The Slave Topic - All Slave Topics Go here

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

I made a topic last night about how I woul like to see slaves. It was well deserved locked for being misplaced. (damn me for posting when I desperately needed sleep and thus failed to pay attention to already existing posts)
Regardless I have been fiddling with it for a while and I actually really like the result.

Slaves.
4pts/model. 10+ models. 0-1 choice.
Counts as a Core choice but does not count towards the minimum core choice requirement.

Code: Select all

WS BS S T W I A Ld 
2  2  3 3 1 3 1 5

Weapon/armour: Pointy sticks, Rocks, Chains and similar(counts as hand weapons)
Special Rules:
Worthless:
Slaves are considered worthless and expendable so no Druchii will ever be effected by them fleeing or being destroyed. If they flee and it brings them into contact with any Druchii they are automaticly killed and that Druchii unit will not be capable to move in the first following movement phase(they are considered being busy slaugthering slaves)
Longing for Freedom: Being locked up in a Druchii prison for years is horrible beyond understanding. If an enemy unit with Unit Strenght of 5+ puts itself between the Slaves and the nearest Druchii unit the slaves must roll a Ld test and if successful they emidiately break and flees towards the nearest table edge. The slaves will only ever award victory points if broken this way and making it off the table alive.

Someone said something about having a Beastmaster Apprentice option that initially keeps the slaves in line. I myself though of something similar durring the time I spent making the unit but decided to not have such an option for 3 reasons.
1. It would boost their Ld or need an extra special rule to negate it.
2. I wanted the slaves to loose out heavily even against goblins and a Beastmaster Apprentice is too capable for them.
3. He would essentially be a regiment champion and as such be capable of taking part in chalenges.

Obviously I dont want this unit to perform very well apart from maybe a cheap screen for a more expensive unit. To prevent cluttering up this thread I would enjoy getting comments/feedback in PM form.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Lordofthenight
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lordofthenight »

I think your unit's too expensive for what it does. Sure it's just there to be a cheap unit - but it costs more than goblins do, while having less equipment/stats.

With the special rules as well, both of which are bad - why bother taking them? At ld5 they're likely to fail the ld test as soon as it's taken, and if they flee through a friendly unit, instead of a panic test (which would normally be passed anyways) the druchii unit automatically loses it's movement phase.
Punishment leads to Fear. Fear leads to Obedience. Obedience leads to Freedom. Therefore, Punishment leads to Freedom.

Kuyoz Nightkiller
WS: 4 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Repeater Crossbow, Short Sword, Shade Cloak, Light Armour
5 throwing daggers, 90gc
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

Well when putting together my slaves idea I considered the overall theme of the druchii both fluff wise and combat style. The ''high'' price and the 0-1 choice where both something I added to represent that slaves is expensive on a financial basis and not something a druchii general would be willing to use in abundance. Still 40 points for an ''Arrow Shield'' is much cheeper than the 65 pts wich is currently our cheapest choice. (and 10 slaves is a bigger shield than 5 harpies)
The statline is basicly pointless as I wanted to represent that the slaves are so broken down by their treatment that theres litterally no opponent they can take on and expect to win. (Meaning they must suck :P )

The Special Rules were considered for awhile and playtested (without ''0-1'' to test them extensively) and in line with the general way a Druchii general already plays its quite possible to use them as an effective shield and avoid them hitting ''friendly''(yeah right...) units once they flee.
If the slaves are bought just to buy them theyre worthless... Really... They are... But if you think outside the box they can be used with high efficiency and well worth their price.

I personally think they fit what I like most in the druchii playstyle: Its expensive and needs heavy planning to work (I dont want IWIN buttons I want fragile expensive units that forces me to be a tactician)

After I posted about them I ran into a test where 10 of them(40 pts) was the only optional target for half of a dwarven gunline(terain was in my favour :D ) and basicly they saved a CoK unit and a Exec unit from what half of a dwarven gunline does. They needed to cross open ground and I placed my slaves to take the heat. Yes my slave idea is highly optional but aint most of our army just that? Apart from DR's...
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Saint of m
Highborn

Post by Saint of m »

I actualy like this one. Even in Druchii fluf, they used drugged up slaves in one of their earlier raids (which is basicly Northern Muraders.)

DE are not above sending slaves out to fight, in the smae manner skaven are not aposed to it (better you then me!) hell even the Britonia's Mounted Yowmen and peasents are gloified slaves/meatsheilds. Other armies use their skirmishers .

