Druchii.net UB Tournament 15 First Round Draw

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

ChrispyC
Slave on the Altar

Re: Druchii.net UB Tournament 15 First Round Draw

Post by ChrispyC »

I feel I am getting way too much credit here, I will readily admit I am quite...raw when it comes to competitive matches and especially with this list :P

I look forward to a good match with KillerK though, as well as seeing the rest of the matches and how things pan out :D
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

Just a quick but very important question, if a Dark elf is attacking a frost phoenix, eagle or star dragon, does he get rerolls to hit from his Hatred: High Elves? I assume this is the case, I just want to be sure. :)
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Marchosias wrote:Just a quick but very important question, if a Dark elf is attacking a frost phoenix, eagle or star dragon, does he get rerolls to hit from his Hatred: High Elves? I assume this is the case, I just want to be sure. :)

Ah this discussion. As far as I know it as never been officially FAQ'ed and has been argued both ways across many platforms.
For the sake of this tournament I am ruling that if it is in the High Elf army list then the rerolls for DE:Hatred apply.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I see Amboadine replied quicker than me.

It's a heavily debated topic indeed.

http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=73126
A debate here concluded "yes" to re-roll against frost phoenixes (and any unit from the book) since "Hatred (High Elves)" is hatred against an army / faction, not a 'race' (Elf).
However, I'm not sure Ulthuan.net agrees with this ruling :D
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=67209

Both sites went through the trouble of checking out other FAQs and Tournaments.
http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=74783
This was my research on it. However, Ulthuan's equivalent of this:
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=63297
does not speak about this.

In summary:
- ETC rules it does not grant re-rolls against the Phoenixes.
- Dnet's FAQ ruling is "yes".
- Ulthuan has mixed feelings about it.

It should be up to the TO :P
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Whilst I can see the argument from both sides, I honestly find the ETC ruling a little stupid on this very matter.

My best argument is a directly applicable mirror example from the Dwarf army book. Dwarfs have the Hatred (Orcs & Goblins) and Hatred (Skaven) special rules, and they then clarify this with the following sentence: this means any unit taken from Warhammer: Orcs & Goblins or Skaven.

Judging from this, Hatred (High Elves) must mean hatred towards any unit taken from Warhammer: High Elves.

The only counter argument I can see is that "duuh its a different army book". But the Dwarf Army book clearly and concisely defines the meaning of Hatred (specific race), so as far as I'm concerned this should be the ruling. I still don't get how the ETC came to their ruling.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

Thanks for the clarification, this is the ruling I was expecting and I like the most (well, not in this particular case but oh well :D ).

So, I am going to throw in some more predictions so we can laugh how bad my anticipations were:

Battle 1 - I am somewhat surprised about the draw, I would think Cihan should emerge victorious given how much board control he has. I suppose he found out he had lots of board control but not enough means to actually kill the big nasties out there. :)

Battle 2 - Here I expect a big win for Thraundil. First, I know him as a solid player while I know nothing about Knighted. :) Second, Knighted has a limited use for his magic in this matchup. Sure, dwellers can be deadly and doombolts are always nice to have but I feel Thraundil's magic will be far more dangerous. Searing dooms and arcane unforgings on peg masters, soul quenches on everything else; besides, his pegasus characters will get pounded with waywatcher fire all game. Knighted has a chance to score serious points if he sticks his units in combats but how is he going to cope with the wild riders? His masters should probably be able to survive a charge and slowly grind them down but nothing else.

Battle 3 - a big win for KillerK. First, he is quite good, probably the best player from the participants as far as I can tell. Second, as I have explained earlier, his mobility allows him to concentrate an extreme amount of force to a single spot. Sure, BOTWD protected lions could be a pain but how is ChrispyC going to force him to attack them?

Battle 4 - hopefully you won't consider it too rude if I keep my thoughts for myself. :)

Battle 5 - Hard to assess what impact the lore of undead will have. A well placed unit of hexwraiths can surely ruin some plans. I think Daeron might be able to clear the various speed bumps quite quickly (chariot and lone heroes) and proceed to destroy warmachines. The question is, even if he manages this, what next? Can some of his units, even with a BWS in there, break the savages? I would fear not. And whittling them down with shooting and magic might be too slow because new undead units will be emerging each turn. So I think Daeron might win if he will be able to come up with some kind of quick and decisive attack and execute it flawlessly. Otherwise, I fear he will get bogged in the undead and slowly whittled down. So my prediction is a win for Watz (though not a massacre).

Your opinion might of course differ greatly. Feel free to call me a brainless shuffler who understands nothing. :)
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

What I think these assessments have failed to consider are the scenario points. The first match result was swung by these.
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

Not really:
- Knighted has nothing that can hold the centre against a wild rider charge; in addition, I expect Thraundil to win decisively so he will have no problems with claiming the hill with something
- KillerK has lots and lots of units to claim the table quarters. Contrary to this, ChrispyC will (according to my expectations) soon have nothing besides his two big blocks. Thus, scenario points will go to the guy I expect to win on VPs as well.
- Watz can claim table quarters with summoned units. True, his rate of summoning might be too low so in this case, Daeron might be able to claim all four quarters and swing the result towards a draw this way.
- and I am not going to count banners analyzing a battle that had already happened. :)
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Thanks for the confidence guys, but I haven't played in a while, had only 1 game with that list and... not very happy with it, the list has a huge huge flaw, I was not aware of upon creating it, I wanted to make a death star out of the heroes, and knights, but disc have a M1 value, making it unusable.
Also my army is built with ETC comp, so not only is it 2400, it doesn't have all the nastiness it could normal have.

