Spiking a Hellcannon?

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kida
Undercover Asrai

Spiking a Hellcannon?

Post by Kida »

Although it might seem a bit strange to be able to do so, there is nothing in the rules prohibiting spiking (charging an abandoned warmachine and thus destroying it) a Hellcannon.

Some people have claimed that it can't be done ('cause it is Demonic, has its own attacks, fights as a mixed unit), but it is still treated as a Warmachine. The way I see it, if you succed in charging it and survive until the end of combat, you destroy it.

What do you think?

my Last.fm page in case anyone is interested...
Dy
Executioner

Post by Dy »

I was thinking the same, and also didn't find anything about that. It's to read better (and may be with some interpretation...) the description of Hellcannon. :shock:
Keep your soul alive... while awaiting for me.
Errdrigar
Highborn

Post by Errdrigar »

Lol. That's an interesting point of view. But I think it wasn't intended to work that way. It's just another gap in the rules. IMO Hellcannon should fight until it's destroyed by normal hits. That's why it has 'Unbreakable' in the rules.
Asger
Highborn

Post by Asger »

This is one of the few instances where the intention is so blindingly obvious that even the designers missed.

I can't imagine anyone playing it like that in a friendly game, and anyone doing so in a tournament game should expect to get really, really low sports.

Asger
100% grumpiest in the universe!

Have you heard about the most ambitious Warhammer project attempted to date? For details, check the ETC homepage; www.abfab.net
Death on a stick
Highborn

Post by Death on a stick »

the crew are easy to kill then watch it rampage hell cannons are too costly and crap.

two turns of shooting from two RTBs
eg
24 shots hit on 3s (large target)
17 hits
6 on crew
3 wounds all the crew dead and 270 pts wasted
Death is the only true certainty in life
Kida
Undercover Asrai

Post by Kida »

Death on a stick wrote:3 wounds all the crew dead and 270 pts wasted

Not true. For a Hellcannon, you score only half points (135+half of the gifts) for killing all the crew. Check SoC Q&A.

my Last.fm page in case anyone is interested...
Death on a stick
Highborn

Post by Death on a stick »

By wasted I ment that it cant do the job they wanted it to and so the points are watsted on that unit rather than having another more effective one.
Death is the only true certainty in life
Sir_turalyon
Shade

Post by Sir_turalyon »

Not true. For a Hellcannon, you score only half points (135+half of the gifts) for killing all the crew. Check SoC Q&A.

Right, but other 135 + gifts points stops fighting against you, and starts rampaging in enemy deloyment. So from opponents point of view, whole 270 points is lost (and half alive to cause him trouble).
We must destroy them. We must incinerate them. Village after village, army after army, dragon after dragon...

They teach our soldiers to decapitate slaves, but will not allow them to fight in three ranks because this is not cruel enough!
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

3 wounds all the crew dead and 270 pts wasted

Yeah but you have just spent 200pts worth of artillery for two turns firing at the worst target you could. Why not uses 90pts of baiting riders to do a similar job or some magic. + Why take 2 RBT, what a huge waste of points.

As for the thread, I guess you could interprate the rules that way, but as stated its clearly not how its meant to be, so I wouldn't think about it any more.
Pleased to be back
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

keep things on topic!! tactics and such do NOT belong here!