THe only adjustments I could see is to have a Beastmaster diving them form the rear.

On a humorus level, you can add Protective meatvest/armor (all monsters, monsterous mounts, COldones, Hounds, Ghouls, and Ogersized moddles within 20" must chase after them!) They get eaten, you get a few potshots in from your spellcasters and your crossbowmen!
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

This is not exactly a slave thing, but it is inspired by that talk, and also by the story of Lord Yeurl releasing the slaves, Brilliant Leader of the Druchii that he was, he was!

Perhaps, as and when when we either break/purse/catch enemy units or charge fleeing units, we could have the option to force them to flee in a direction of our choosing? Then then, the enemy unit would be moved in the direction nominated as far as either their flee roll, or our pursuit roll (you'll run with us behind you, you dogs!). Then our unit would be formed up again - but not reformed as such - immediately behind their unit. I suppose that would mean we would count as attacking them in the rear.
This would of course mean not destroying them or gaining the victory points for doing so, though we would still capture any standards. Since we are so incredibly likely in the next Ed. to end up hating everyone, at least when forced to pursue we would still have options.

And if that seems a bit rough on the enemy, perhaps it could be something that only applies to Corsairs?

Eh?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

Wow this is a long thread.

Slaves are definetely on my wish list for Dark Elves army. What separates us from the goodly Elves is our disregard for all things undruchii.

Fluff pieces are sometimes silly... Of course you would be relucant to sacrifice slaves you just captured! They are healthy and haven't been paid for yet!

WHAT IF.... Every Dark Elf City had a Buy back program where you can turn in your old Broken down slaves for a small sum of cash? They City Masters could then Sacrifice these slaves to Khaine, Feed them to Harpies and Cold Ones... Make BowStrings form their sinew... whatever they want... Or use them as a Decoy or Distraction Troop In Battle. Skaven slaves are damned effective for this. So are Chaos Dwarf Slaves.

Proposed Slave Stats
M- 3 WS- 2 BS- 1 S- 3 T- 2 W- 1 I- 1 A- 1 LD - 7 Armor- None
Unit Size 5+

Equipment: Hand Weapon. Rock
Rules: High Elf, Wood Elf, Empire, Bretonia and Dwarf Armies must pass a leadership test if Engaging or Engaged by Slaves. If test is failed The Goodly men lack the heart to fight these wretched creatures and Cannot Stand and Shoot as a charge Reaction, and suffer a -1 WS and -1 Strength Penalty the duration of Combat.

Any Dark Elf Army wishing to have slaves must have a Beast Master character for every 2 units of slaves.

Slaves Are Stubborn.

Stupidity, Beasts

Throw Rocks Once per battle a Unit of Slaves may throw their Rocks. This is a Missile weapon with an 8" Range and Str 3. This may be done as a stand and shoot Reaction

Points Cost: 3 Points per model.

Fluff for the crappy stats... Burnt out slaves suck, they aren't very strong no matter what their parent race is, The shamble more than walk, they are sickly and slow moving in combat. This is why they no longer Servbe any use ot their masters and were herded Into bands and sent into the enamies. They Gain their stubborness from The promise of Freedom if they survive the battle and the promise of Punishment if they are captured fleeing. They Are Stupid Becuase they Are so broken down half of them have to constanly adjust their bandages, reposition their crutches or they are so malnourished that their thought process has become scattered.

Beasts is simple... One of the only things prodding them forward in battle is the whips over their shoulders.

Ok Enough for the fluff... Now for the Model... Easiest and most fun to field IMO would be Human slaves... Buy a Box of Zombies and paint them up with a slightly healthier appearance than a zombie should have. Stick a busted spear or Bit of wood in their hand for a crude weapon and Voila! Malnourished dregs. Could Also make Orc Slaves by Putting Orc heads on Chaos Marauder torso's to make them look skinnier.

Now for the Fun.....

Slave Champion. (every crowd of Rabblke must have a hero)

M-4 WS- 3 BS- 2 S- 3 T-3 W-1 I-1 A-2 LD-7 Armor 6/5

Equipment Handweapon, Rock, Shield
Points One SLave pe runit may be upgraded to a Champion at a cost of 15 Points.

Rules A unit of SLaves lead by a Champion has movement 4. so inspiring is his presence. If the champion is slain their movement returns to 3.

