a stupid question

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Sepulveda
Corsair

a stupid question

Post by Sepulveda »

If I have a Dark Elf Noble in my army and i want to make him my battle standard carrying the war banner and he also has the upgrades sea dragon cloak and heavy armor, does that make his point total 105 points or 130 points? The concept of battle standards confuses me a little bit, i've read the entry in the main warhammer book, but i still don't really understand. If any one could be so kind as to tell me exactly what the point total will be, and what benefit he will grant my army, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Sepulveda

PS. I was thinking about mounting him in a chariot and taking another Noble with a sea dragon cloak, heavy armor and the seal of ghrond. One of them was going to sit in the chariot and the other would sit in the front rank of my 19 DE warriors. To me it doesn't seem to make much difference which does what, any suggestions on that front would also be appreciated. (the one with the seal of ghrond was going to be my army general)
Gorbad ironclaw
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gorbad ironclaw »

It's simple really. You take a basic noble and then pay to upgrade him to a BSB. After that you add the value of any equipment/magic item you give him.

Of the top my head I can't remember the point cost of him, but I can almost guarantee you that with the equipment you have given him, he is not going to cost 105 points(how did you get that?).

On the tactic. Put the BSB in the chariot. Better save and the unit can have a banner of there own. The chariot can't.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Consider the battle standard a sort of upgrade for your noble, like equipment. So take the basic noble cost, add in the cost to make him the battle standard bearer, then add in any equipment.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Darkadon
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Darkadon »

Noble [70] + Battle Standard [25] + War Banner [25] + SDC [6] + HA [4] = 130 pts. The Battle Standard gives you +1 combat resolution for having a banner, and +1 for the War Banner. So what ever unit he's in will get a +2 CR. In addition, any friendly unit within 12" gets to re-roll failed break tests. I think it's pretty clear in the book, I don't know how much clearer it needs to be on the part of GW. So purchasing the Battle Standard for the noble gives him the option of carrying a magic banner, I don't know how much clearer it needs to be.

As for what unit, BSB should be in the warriors around your main block of troops to give them the most benefit of re-rolling break tests. The other noble in the chariot should also have either a halberd or Great Weapon for the extra hitting power. Glad I could be of service :D .
Cheap GW minis

www.gc-minis.com
Gorbad ironclaw
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gorbad ironclaw »

Unpronounceable Symbol wrote: The Battle Standard gives you +1 combat resolution for having a banner, and +1 for the War Banner. So what ever unit he's in will get a +2 CR. .

You're wrong on this one. He will add +1 to any combat he is in because of the Warbanner, thats a permanent bonus. The +1 for having a banner will only actually apply if he is in a combat where there are no other Dark Elf banners involved.
Sepulveda
Corsair

Post by Sepulveda »

ok, sounds good. My 2nd noble is equipped with a halbred, i failed to mention that, for a point total of 109 points. The noble with the battle standard didn't actually have a war banner, or any other banner for that matter. I suppose my question was, can i just pay the 25 points to be a battle standard, get the +1 resolution bonus and re-roll break tests bonus for units within 12 inches and then not pay to have any specific banner. Judging by what you said, that seems to be ok, which would make my model cost 105 points, correct?
Darkadon
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Darkadon »

You 're wrong on this one. He will add +1 to any combat he is in because of the Warbanner, thats a permanent bonus. The +1 for having a banner will only actually apply if he is in a combat where there are no other Dark Elf banners involved.

I guess I should have pointed that one out, sorry :oops: .
Cheap GW minis

www.gc-minis.com
Jme
Corsair

Post by Jme »

Sepulveda wrote:ok, sounds good. My 2nd noble is equipped with a halbred, i failed to mention that, for a point total of 109 points. The noble with the battle standard didn't actually have a war banner, or any other banner for that matter. I suppose my question was, can i just pay the 25 points to be a battle standard, get the +1 resolution bonus and re-roll break tests bonus for units within 12 inches and then not pay to have any specific banner. Judging by what you said, that seems to be ok, which would make my model cost 105 points, correct?

Correct you don't have to buy a magic banner for the BSB.