Druchii.net 1st Universal Battles Tournament Rules Pack

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Druchii.net 1st Universal Battles Tournament Rules Pack

Post by Amboadine »

Army list composition

The following armies are permitted;

- Beastmen
- Bretonnia
- Chaos Dwarfs
- Daemons of Chaos
- Dark Elves
- Dwarfs
- High Elves
- Lizardmen
- Ogre Kingdoms
- Orcs and Goblins
- Skaven
- The Empire
- Tomb Kings
- Warriors of Chaos
- Wood Elves
- Vampire Counts

Limits and exceptions
- 2,500 points limit
- No special characters permitted
- New units (excluding characters) introduced in the End Times books are permitted
- New units (excluding characters) introduced in Tamurkhan are permitted.
- No End Times factions permitted
- No allies

Composition
- Minimum of 3 units
- Minimum of 1 character that can be the army general
- Maximum of 50% of points spent on lords
- Maximum of 50% of points spent on heroes
- Minimum of 25% of points spent on core units
- Maximum of 50% of points spent on special units
- Maximum of 25% of points spent on rare choices

Magic Phase & Items
- Lore of Undeath is permitted
- End Times magic rules are not used
- Maximum 12 power dice per phase
- Storm of Magic items and spells are not used
- Fozzrik’s Folding Fortress may not be taken

General information
- Current rulebook and GW FAQ and errata used, no additional sources
- Units that are fleeing or reduced below 25% of their starting size on the end of the battle yield 50% of their points
- Games will be 6 turns or if a player concedes, in which case the victor wins 20-0
- Map will be provided by TO.
- All scenery is non magical.

Line of Sight

Simple Line of Site will be used instead of True Line of Sight as defined below, this is purely due to playing in a 2D format (replication of ETC 2015 rules):

Terrain pieces are divided into ones that:
- Block LoS: Hills, Buildings and impassable terrain.
- Don't block LoS: all other terrain.
Exception - Ponds/Water: Does not block LoS, players should agree beforehand whether the body of water is impassable or not.

Unit is considered to be in hard cover when:
- Majority of unit's footprint is obscured from shooter's Line of Sight by one or more Interfering Unit(s) or LOS blocking terrain(s), as described on page 41 BRB
- Unit is garrisoning a Building, as described on page 127 BRB
- Majority of unit's front rank is defending an obstacle, as described on page 122 BRB. If the unit is being shot from the flank or the rear, treat the corresponding file or the last rank, respectively, as the front rank
- Majority of unit's footprint is in Ruins

Unit is considered to be in soft cover when:
- Majority of unit's footprint is in or behind woods, as described on page 119 BRB

Models shooting from hills or buildings don't get the hard cover penalty for shooting through interfering units, unless interfering the unit is also on hill.

Units with majority of its models on hill do not receive hard cover for being shot at through interfering units, unless that part of the units which interferes is also on hill. Units with majority of its models on hill do not receive hard cover for being partially obscured from the shooter's LoS by the same hill they are on

Large Targets can't claim cover for obstacles, ruins and interfering units, unless interfering unit is also a Large Target. Large Targets which shoot don't suffer any penalties for interfering units, unless interfering unit is also a Large Target.

Scenarios and scoring

Each pair will be assigned one of the following six scenarios randomly generated by the organiser at the time of the draw. Both players must agree on the final score, any disputes should be sent for adjudication with a screenshot and summary notes from both players to the organiser.

The player named first in the draw will be expected to submit the result to the organiser unless agreed with the opponent. Please also feel free to post battle reports on Druchii.net.

In each battle, points are divided between the two players. Up to 16 points are divided based on victory points where 1 battle point = 200 victory points difference. Then up to 4 further points are awarded for scenario objectives as described below.

VP differences

0-200 VP – 8-8
201-400 VP – 9-7
401-600 VP – 10-6
601-800 VP – 11-5
801-1000 VP – 12-4
1001-1200 VP – 13-3
1201-1400 VP – 14-2
1401-1600 VP - 15-1
1601+ VP - 16-0

1. Blood and glory
Deployment and fortitude as per rulebook. You gain two battle points for breaking your opponent first, one for killing his general, one for preserving your own.