Fluff... This Guy Was Most Likely a Dark Elf Soldier who was imprisioned or indentured for many years. Right before his Sentence was up the Army called upon him to lead a band of slaves and if they hold out throught the battle he is promised his freedom and a return to his previous station and holdings. Likewise he could be a Healthy Human or other race slave who Has proven to be Loyal to his druchii masters in a scyophantic way and was promised citizenship in their Realm in exchange for his service in leading the others. (little does he know that his first duty as a new citizen will be as a sacrifice to Khaine after the battle)

Want Even MORE fun? Ok I was serious about the Slave and even a Unit Champion for them. Now I'm just being stupid.

Slave Hero (SPARTICUS!!!!)

M-4 WS-4 BS-3 S-3 T-3 W-2 I-3 A-3 LD-8

Broken Nag

M-6 WS-3 BS-0 S-3 T-3 W-1 I-1 A-1 LD-4

Equipment: Handweapon, Rock
May Be given Light Armor for 6pts, May Be given an additional Hand weapon or Shield for 4 Points, May be given a Halberd or Great weapon for 6 points. May Be mounted on a Broken Nag for +10 Points. If Mounted may have a spear for +4 Points. Slave Hero's May NOT be given any Magic Items whatsoever, They May Not be your Amry's standard bearer

Rules - Slave General, Units of Slaves May take leadership tests based on the Save Hero's leadership value. As long as one member of the slave unit has Line of sight of the hero regardless of his distance... Knowing he is alive and fighting is enough to inspire them. A Unit Joined By a Slave Hero is no longer subject to stupidity.

The Slave Hero May join units of Slaves but May not join units of any other type in the army.

An Army May only have 1 slave hero regardless of its Points Value.

Points 30

Fluff, A Champion Gladiator of Growing years the Slave Hero just wants to Get out, Fight one last time and Find death on the battle field rather than on a sacrificial altar or at the Hands of a younger more popular gladiator.
His fame as a Great Fighter is reknowned amongst the people and even the slaves have heard of him and speak highly of his prowess, often dreaming that he will break free his chains and lead the slaves in a bloody revolt or in some other way lead them to freedom. The Army leaders Help create the story that The Slave Hero has gained a promise of freedom for himself and all broken slaves who fight for him and a Small Craft capable of sailing across the seas to the Lands of the Empire. It is rare that a Gladiator is trusted with this honor and Returning Slave Hero's are indeed granted their Freedom if they survive the battle and it is a victory. They are given a grand feast, a Sturdy Sword and a Broken Nag and sent out of the gate sof their city. While their Men are returned to Bondage or the sacrificial altars. These men have obviously been twisted by their long years fighting for sport to amuse the Druchii and it pleases their masters immensley to watch them ride off (to most likely be eaten by wild beasts) while the screams of the newly sacrificed Slaves who once served him echo off the city walls.
Jokeripokeri
Slave on the Altar

Post by Jokeripokeri »

I read this thread quite a few times and decided to make my own suggestion for Slaves:

0-2 Slaves Points/model: 2

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
3 2 2 2 2 1 3 1 4

Unit size: 5-10

Equipment: Pointy sticks and blunt objects (count as Hand weapon).

Options:
● Any unit can be equipped with planks (count as shields) for +2 pts/model
● Can be upgraded to elven slaves (+1 pts/model). Elven slaves have +1 movement.
● Can be upgraded to orc slaves (+1 pts/model). Orc slaves have +1 toughness.
● Can be upgraded to dwarven slaves (+1 pts/model) Dwarven slaves have +1 leadership.
● Upgrade one slave to a lucky slave (+1 pts/model). A lucky slave has found a very sharp
object and so has Killing blow ability (this rule applies only to the lucky slave).

Slaves do not count towards the minimum number of Core units you must include
in your army.

ENSLAVED FIGHTERS:
One unit of Slaves can be upgraded to a unit of Enslaved fighters (+2pts per model). All
models in the unit have one extra Weapon skill, Ballistic skill, Strength, Initiative and
Leadership in their profile.

SPECIAL RULES:

Freedom or Death: If any other Dark elf unit is within 8” of the slave unit, the slave unit is
unbreakable. In a beginning of the controlling player’s movement phase, if no dark elf unit
is within 8” of the slave unit, the unit must pass a Leadership test. If the test is failed, the slaves
gain skirmish and break 2D6 towards the nearest table edge. If and when the unit is rallied,
the unit loses its skirmish.

