »

Omnichron wrote:
Miasma wrote:I run my Lord in the Executioner block...

Unfortunately, you can't have your Dreadlord in a khainite unit. You can do the opposite though (A khainite character in a normal unit).

Other than that, good results. The loss against the Skaven is something that should happen to most dark elf lists.... a good skaven list will defeat almost all troop based elf lists.

Apologies I mis typed (damn phone small screen *grumble*) I run my Dreadlord with my BSB in the Black Guard unit when she's not needed to give the Executioners ASF to cancel their ASL.
2013 Tournament Results

W-L-D
2-1-1
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Ah, that sounds more like it. You like to switch around between the two units with the BSB then? I'd think it would be safer with the ASF banner on the standard bearer BG... would get more points of other things then :)
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Miasma
Warrior

Post by Miasma »

I do like my bsb to make a dash from one unit to another when I really need my executioners to hit first or at the same time as other units. Playing games again has definately given me insights into how i'd like to tweak the list. Anyways bad calls and will post Bret game tommorow (physio is a bugger)
2013 Tournament Results

W-L-D
2-1-1
Atanatari165
Shade

Post by Atanatari165 »

What was the comp pack at Saturday Slaughter?
Zenith
Noble

Post by Zenith »

Miasma wrote:I do like my bsb to make a dash from one unit to another when I really need my executioners to hit first or at the same time as other units. Playing games again has definately given me insights into how i'd like to tweak the list. Anyways bad calls and will post Bret game tommorow (physio is a bugger)

The best with your physio, I guess the beastmaster won't take it easy on you?

I'm very interested your insights and your list tweaking.