2. Dawn attack
Deployment as per rulebook with the following exception: you are allowed not to roll for any of your units and deploy it wherever you like. However, this unit is then worth 100 points more. Characters may join such a unit for no additional penalty if they have the same rule type (Flyer /Scout/Fast Cav). You gain two points for killing more fast units than your opponent and two more points for preserving more than your opponent, if number of units destroyed or remaining are equal, assign a single point to each player in each case. A fast unit is defined as a ‘Flyer’ or a unit designated with ‘Fast cavalry’, ‘Skirmisher’ or ‘Scout’ rules.

3. Table quarters
Deployment as per battleline. The table gets divided in four quarters of the same size. At the end of the game you count all non character units in each of the quarters. The players who has more units in a quarter gets one point, a unit with a banner counts as two. In the case of an equal number of units in a quarter the player with the most banners will gain the point, if this is still equal assign half a point each . A unit cannot occupy two quarters at the same time - the players have to decide simultaneously in which quarter their units actually are before counting begins.

4. Sacking the camp
Deployment as per battleline. At the end of the sixth turn, you count how many ranks each player has in the opponent's deployment zone. Characters are ignored (they can beef up the number of ranks of a unit though), incomplete ranks are ignored, if there is a unit with less than one rank remaining (or a lone monster for example) it counts as 0.5 ranks.
The scoring is then as follows:
If both players have the same number of ranks in the enemy deployment zone: each gets 2 scenario points
If a player has at least one rank more: 3 points for him, 1 for the opponent
If a player has at least three ranks and at the same time he has more than twice as many ranks as his opponent: 4 points for him, nothing for the opponent

5. Arch Enemy
Deployment as per blood and glory. Each player nominates two units or characters of his opponent. Those units will then be worth one scenario point each for the player who kills or preserves them.

6. King of the Hill
Deployment as in battleline. A hill must be deployed in the centre of the battlefield and the centre of this hill will be marked by a dot, this should be the centre point of the map. The player who has an unengaged unit (not a lone character) on the dot at the end of turn 6 earns four scenario points if the unit has a banner and at least a rank and three points otherwise. If no player has a unit standing exactly on the dot or if this unit is engaged in melee combat both players earn two scenario points.

Participation

Please be respectful to your opponent at all times. If you feel that you have been unfairly treated or insulted, then please report immediately to the organiser with screenshots.

Communication should always be in English unless both players agree to use a different tongue.

Lose of Internet connection or no show
If someone loses internet connection during the game or does not appear at the agreed time, the opponent will wait for an hour. If the member does not turn up or cannot retrieve the connection the game is forfeit and a 20-0 result registered. This is to prevent bad sportsmanship and logging off when losing and making excuses about connection later. An hour should be enough to go to the nearest public wi-fi after all. The opponent is allowed to be exceptionally kind and offer a rematch of course. Please inform the organiser if this is the case regardless.

If two players find out they are unable to match their schedules they are to contact the organisers. There is a potential that a member on the reserve list will be available to compete. If no options are available then both players will be awarded 10 points, this is only available once or at the discretion of the organisers, further misses will result in 0 points being awarded.

If a pair would be able to fight their battle within a week after the deadline they should contact the organizer and they might be given an exception on discretion. Otherwise, if the battle is not played, both players will be awarded 10 points [or 0] as described in the previous paragraph.

