Few questions about monsters in 7th ed.

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Skandalix
Assassin

Few questions about monsters in 7th ed.

Post by Skandalix »

1. A hero on foot joined Hydra unit. Hydra unit wants to charge a unit which is 12" away. Hydra has enogh move to charge but a hero don´t. What happens then?? Can a Hydra still charge?? Do they apart and just Hydra charges leaving hero behind?? Or the whole unit is not able to charge??

2. Let´s imagine Sorceress is in the Hydra unit... What her Arc of sight would look like?? She´s in skirmish unit so I believe 360 degree but have to make sure..

3. There´s a unit of archers on a hill. Hydra´s approaching. Can archers see over Large targets from the hill?? What about if Large target (let´s say Manticore) is hiding behind other Large target (Hydra)??

4. If not in combat, do Hydra have flanks or rear?? Is it a skirmish unit or they have just an ability to move like a skirmish unit?? If it´s a skirmish unit- are Apprentices placed in combat during Hydra´s charge only if they got into enemy, otherwise they stay behind??

5. Finally... Can Beastmaster wear Armour of Darkness or he cannot?? I´ve seen different opinions here on site. Can someone clarify this??
Don't regret the things you did... regret the things you didn't do!!

W:10/D:3/L:4
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

1) Only BMs can join a Hydra, and in that case the whole unit moves as fast as the slowest member, which is M5, so you would fail charge in that case.

2) She can't join a hydra.

3) I play that you can't ever see over a Large Target. They are infinitely tall, just like kills and Woods.

4) Yes they do. ee monster and Handler rules. You use the Hydra to determine all LOS based things.

5) No. Its now stated in the 7th ed book that you can't take a shield if you don't have a mundane option for it.
Pleased to be back
Garbod
Cold One Knight

Post by Garbod »

1. Firstly the charge is measured only from the hydra. After the Hydra is moved in it is then treated like a normal skirmish charge. So the number of models that can make it define the width of the contact with the charged unit. Any models that can't make it go in the back rank. However remember you are allowed to swap charecters, SB, Music, Champ for people in the front rank.

2. Edited: Cheers Ras. Didn't think the question could be ruled out that way

3. I normally say that something on a hill can see over everything except other terrian.... but that I think is a house rule as I can't find a rule to back it up!

4. For charging at and when charging with the unit the appretices are ignored and the hydra treated as a monster, so with flanks and rear. After the charge the apprentices are then ranked up like skirmishers!

Yep the unit moves as if a skirmish unit.

Also as an aside we think that you have to charge the hydra to allow the maxium number of apprentices to rank up.

5. The beastmaster question. The rule book is not specfic about item's of armour that include a shield. However it does say that charecters who can't have a shield can't have a magical one. Also remember that as we are in a new edition we can't really rely on the old FAQ's! So I would say we are back to the default position we assumed before the FAQ came out in last Ed- no he can't!!! :(
Garbod
Thinking MSU.... try a CoB
Banshee
Highborn
Location: I say go, she say yes, Dim the light, you can guess the rest!

Post by Banshee »

@Garbod: Have you read what Ras posted? Especially about 2) and 5)? Only BM can join Hydrae, no other characters. And have a closer look in your 7th ed. rule book - there you will find the correct answer wether a BM can take a magical shield, or not. (Ras already answered this correctly.)
Damnation wrote:And remember, every time you use excessive punctuation, a random brain lobe deactivates itself.
Cenyu wrote:Warhammer: Age of Reckoning: Introducing BOB ROSS as Malekith's new personal paint artist!
Garbod
Cold One Knight

Post by Garbod »

Actually I was typing while Ras was posting - so my post went up without reading Ras's. But I then edited answer 2 - probably as you were typing your reply.... ironic hey! Also not sure about Ras's slowest movement idea as in the driven beast piece it says that the other models are ignored!

To answer your point of Q5 I did read the rule book and it is not specfic to combined armour items. Just like the old rule book was not specfic and so we all asumed that he could not wear armour of darkness. But then GW FAQed it to change the interpretation!

Hence why I decided to leave my answer there as it offers an additional piece of information to Ras's answer. We both agree that the beastmaster at the moment can't wear armour of darkness but I am holding out that an FAQ my bring back the old interpretation!
I
Garbod
Banshee
Highborn
Location: I say go, she say yes, Dim the light, you can guess the rest!

Post by Banshee »

Garbod wrote:Actually I was typing while Ras was posting - so my post went up without reading Ras's.
Ah, okay. As you were posting half an hour after Ras had posted I didn't think of that. Sorry for being so harsh. :D
Damnation wrote:And remember, every time you use excessive punctuation, a random brain lobe deactivates itself.
Cenyu wrote:Warhammer: Age of Reckoning: Introducing BOB ROSS as Malekith's new personal paint artist!
Garbod
Cold One Knight

Post by Garbod »

Yeah I got interuppted by a phone call!

Not to worry :D
Garbod
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

on topic please