Newbie seeking help.

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Balthamael
Cold One Knight

Newbie seeking help.

Post by Balthamael »

Hi, everybody.
I'm a new player that has just learnt how to play and I want to build up a Dark Elf Army. There's regular matches and Tournaments at my local GW shop and for this purpose I'd need to build a 2000 points army. I've studied the rules and the DE Army book, but there are a few things I didn't understand or I felt was unclear. (Yes, I've looked at FAQs too.) I don't have any close friends that play the game at this point to ask about these things. I guess I could seek out some of the players that play at my local GW shop, but I felt like giving this place a try. The answers to these questions are probably completely obvious for you guys, but keep in mind I'm completely new at this.

Can I equip my Noble with an Additional Hand Weapon (4 pts) AND give him a Hydra Blade (50 pts) for a total of 4+D3 attacks or would the Hydra Blade prevent me from giving him two hand weapons?

In the DE Army book (Dark Art section) it is mentioned that a Dark Elf magic user adds +1 to all casting rolls. This is however not mentioned in my army list under Sorceresses or High Sorceresses. Would I get +1 to casting rolls on any spells (regardless of magic Lore) cast by my Sorceress or High Sorceress even though their list doesn't say anything?

Would this +1 apply to dispell rolls aswell?

Are there any special rules to when I can include a Black Guard unit in my army? (Special Tournament rules or any other rules) I'm aware of the limit of maximum one unit in my army.

I can't seem to find any models depicting DE Nobles. Should I just use an Assassin model or Special Char model to represent my Noble?

Thanks for helping out. Stop laughing at me, I told you I'm as new to this game as it's possible to be.
Fellblade
Noble
Location: Cell 5, isolation ward. Quarantine measures in effect.

Re: Newbie seeking help.

Post by Fellblade »

[quote="Balthamael"]

Can I equip my Noble with an Additional Hand Weapon (4 pts) AND give him a Hydra Blade (50 pts) for a total of 4+D3 attacks?

Yes, I believe so, though Hydra Blade is probably not the best magic weapon choice for Druchii.

In the DE Army book (Dark Art section) it is mentioned that a Dark Elf magic user adds +1 to all casting rolls. This is however not mentioned in my army list under Sorceresses or High Sorceresses. Would I get +1 to casting rolls on any spells (regardless of magic Lore) cast by my Sorceress or High Sorceress even though their list doesn't say anything?

Yes

No

Are there any special rules to when I can include a Black Guard unit in my army? (Special Tournament rules or any other rules) I'm aware of the limit of maximum one unit in my army.

No.

I can't seem to find any models depicting DE Nobles. Should I just use an Assassin model or Special Char model to represent my Noble?

Yes, and start thinking about converting.
Competition is the whetsone of talent.
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

1. No
2. Yes
3. No
4. No, but there is if you take Malekith or Kouran as a special character
5. Nobles don't have any models, so you have to convert one. Malus Darkblade works well, as do executioner and black guard champs.

Hope this all helped

Sean
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Re: Newbie seeking help.

Post by Rasputinii »

Balthamael wrote:Hi, everybody.

Hi and Welcome to Druchii.net. Enjoy your stay.

I'm a new player that has just learnt how to play and I want to build up a Dark Elf Army. There's regular matches and Tournaments at my local GW shop and for this purpose I'd need to build a 2000 points army. I've studied the rules and the DE Army book, but there are a few things I didn't understand or I felt was unclear. (Yes, I've looked at FAQs too.) I don't have any close friends that play the game at this point to ask about these things. I guess I could seek out some of the players that play at my local GW shop, but I felt like giving this place a try. The answers to these questions are probably completely obvious for you guys, but keep in mind I'm completely new at this.

Really don't worry about it. You never need to feel ashamed or nervous about asking questions, however obvious they may or may not be. If people didn't ask questions there would be no point in the site.

Can I equip my Noble with an Additional Hand Weapon (4 pts) AND give him a Hydra Blade (50 pts) for a total of 4+D3 attacks or would the Hydra Blade prevent me from giving him two hand weapons?

No you can't. Mundance Weapons can't be used in conjunction with magical ones. Also the Hydra blade isn't too great as we are only S4, which makes wounding and penetratign armour difficult. S is the most important stat when it comes to combat - and killing the enemy.

Yup, both normal and high sorceresses get +1 to cast.

Fraid not. +1 to cast only refers to casting spells.

Other then them being a rare slot and 0-1 no there are not any restrictions. You can basically always include a unit in your army if you want one.

There are no dedicated models. See the sticky in the P&M thread on how to go about making your own.

Thanks for helping out. Stop laughing at me, I told you I'm as new to this game as it's possible to be

Seriously, don't worry about it. Didn't laugh once. Better you ask and get your answers then don't ask and get stuck doing something the wrong way or what have you. Feel free to ask as much as you want. No need to ever self flagalate over asking questions.

Have fun, and enjoy the site.

Ras
Pleased to be back
Balthamael
Cold One Knight

Post by Balthamael »

Wow, thanks to everyone for quick and thourough responds. :)

I've been playing around in Excel trying to make a 2000 points setup that suits me. I ended up with a 1995 points army and were looking to find any minor equipment upgrades to throw a point or two on. I decided to give my Chariot crew Spears (+2points), then I realised I had already replaced one of the crew with a Noble with a Halberd. How would this play out? The Noble already has his weapons, so can I upgrade the other crewmembers weap and would it make a difference if I did? I know it's only minor points left to spend but I just figured if I can get a last 2 or 4 points upgrade, why not take it...
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

No you do not get a refund of the spearcost for the lost crewman on the chariot.

Btw some of your questions are answered in the rules FAQ thread, if you are new I would advice to read through it again. :) And welcome to D.net.
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

You still pay +2pts to give that one crewmen a spear. Its worth doing, since S4 is much better then S3 and you have the points, and its a cheap upgrade.
Pleased to be back