The Witch King's Army vs Warriors of Chaos 2000pts

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lord Zarox
Trainee Warrior

The Witch King's Army vs Warriors of Chaos 2000pts

Post by Lord Zarox »

So I played against a relatively strong warriors of chaos list today with my Malekith list. We were actually running armies with very similar playstyles - both fast, tough and hard hitting. Here is battle report:

Dark Elves vs Warriors of Chaos 2000pt battle

Malekith on Seraphon
Master BSB—full mundane, halberd, dragonhelm, luckstone, ironcurse
Steedmaster—lance, full mundane, CoT
24x Bleakswords (BSB here)—full command, SoDiscipline
14x Darkshards—musician
5x Dark Riders—shields, xbows
2x Cold one chariots
5x Warlocks

Daemon Prince of Slannesh—lvl 4
Exalted hero of tzeentch BSB on daemonic mount (with the stupid 3++)
Chaos chariot of nurgle
Chaos chariot of nurgle
18x chaos warriors of nurgle
Chimera
3x Skullcrushers
3x Skullcrushers

Deployement goes something like this:

[warlocks] [chariot] [bleakswords] [chariot] [xbows] [Malekith] [dark riders] [master]

[nurgle chariot] [skullcrushers] [daemon prince] [warriors] [chimera] [exalted hero] [nurgle chariot] [skullcrushers]

Magic generation:
Malekith rolls up Word of Pain, shroud of despair, soul stealer, black horror
The daemon prince generates a selection of nasty slanneshi spells, including the terrifying 6 spell!

Turn 1: vanguarders vanguard up cautiously so as to be out of reasonable charge range
All chaos units advance as far forward as possible, with the chimera and daemon prince. Magic sees the daemon prince blast the swords with d6 s4 hits, killing 4, but I pass my leadership check to see if I receive more hits. Malekith dispels everything else. No shooting or combat to speak of.
Cold one chariot 1 charges the chimera—better than taking a charge. Dark elf fast cav gets in behind all the chaos units to cause annoyance. Swords turn to face the chimera and daemon prince. Malekith flies into the centre of the battlefield to face the warrior block and a chaos chariot. Malekith gets off a soul stealer in the magic phase attempting to bulk up on wounds...and the template scatters off the warrior block. He then MISCASTS when attempting to cast black horror on 3 dice! Kills TWO chaos warriors, then rolls up dimensional cascade on the miscast chart…’this was going to be a short battle’, I thought. Luckily Malekith avoids being sucked into the warp. In combat the chariot chips two wounds off the chimera after doing 7 impact hits! In return the chariot goes down to 1 wound.

Turn 2:
Skullcrushers charge the xbows who manage to knock two wounds off a skullcrusher by standing and shooting! Swords take a flank charge from the exalted hero and the chariot (a mistake on my part). The other chariot and skullcrushers slug across the board towards the action. Daemon prince lines up for a charge on malekith. Magic was over quickly as the daemon prince fails to cast cacophonic choir...by 1! Phew! In combat, skullcrushers munch the xbows and overrun, and the chimera finishes off the chariot.
Steed master charges the chariot fighting my swords in the rear, and my own chariot hits the same one in the flank. Warlocks rear charge the warriors who have turned to face malekith whilst malekith hits the front. Dark riders cutch up behind the skullcrushers on the edge of the board preventing them from moving backwards. Malekith attempts to cast word of pain on the warriors on 4 dice…and MISCASTS. Again. And rolls dimensional cascade. Again. But luckily cheats death a second time, as the blast kills 4 chaos warriors! Between malekith and the warlocks, the warriors are left with one guy...who passes his break test on snake eyes! Not good when there’s a daemon prince right behind Malekith...Meanwhile, combat with the swords ends up with the chariot dying and dark elves winning on combat res. The exalted hero flees and is caught by the chariot!

Turn 3:
The Daemon prince charges Malekith in the rear whilst the skullcrusher and chariot who have yet to see combat move closer to the central fighting. Other skullcrushers can only shuffle sideways, not having enough movement to wheel all the way around (meaning the edge hangs over the board) and get back onto the board. Chimera flies behind the swords an unleashes its breath weapon, killing 7. Malekith dispels the daemon’s second attempt at choir, then punishes the daemon with d6 s6 hits, dealing a wound. In combat, the daemon prince lands a single on malekith—which proves to be enough to fell the witch king, having already taken 2 wounds from miscasts! The dragon strikes back, dealing 2 wounds on the daemon prince, leaving it on one wound. The warlocks finish off the remaining chaos warrior.
Here I hatch a plan to slay the chimera. I move the swords as far forward as possible, to the other side of the daemon/dragon combat from the skullcrushers, inviting a rear charge from the chimera. Warlocks move around to face the front of the swords so as to hold the chimera if it attempts to pursue the swords when it inevitably wins combat. Meanwhile, the master and chariot line up for a charge counter charge on the chimera if it charges the swords. With malekith dead, warlocks throw 6 dice into a bubble soulblight, which the daemon fails to dispel. In combat, the daemon knock 2 wounds on the dragon, leaving on 3. The dragon...fails to land A SINGLE HIT on the daemon…

