6th edition Vs. previous editions

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

6th edition Vs. previous editions

Post by Zentaricai »

I've only started playing War Hammer with 6th edition, but it seems to me that we (the Druchii) had some pretty cool tactics, monsters and special abilities in prior additions....

Is that true? Are we less powerful in the 6th edition??

The revision is great, but I just read something about a Dark Rider additional move that sounded so cool that I had to ask the question????
DON'T MONKEY WITH MY BUSINESS
Swedenpack
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Swedenpack »

many things was overpowed in 5th ed.

if you want monsters, may I precent you to the Emperor Dragon;
WS8, S8, T8 and 9 attaks.

the SDC's had wardsave

Witches had S4

COK and A.Corsairs culd be armed whit rxb

Cityguard...

The list is long, get a hold of the 5th ed book and take a look, its a good read. I promiss.
Last edited by Swedenpack on Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marriage is the only war where you sleep with the enemy.
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Well, it could be said that everyone is less powerful in some way to what it was like in 5th. I didn't play much in 5th (and then badly - come to think of it, I played more 4th ed, and worse then ;) ) so I'm not the best to say I don't think. Certainly, things were quite different for DE in that there could be a lot differet magic and there were some interesting special rules for certain units (dark riders being the most notable for special rules). Overall, I'd be tempted to say that this edition is much more balanced than 5th, and that's a good thing. :)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zentaricai »

Emperor Dragon???

HOLY $HIT!!!!!!
Swedenpack

Post by Swedenpack »

and you have not seen the stats for the old manticore, have you? ;)
Drasanil
Dru Perim

Post by Drasanil »

5th eddition was the grand old days where magic was magic and druchii had real monsters not the pitifull cannon magnets we have now :evil: Gosh I sure do miss 5th edd :(
The truth behind the Sundering:
Rork wrote:High Elf: "I'm not fat!"
Dark Elf: "Of course you're not, dear. You've just grown lazy and indolent and wrecked the inheritance for our children!"
High Elf: "I want a divorce."
Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

I kind of agree with Vorch. I LIKE the idea that a simple bowman does have the ability, albeit slight, of nailing a dragon.

It keeps the uber lord character in perspective.
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

Ach, 4-5 ed that was the times!
But seriously.
In times of 4-5 ed, especially in 5th when new HE book arrived, DE were relatively weak as an army. Same as now i remember.
But there were few lighter points.
The magic was a lot better, becouse there was acces to all "lores", and each lore had 10 spells. Ther was a list of magic items for all races and only few were race specific.
Monsters, same situation, there were only few race specific monsters, the monsters were chosen from general list - DE characters could ride Hippogriphs, Giant Spiders.
Hydra was really stronger. Execs had S4, and DRs... They had wonderful special rules as free move, fire and flee, born in saddle...ehhh. And then came 5th ed HE army book (DR Abook didnt changed during 4-5 ed) and this *****n Reavers get the same spec rules. And their archers could fire from two ranks, and their spearmen could fight in three (imagine bow and spear armed Lothern Sea Guard).
There was cityguard, options for rxb for corsairs and coks (useless, but...) SDC had 5+ save unmodified by strength...
Yeah there were 3 kinds of Dragons of five colors i remember. It was a possibilty to DE character to ride White Dragon for example. There was emparor dragon - the biggest, then the medium dragon and small dragonk. Emparor dragon was a truly monster. Ot had 8 or 9 wounds and attacks. Breath, depending of dragon colour, was really dangerous. But there was a cool magic sword Sword Of Dragon Slaying...ehhhh.
The book was full of fluff...
But the models were worse and there were serious gaps in model range (no execs, hydra only oop from 3 ed, no scouts only oop from 3 ed, no specific command groups, no Dark Riders untill Horn Of Isha campaign release etc.)