And I get a tough match up (good thing I like a challenge), I'm just hoping that my experience will allow me to get an interesting game, and not get tabled in turn 3 :(.

As to predictions of other games, I was assessing all the lists. And all of them look solid, with interesting possibilities. The worst thing is there is only 1 list I'm not very concerned about. And that is Marky's DE. I think it my list is well equipped to handle a stationary army. But he does have things you guys need to worry about, so I guess he wont loose any sleep over this.
Also known as Kanadian
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

I like Marchosias' predictions way more (at least with respect to my own match) ;)
I have typed up my thoughts about my match and saved it as a draft, it will be posted following the conclusion of the game along with a writeup. I hope I'll manage to take screenshots along the way at least, and make this interesting for the whole forum :)

A little bit of taunting is in order also: I've played 5 warmup games vs random guys on UB. One i lost due to a silly 3+ ward / reroll 1's chaos disc lord and double chimera where I failed to do anything with shooting, and I lost arcane unforging to a level draining miscast on turn 1. But the other 4 games I've won convincingly! Prepare to meet wooden doom!

Is there any way to "cancel" a movement on UB, such as ctrl+z, in order to bring the unit to its start position (if, for example, you move it wildly inaccurate and not in accordance with any kind of rules)
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

No there isnt.

But a common practice, is add a new unit place over the old one, and make you test moves, once you have a final position, place old unit over new, and delete the new one.
Also known as Kanadian
Knighted
Trainee Warrior

Post by Knighted »

On UB, I usually just use a little star to mark the back corner of the tray, then go apeshit with my fast cav moves.

I'm really excited for my game on Sunday with Thraundil. I can tell that some of the other folks talking about the matchup don't understand the crux of how my list will operate.

I guess I'm a bit unknown here, so maybe a bit of a player profile is in order. I used to be pretty good at Warhammer. Last year, I placed 5th at the US Masters with Warriors of Chaos. After that, I switched to Dark Elves. I won a GT early in the year with the Delfs, but I haven't put the practice time in recently to be a really good player. My two wonderful children (4 months and 2 years) have really thinned down my gaming time. ;)
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Those are some pretty good credentials to be fair :)
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

@ Knighted: Well, extreme statements mean more fun when they go wrong! :D But you are still about to get tabled. :D Anyway, I hope there will be a report as I fear I will be unable to watch.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Yikes! The higher the pride, the further the fall ;)
I look forward to seeing your list in action. What I do fear is that I will have to deploy pretty much blindly; your entire army will be able to redeploy before the game starts, so there's that. A lot will be decided, I feel, during the first few game turns. In the scenario, getting the first turn could end up being a huge disadvantage! I content myself with the fact that your shooting is rather limited :)

As a little bonus for you... I will be playing a 3-game tournament on the day of our game so I'll be all fired up and ready to go ;)
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Watz and I will probably have our match this Saturday at 9pm Central European Time. We'll keep you posted if that changes.

As for my prediction on the match: I'll probably lose, by quite a margin... The more I study Watz's list, the more I'm convinced I brought way too soft a list :D But thats fine! And I'm working on a strategy that might just make it a challenge for him :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Knighted
Trainee Warrior

Post by Knighted »

Man, this is going to be fun. I'm happy that all the matchups seem to be between great folks.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Hey
Now I know where I recognize that nick form, the WoC forum! your missing that avatar of yours.

Now that I made that connection, I have a favourite for first place ;).
Also known as Kanadian
Knighted
Trainee Warrior

Post by Knighted »

Oh, how negligent of me! Thanks for the heads up on my avatar. :)

There we go, all fixed. My Wake Forest University representation is now complete. ;)
Cihan
Corsair

Post by Cihan »

For those guys who didnt see the score from my first game (Cihan vs Khadeorn), it was a 10-10. I feel like we both played a good game with minor faults, but the scenario gave me a huge disadvantage. My list doesnt have a lot of units with Standarts and with a breaking point of 3 and 4 points overall, I am auto-losing the game after I lose either my General, my BSB or my Witches. While all of those units itself are quite strong and kitted well (atleast I think so), concentrating on one of them and finishing the game right there is a real problem for me. I gained almost double the points of Khadeorn, but due to the scenario rules I lost anyway. I have to be better prepared for the scenario rules. That wont happen to me a second time :).

Despite the slightly annoying outcome (I had hoped to gain more points), it was a fun experience. Khadeorn is a great guy and I am looking forward to have more cool matches like that. Thumbs up, Khadeorn and well played too, Sir 8].
Watz
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Watz »

Regarding my match with Daeron I really can't say how it will end. While I really like my list for this tournament, I am not sure if I have enough experience yet with my greenskins - or lore of undeath for that matter. But the idea of orcish necrolytes summoning "da bonez" really intrigues me. I just hope people won't put money on me and then blame me for loosing it :mrgreen:

Lets just root for a very interesting and entertaining match :)
Knighted
Trainee Warrior

Post by Knighted »

I put all the UB Maps into a Google Drive folder for you guys to just download and then load on UB. Link is here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Good luck!
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Knighted wrote:I put all the UB Maps into a Google Drive folder for you guys to just download and then load on UB. Link is here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Good luck!

Thank you very much :)
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

So, our match has been fought out successfully in a good spirit. I hope there will be a report in short order; for now I will reveal that the game was basically over by turn 3. :)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Oouch :P
Why do I suddenly fear a similar fate for me? Man I'm nervous about tomorrow's match!

- The stiff breeze