Turn 4
The chimera takes the bait and rear charges the swords. The skullcrushers and chariot who still haven't seen combat get into charge range. The skullcrushers on the edge of the board continue to shuffle a bit but still face the wrong direction. Magic: the daemon prince...once again fails to cast cacophonic choir, missing out by 1 :P The dragon finally wrecks the daemon prince, whilst the chimera chomps down two ranks of swords, who then flee and are run down. The chimera hits the warlocks as planned…
CoT master and chariot hit the chimera in the rear and flank respectively, whilst dragon flies behind the remaining chaos chariot, ready for a charge. Dark riders position themselves in front of the skullcrushers (who still haven’t entered combat) at an angle to take their overrun away from the chimera combat. Magic doesn't happen as I forget entirely, but at this point doesn't make a difference. The chimera is finally slain, and my units turn to face the skullcrushers and remaining chariot.

Turn 5:
Chariot fails to charge my warlocks. Skullcrushers charge the dark riders as expected and the other skullcrusher unit finally managed to turn around. Dark riders get slaughtered and skullcrushers overrun outside the front of my master and chariot.
Master and chariot have to waste a turn preparing to charge the skullcrushers next turn, meanwhile Seraphon and warlocks charge the nurgle chariot, breaking and chasing it down.

At this point my opponent conceded the game. He was left with 2 units of skullcrushers in each other’s way on the edge of the board, about to get to get charged by my steedmaster and chariot. On top of that I was left with seraphon and 5 warlocks. Overall it was a very funny battle, with magic failing for both sides—Malekith with his incessant miscasts, and the daemon being unable to get off a single ‘choir’. There were a lot of gruelling combats, most of which I were able to win by concentrating a lot of force onto a single unit (despite awful hitting rolls throughout the game). In the end, the battle could have gone either way based on whether the daemon prince could get its magic off; a fate I escaped by the skin of my teeth!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: The Witch King's Army vs Warriors of Chaos 2000pts

Post by Calisson »

Enjoyable battle, enjoyable report!
Thanks
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

A win is a win, even by the skin of your teeth. Nice report.
Lord Zarox
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lord Zarox »

Had another battle recently, this time against lizarmen. My opponent was running the following:

Slaan mage priest lvl4 loremaster of high

Scar vet cowboy - great wep, 1+/4++
Scar vet cowboy - great wep, 1+/4++

30 saurus
10 skink skirmishers
10 skink skirmishers

26 temple guard (slaan here)
5 chameleons
5 chameleons

Salamander
Salamander

I can't remember what happened turn by turn, but here are the highlights for each of my units:

Malekith:
- survived having life blasted out of him for 2 turns by the slaan mage priest, the supreme spellshield really kicking into play
- failed a charge on temple guard on triple 1s...I needed a 3 to make the charge
- casted soul stealer on 3 dice whilst on 1 wounds, getting a direct hit, dealing 3 wounds...then gaining back NONE - then dies from the miscast
- seraphon (with help from CoT master) wrecked a whole unit of temple guard + slaan despite having a scar vet in the rear, but is stuck on the spot after failing his monster reaction test

CoT master - failed to kill a slaan over 3 combats after a rear charge but ran it down after breaking from thr dragon

Master BSB + swords - were pinned for pretty much the entire game by a scar vet, which killed the bsb and many, many swords

Dark riders - died pathetically on turn 2 by a face full of poisoned javelins

Xbows - sat in a building all game and shot stuff up, killing a few skinks and stuff

Cold one chariots - one chariot failed 2 consecurive charge attempts - one on the saurus block, the other on the temple guard the turn Malekith charged in - each time missing out by 1! The same chariot was charged by the saurus block and actually held for 3 combats! The second chariot attempted to flank the scar ver in combat with my swords...and was quickly dipatched of

Warlocks - attempted a combo charge with malekith on the saurus; malekith failed the charge (this was before failing the charge om the temple guard) and the warlocks hit the front of the saurus alone and were slaughtered...

Once again a highly entertaining battle (sorry I couldn't give a turn by turn). In the end i was left with a riderless seraphon, CoT master, about 15 swords in combat with the scar vet on 1 wound, and a chariot left on 2 wounds. Meanwhile the lizards were left with said scar vet, most of his skirmishers, both salamanders and half a unit of saurus. The most frustrating thing was not getting my charges in, and Malekith - once again - proving to be very good at miscasting! Based solely on victory points it worked out to be a draw, if not a minor victory to Malekith.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Lord Zarox wrote:Malekith:
- survived having life blasted out of him for 2 turns by the slaan mage priest, the supreme spellshield really kicking into play

Should have taken Uber-Malekith and tooled those frogs!
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Lord Zarox
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lord Zarox »

Haha! I think I preferred Malekith when he was the bad-ass Witch King of Naggaroth, but I do need to try out his insane new rules!