If someone's opponent falls silent and ceases to be accessible via PM this then you should inform the organizer. He will try to contact this opponent himself and if this fails as well, the player without an opponent wins 20-0. The opponent that ceased to respond will then be excluded from other pairings until he shows up again.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Druchii.net 1st Universal Battles Tournament Rules Pack

Post by Amboadine »

I am adding a further amendment. With the likelihood of a 9th edition in May and the final round of the tournament scheduled for June, this tournament will continue with the current 8th edition rule set until completion.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I have one question to date. This was in regards to which base size to represent Pegasi on.
I am going to rule 50mm, as this is the currently supplied base for Morathi.
Dark reaper
Highborn

Post by Dark reaper »

I know that the ETC have ruled it the other way, 40x40. This is apparently due to the fact that all other pegasi come on 40x40 bases. I suspect that it might partially be a balancing solution so that two Pegs and a lord on steed can't fill up the front rank of a Dark Rider unit.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Dark reaper wrote:I know that the ETC have ruled it the other way, 40x40. This is apparently due to the fact that all other pegasi come on 40x40 bases. I suspect that it might partially be a balancing solution so that two Pegs and a lord on steed can't fill up the front rank of a Dark Rider unit.

This is where I fundamentally disagree with them. If the only Dark elf pegasus is currently on a 50mm base. This is what I am going with.
I see their point however but as this is uncomped people should be able to counter.

Perhaps for future tournaments I might adopt the comp system. But I would need to fully investigate all the different comp systems and decide. I generally play uncomped so am not aware of all the little nuances.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Do we submit lists or something?
Also known as Kanadian
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Yeah. PM the list to Amboadine, and also post in the appropriate thread once you've done so. He'll later edit our posts I believe.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Dark reaper
Highborn

Post by Dark reaper »

Amboadine wrote:
Dark reaper wrote:I know that the ETC have ruled it the other way, 40x40. This is apparently due to the fact that all other pegasi come on 40x40 bases. I suspect that it might partially be a balancing solution so that two Pegs and a lord on steed can't fill up the front rank of a Dark Rider unit.

This is where I fundamentally disagree with them. If the only Dark elf pegasus is currently on a 50mm base. This is what I am going with.
I see their point however but as this is uncomped people should be able to counter.

Perhaps for future tournaments I might adopt the comp system. But I would need to fully investigate all the different comp systems and decide. I generally play uncomped so am not aware of all the little nuances.

Yeah, I think your interpretation is at least as valid, I just wanted to point out that it is a much debated issue. It is actually quite important as well, because it determines whether your pegs can land in cavalry or infantry units as normal.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Question regarding scenery. Am I to understand we roll d6+4 random pieces of mystical terrain from page 142 in the BRB? Or do we roll d6+4, and take turns placing a piece of terrain on the board? A bit of clarification here please, especially on the mystical terrain. While I understand its part of the game, terrain that might randomly crap my army just adds that, randomness, to the game.

In addition. Having to keep tabs on all the different terrain during game turns will make the games take a lot longer, RL time wise. Players from different time zones will be even harder pressed for time.

And last:
5. Arch Enemy
Deployment as per blood and glory. Each player nominates two units or characters of his opponent. Those units will then be worth one scenario point each for the player who kills or preserves them.

Are these nominations open or closed, and if open, who nominates first? If closed - how do we prevent 'creative redesign' (not that anyone here would dream of being a cuttthroat of course). Are the units nominated before or after deployment/scout/vanguard?
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Thraundil wrote:Yeah. PM the list to Amboadine, and also post in the appropriate thread once you've done so. He'll later edit our posts I believe.

Correct.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Thraundil wrote:Question regarding scenery. Am I to understand we roll d6+4 random pieces of mystical terrain from page 142 in the BRB? Or do we roll d6+4, and take turns placing a piece of terrain on the board? A bit of clarification here please, especially on the mystical terrain. While I understand its part of the game, terrain that might randomly crap my army just adds that, randomness, to the game.

In addition. Having to keep tabs on all the different terrain during game turns will make the games take a lot longer, RL time wise. Players from different time zones will be even harder pressed for time.

I think whilst the initial intention was to roll randomly, I think in the consideration of time and to simplify the game it would not be too much extra work for me to add the board layout for each match up at the time of the draw. This would mean that the first person drawn would be responsible for replicating as closely as possible the scenery when setting up the game.

Then both players will choose sides on the highest D6 roll.

And last:
5. Arch Enemy

Are these nominations open or closed, and if open, who nominates first? If closed - how do we prevent 'creative redesign' (not that anyone here would dream of being a cutthroat of course). Are the units nominated before or after deployment/scout/vanguard?

