dead by round 1

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Faustus5000
Warrior

dead by round 1

Post by Faustus5000 »

Just played a 3000 pt game last night against the Tomb Kings and had what was probably the worse 1st round in years. In turn 1 he goes first and cast a vortex spell on my 10 Dark Riders and kills 3 of them, taking them below the 25%. I proceed to fail both leadership tests, I was within range of my BSB, and then flee right through my RBX unit with my lvl 2 Sorc and then off the board. I then take my required leadership test with the RBX/Sorc unit and proceed to fail both of them but they don't run off the board. Then on my turn I then proceed to fail BOTH leadership tests again and can't rally them as they run off the board. That’s a total of SIX leadership tests that I can’t roll below and eight!!!! Then on my first magic phase after spending four dice to cast Pit of Shades he uses a feedback scroll. Normally I don't fear these things but I then proceed to roll 3x5 and 1x2, so there goes my lvl 4 SS and I'm magicless in turn 1!!!!!! Without any magic for the rest of the game it was pretty much going through the motions. I conceded by turn 3. Dice are just part of the game so I usually don't gripe much when I have bad rolls but this was one for the record books in my experience. I was just curious if anyone else had a memorable horrendous round 1 where your pretty much killed right out of the gate?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: dead by round 1

Post by Daeron »

Oh.. perhaps a tiny bit less disastrous. Or at least the disaster was spread over 3 rounds.

Dwarves vs Dark Elves
Terrain: opponent won the roll
Deployment: opponent won the roll
Scouts: opponent won the roll
Turn: opponent won the roll
48" table, for a 2200 point table, with a third of my deployment zone taken up by impassable terrain. The terrain narrowed the field, so I was forced to "stack" my units and turtle them through a narrow pass, which had 100% clearance for his gunline.

By turn 2:
- (turn 1) 10 shots at my DR unit on a 4+, 3+, 6+. He kills all 5. The other DR unit panicks and moves to the front of my Corsair Horde. They rally in my turn, only to block my horde unit. Nothing I could do a thing about: I didn't have any place to put them elsewhere :D
- 4 hits on 4 shots from the bolt thrower
- 38 hits from 4 shots on the organ gun
- 1 failed sir look out roll, with a failed ward save and more than 2 wounds so my COK BSB was gone
- I tried 1 spell in turn 1: Winds of magic yields me 4 dice, which fail a 94% chance to succeed spell
- I tried 1 spell in turn 2: Wind of magic yields me 6 dice, which fails a 90% chance to succeed spell
His quarrelers didn't perform out of the ordinary, but the combination of his luck, my bad luck, his above and beyond terrain advantage (he was shooting fish in a barrel with dynamite), my "surely you must be joking you even want to play this" terrain disadvantage made it a loss before turn 1, which I had the courage to play out till turn 3 where all my troops (in total 11 models were left) hit his ranks and died in combat. I ran them into combat for the joke of it.
At some point he moved miners. That's all he did.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Wouldn't you mind to copy/paste your experiences in the existing thread?
Worst battles you've ever played
that would remain for the record. 8)
With all my sympathy.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Yah would be a more appropriate place for it to share sympathies with haha.

And hey, goes to show, sticking close to the general and not relying on magic is a good idea ;)
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Wow. It reminds me of a game in an older edition when I had my biggest and most important unit (with general in it) get hit by a screaming skull catapult, take 1 wound, and flee off the table before I even got to move. Just have to laugh when that happens to you.

Tomb Kings are a lower tier army in most respects, but they actually have game against Dark Elves. Never had it that rough against them in this edition though ...
Truly These are the End Times ...
Atanatari165
Shade

Post by Atanatari165 »

1000 pts vs. WoC. I had L2 fire in a very deep unit of spears, knights, hydra, harpies (no BSB). Turn 1 he casts Piercing Bolts of Burning or whatever on my spears, a spell I had heretofore dismissed as sub-par. Well I had like 8 ranks so it did a massive amount of damage and the spears panicked. In the shooting phase he then drops a hellcannon shot right on my knights killing half of them. On my turn 1 my spears fail to rally and run off the board...taking my sorc with them.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

This aint even made up. I started collecting my army for warhammer fantasy in january, and played my very first game against my good friend who plays HE. It was a 1k game in which I had kinda tailored my army to face HE: many ranged units, and some spears to hold him up should he charge. He wins turn 1, I prevent his magic from doing anything. My turn one: My lvl 2 fire sorc uses 3 dice to cast flaming sword of rhuin on my shades to lay down the pain. She gets IF, the miscast takes out 5 crossbowmen taking the unit below 25%. I fail the ld, but had banner of reroll (since I had 5 points to spare). I fail that as well, and the sorc and entire crossbow unit flee off the table. Spearmen panic, I fail their ld too and they flee off the table... That left me with 5 dark riders and 6 shades with an assassin... We called it good game :P
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Holy crap! That's funny.

Makes me think back to my fastest tournament victory. In a previous edition (I don't remember which), I was facing off in a tournament against Vampire player. Back then, flyers could charge 24", and my opponent had his general on a Flying Nightmare. I was playing Lizards and baited my opponent by putting a unit of skink (not saurus) cold one riders right up on the edge of my deployment zone, and my opponent took the bait, charging first turn. I had a skink hero in there who was tooled up defensively--1+ armor save and 2 ward saves (legal back then). The vampire general couldn't hurt my little skink hero in a challenge, and I killed the general in return (won by 5 due to rank, banner and war banner). My opponent's army started crumbling before I even took a turn, and he quickly surrendered. He was pretty pissed ...
Truly These are the End Times ...