Lot of anger i see here...
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Iraduur nightfrost
Noble

Post by Iraduur nightfrost »

And we had Witchelf heroes! Real Witchelf characters, not just champions! Witchelves had S4 due to their poison and frenzy doubled the attacks, not just added one!
And of course there was not the Dividing into core, special, rare. You could simply chose wi(t)ch unit to take!
But the previous editions had altogether the problem, that there were always some charakters available, that could destroy whole armies on their own. :(
Behold the might of the witchking!
Asterion
Beastmaster

Post by Asterion »

everybody could ride anything in 5th edition :)
If a man hasn't found something to die for, he isn't fit to live.
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

Not mention that assasins were better (had poisoned attacks = D3 wounds) and cheaper. And WElf Heroines od course!
Seraphlaw
Druchii Archangel

Post by Seraphlaw »

magic items back then was better too...
Seraphlaw

"HA! What damage can a DRUCHII do?" - Famous Last Words
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

I've almost forgot!
Scouts (Shades) had BS 5!
Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zentaricai »

Wow!!!

Guess the revision was justified!
Malachi
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Malachi »

IF anyone has or knows anyone with any old editions of the DE books, please PM me. I would be more than willing to offer a good price.
Heno
Assassin

Post by Heno »

What kind of black guard did 5th ed have?
What should I write here?
Schattenklinge
Beastmaster
Location: Scouting... witchelves lockerroom, hope they don´t notice me. NO, damn, let´s get out of here!

Post by Schattenklinge »

they had +1 I, -1 Ld and were able to choose a magic banner... for 15 pts/model THEY have realy improved...

I never played 5 th ed but the book is very intersessting... even its ugly that DE eat HE... *urg* :roll:

I dont think they taste very well... ;)
Dalamar wrote:Also, Dark Elf answer to Phoenix Guard are Crossbowmen. lots and lots of crossbowmen ;)
Iraduur nightfrost
Noble

Black Guard was a good unit with ability to stand against nearly any opponent due to their high WS and due to Halberds S4 they were good in hacking anyone!

@Schattenklinge: Where does it say, DE actually eat HE? Despite Witchelves eating the hearts of their victims?

But back then DE were superior to HE in melee combat, because of hatred. Nowadays HE have so many special rules, that they hack'n'slay our units. Witches are not allowed to get beaten by mere Spearelves! That is so wrong!!! :cry:
Schattenklinge
Beastmaster
Location: Scouting... witchelves lockerroom, hope they don´t notice me. NO, damn, let´s get out of here!

Post by Schattenklinge »

@Schattenklinge: Where does it say, DE actually eat HE? Despite Witchelves eating the hearts of their victims?

well ok maybe only WE do it

in german ed. i read it on page 28 (i think) with that witchelve info text stands that they eat flesh of their victims... they als dance all the night NAKED :shock: i wish i were there :cry: (not as slave of course)
Dalamar wrote:Also, Dark Elf answer to Phoenix Guard are Crossbowmen. lots and lots of crossbowmen ;)
Iraduur nightfrost
Noble

Schattenklinge wrote:

well ok maybe only WE do it

in german ed. i read it on page 28 (i think) with that witchelve info text stands that they eat flesh of their victims... they als dance all the night NAKED :shock: i wish i were there :cry: (not as slave of course)

I read that again, but no, they only drink blood and tear their victims apart and break their bones. The Hags then rip out the Hearts of the unfortunate living victims, driving their Sisters into extasy. then its bathing time, then disco! !lol!

What you mean is a ritual that the Witches do in this very special night once a year(not xmas). There they eat flesh and drink blooded wine.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Executioners and Black Guard have both improved over their 5th ed. versions.

In 5th ed., Executioners had strength 4 and did d3 wounds, but always struck last even when charging, were more expensive, and didn't have killing blow.

Black Guard were not stubborn and were therefore far too expensive for what they did.

Witch Elves had poison that made them strength 4 but only had a 4 weapon skill. They were better in 5th ed.

Dark Riders had a special "fire and flee" chrage reaction that combined a stand-and-shoot with a flee reaction, and also got to make a free march move at the beginning of the game before either player took their turn. You could easily be charging on your first turn.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Swedenpack

Post by Swedenpack »

remember the "expert horsmen" rule DR had, that was sweet, no peneltys for riding and shooting.
Iraduur nightfrost
Noble

Dyvim Tvar wrote: In 5th ed., Executioners had strength 4 and did d3 wounds, but always struck last even when charging, were more expensive, and didn't have killing blow.

No. Due to their twohand-axes they had S6! :shock:

And they didn't lack Killing Blow as these special abilities were not invented in 5th ed.