So I will suggest these are open nominations. Declared pre deployment with the highest roll of a D6 choosing whether to declare first or second.

Please feel free to comment if you see any issues. I am open to discussions.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

1) Awesome if you have time to set up the maps! Are the terrain pieces mystical or mundane, though, is the real core thing :p

2) Open nominations add several layers of strategy, whereas closed adds mostly guesswork (sometimes the units will be obvious, other times not :P )
I like open nominations before deployment. Deployment will then feature an aspect of playing for several battle points from the get go.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I will keep the terrain places mundane to save the time and management of additional complexity.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Now that I'm preparing, I do have a question coming up. Can summoned units claim table objectives, from quarters, king of the hill spots, count towards the unit being in the enemy deployment etc?
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Daeron wrote:Now that I'm preparing, I do have a question coming up. Can summoned units claim table objectives, from quarters, king of the hill spots, count towards the unit being in the enemy deployment etc?

Excellent question. Let me consider and research and come back with a response this evening.

Edit. So looking through all the rule books I could think of that might relate, I couldn't really find a definitive answer. However as summoned units do not give up victory points, I am therefore under the opinion that they should not therefore be a countable unit for the purposes of claiming any of the scenario points for enemy deployment zones or quarters. However I think for King of the hill whilst not being able to claim the VP themselves for being on the centre point, that they should count for the purpose of determining whether a unit is engaged or not.

Hope that makes sense.
Please note if anyone can find an official GW ruling on this please post the details.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Amboadine wrote:Line of Sight

Is water/pond considered impassable yet doesn't block LoS? That would seem logical, but I'd like to make sure as RAW contradicts this :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Daeron wrote:
Amboadine wrote:Line of Sight

Is water/pond considered impassable yet doesn't block LoS? That would seem logical, but I'd like to make sure as RAW contradicts this :)

Damn those ETC rules. :)

Yes, your logic is correct in my opinion. Unless of course there are some rather large waves on that water.

I will update the rules post accordingly.
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

I think the same rules as for a river should be used. Water is water. :) This means no marching through it, no steadfast and rank bonus inside and no cover.
Cihan
Corsair

Post by Cihan »

Marchosias wrote:I think the same rules as for a river should be used. Water is water. :) This means no marching through it, no steadfast and rank bonus inside and no cover.

Im with Marchosias here. Why would it be impassable? Its not an ocean, its just a pond. You should possibly decide beforehand wheter that specific kind of water is some sort of deep water or just a shallow pond. And I personally think we should be treating all water just as shallow water.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Sorry, you are correct. I was focused on blocking LoS.

So, water does not block LoS and players should agree prior to the start whether the body of water is impassable or can be traversed. I will leave that discussion to the individuals, but I think in general treating as shallow water is a good idea.

Will edit post accordingly.
Watz
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Watz »

2 quick questions regarding the rules:

If bodies of water are rivers or impassable terrain is decided by the players before the start of the match. Is that correct?

And how is the final ruling about summoned units counting for scenario objectives? Esp. concerning the table quarters scenario. !conf!
With only 2 standards I was kinda counting on those summons, so knowing if they work or not would be helpful.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Watz wrote:2 quick questions regarding the rules:

If bodies of water are rivers or impassable terrain is decided by the players before the start of the match. Is that correct?

And how is the final ruling about summoned units counting for scenario objectives? Esp. concerning the table quarters scenario. !conf!
With only 2 standards I was kinda counting on those summons, so knowing if they work or not would be helpful.

So for the first question. Correct.

For the second, here is the response I posted early.

Excellent question. Let me consider and research and come back with a response this evening.

Edit. So looking through all the rule books I could think of that might relate, I couldn't really find a definitive answer. However as summoned units do not give up victory points, I am therefore under the opinion that they should not therefore be a countable unit for the purposes of claiming any of the scenario points for enemy deployment zones or quarters. However I think for King of the hill whilst not being able to claim the VP themselves for being on the centre point, that they should count for the purpose of determining whether a unit is engaged or not.