Worthless: Dark elves don’t care about the slaves while having something to sunk their blades to.
If a unit of slaves is destroyed, no dark elf needs to take a panic test. If a fleeing slave unit runs into
an unit of dark elves, the unit is destroyed. Also, a slave unit awards no victory points.

Pity, Mercy and Regret: All attacks against slaves are resolved with -1 Strength. Only affects to High Elves, Wood Elves, Bretonnia, Empire, Dwarves and Dogs of War.

Throw Rocks: Once in shooting phase the slaves can throw stones. Place a large blast template
with its center directly 6” from the slaves first rank. Every unit under that template suffers a strength 2 hit. Units half under the template suffer a strength 1 hit. This may be done as a charge reaction, and cannot be used if engaged in combat.

Friends: If a unit of slaves has survived and hasn’t fled a single time after three turns, the slaves
gain an additional +1 Leadership.

I tried to make them a unit which is fun to play but still remains faithful to the Dark elves tactical side.
Mandavar bloodlust
Warrior

Post by Mandavar bloodlust »

IMO the DEs would not like the idea of having armed slaves in their army (I know there are some storys). and what would prevent the slaves to flee, surrender or turn around and fight their masters especially against armys of humans (Empire, Bretonnia). That would need a drug do that makes you attacking almost everything. And at least they are so slow I just wouldnt use them. But I wish for everyone who wants them to come out, they will.
Last edited by Mandavar bloodlust on Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Its not allowed to feed your Cold One with more than three High Elfes per day, (remember all the itzy bitzy things on their clothes, hair, and skin) to avoid sickness of your Cold One.
- Druchii Cold One Field Manual Chapter 3, Page 73.
Dam'rek
Shade

Post by Dam'rek »

Mandavar, you are absolutely correct. Slaves on the battlefield is a terrible idea. Do you guys honestly think that a Dark Elf Highborn would be saying "But Skaven do it so it's okay" to justify all his decisions?

Okay, so there was one point in history where we used drugged slaves as fodder during an attack, so many years ago. But I'm sure if you read through the Warhammer fluff, you'd notice a lot of situations which cannot be represented in a tournament battle. It's just another one of those.
I will bow to you on a carpet of bones. I will bathe you in the blood of nations and fill the air with the music of murdered innocents.
Lrnec
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lrnec »

I can't imagine why the slaves would fight for the DE anyway, you put them together in a unit they more than likely to charge your own line.

Now you could go the drugged slave path and have basically zombies in your army. Unbreakable/stupid/frenzy? ws 1 str 2 tou 2 kind of thing, relativly expensive for what the do because an unbreakable unit in a DE army would be very good.

Or you could treat them more like beasts such as the goblin squiq herders/hydra's. Unit of slaves controlled by beast masters at the back whipping them forwards. If all masters are slain d6 roll 1-3 slaves removed as casualities(scatter into the four winds) 4-6 Slaves turn on the masters, frenzied hatred move towards closest dark elf unit to fight them.

The rules for the slaves taking a leadership test or running if not close to a dark elf unit seem a bit daft as well, that implys that they wan't to stay and will stay if couragous enough. They should be bolting the first chance opportunity that no DE's are near to stop them(if not drugged).
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I like the suggestions for a new unit. IMO, it should be under command of a beastmaster, as it is clearly stated in the BM description.

The beastmaster should be in the unit when they are set on the table.
A special rule would allow him to stay on the rear of the slaves rather than on their front, where he controls best them. He can leave them at wish, like any hero joining or leaving any unit (if the forthcoming edition makes BM mere extensions of "monster" units, this rule vanishes).

They can be hit by both armies.

Whenever the slaves loose morale, they run away from the DE side, towards the enemy, for freedom. If they encounter any enemy unit >5, they are destroyed using standard rules (they disband). But, if ever they happen to join the opposite table side, they are freed and the opponent receives the value of the surviving slaves as bonus (in addition of the value of the "destroyed" unit).
Lord myki
Black Guard

Post by Lord myki »

I can only see slaves used as a supplement to the Cauldron of Blood. One Unit of 30 slaves shackled just in front of the cauldron. They absorb all missile fire directed at the cauldron before any guardians. When charged they receive the charge first. They can not flight back (because they are shackled); however, they are unbreakable (for same reason)! Their cost is 1 pt per model! In addition, one slave can be sacrificed to enhance the casting ability of any sorceress in the army. One Slave per Sorceress per magic phase! Make these slaves as a supplement option to the Cauldron of Blood!

Just a thought!
Mere death is but a blink of an eye,
Death by the Druchii is eternal!