Turning after winning combat

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kida
Undercover Asrai

Turning after winning combat

Post by Kida »

Quick question, it happened to me yesterday. This is the situation:

GR____________BUILDING
GRCCCCC_____BUILDING
GRCCCCC_____BUILDING
GR
GR

(GR being Glade Riders, CC being my Cold One Knights and BUILDING being, well, building)

GRs charge CoKs in the flank but lose the combat. Can CoKs now turn as they've won the combat, but the resulting turn (aka the snake formation) would mean half of the unit would enter a building (which it, being cavalry, can't do)?

my Last.fm page in case anyone is interested...
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

I was under the impression GW had "said" that when you can turn you can maximise...?

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Kida
Undercover Asrai

Post by Kida »

Rork wrote:I was under the impression GW had "said" that when you can turn you can maximise...?

Isn't that you can only turn if you would at least keep the same number of attacks and can never go to less attacks?
But regardless, what happens to turned cavalry unit?

Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

This is one of those situations that is almost certainly not addressed anywhere specifically.

You probably have no choice but to come to an agreement with your opponent, either turn and slide down so your back models are along side the building, or at the very least you should be able to move your unit champion or any character in the unit to the end in contact with the enemy, as this seems to be the main point of being permitted to turn.

Or some other mutually agreeable solution.
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.
Kida
Undercover Asrai

Post by Kida »

Icon Hack wrote: or at the very least you should be able to move your unit champion or any character in the unit to the end in contact with the enemy,

Actually, no champs/characters were present. however, by turning, my opponent would lose +1 for flanks and I'd reduce the ammount of my opponent's attacks by 2 (since he'd be in BtB with my unit with only 3 models, not 4).

We played that I couldn't turn my unit as long as there was no place to turn them, meaning I did turn them once my CoK unit dropped to 2 models...

Patrizzo
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Patrizzo »

I say you did it correct, mostly because I don't like the idea of shuffling units around to fit the terrain. If something is in the way, one should accept it.

On a sidenote. One should remember that if a singlerank unit is turned, one should remember to put the banner in the new frontrank (of one) if one would like to use the effect of the banner. This makes turning, a singlerank unit with a character in it, rather pointless imho.
Pulchritudo in oculis spectatore est ...
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

I was under the pinion that because of the wording it is actually impossible to turn in combat. Due to that little line that says you must bring more models into combat, which is a physical impossibility witha turn, unless you are engaged in the rear and have an incomplete rear rank, thats the only possible way to my mind.
Pleased to be back
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

see the FAQ. they did a mistake in the book about you can only turn to bring more models into combat (which is impossible)
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

But Linda thats not an official source, and given that they are not releasing any FAQs for the new editions with the idea that any mistakes will remain mistakes untill the new edition I don't see any way you can ignore whats writtenunless you are being friendly and spirited. But in a tournie or what have you it s quite clear in the boook. You can't do it unless you bring more models in to B2B, and I see no escape from that.
Pleased to be back
Patrizzo

Post by Patrizzo »

p.1, Warhammer7.pdf wrote:Page 46. In the second paragraph of Free Manoeuvres, the following fragment will be deleted in reprints: ', and only in order to bring more models in base contact with enemies'.

It's not an official source? It's from the GW homepage, se link in the quote.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

I didn't think I was imagining things...just not looking them up...

*slaps self about a bit*

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Post by Prince of arnheim »

I am pretty sure that you are indeed allowef to reform after winning combat to maximise the numbers of models in base to base contact. The fighting melee is considered to be a swirling mass of troops so the strict of the house would not stop the tide of battle filling out on both sides.

I mean come on. You COK aren't gonna stand with their noses in the corner like punished children!
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Patrizzo:
Thanks. I haven't played in 6 months, so I have missed these updates, and there is no mention in the FAQ of an official source. Do you have a link to that pdf. I would like to see what else is on it.

You must understand I don't mean to be a prat, I've just been out of the loop and went into GW to get filled in on updates, and the bloke said there was nothing like that. Well I know, never trust a red neck, but I had hoped they knew about things like that.....

POA: Its best not to think of Warhammer as real life but as a game with rules and pretty pieces, or a more complicated chess. The rules are never going to be full realistic, and if you try and think in an entirely realistic way it just leads ti further complications and stuff. Thats my opinion on the matter though.
Pleased to be back
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Ras, click on the .pdf in Patrizzo's post, it's a link ;).

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Patrizzo

Post by Patrizzo »

@Rasputin: I included the link in my post, click the "Warhammer7.pdf" in the quote and you'll get the download (if I did it correctly).
It's easy to miss updates, and I didn't think you a prat or anything like that. I apologize if my post made it seem I did.
Concerning the Red Necks, I've never met one (being blessed with having no GW store where I live), but what I've heard aint too flattering. I guess this just add to the mountain.
Welcome back to the game. :)
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

You didn't suggest it, but my wrongly arrogant manner may well have done.
As for links is such places. Well, technology never ceases to amaze me. Thats quite impressive BB code. At least from where I am sitting.

'ta.

EDIT: That was massively useful link. 'ta. Especially the clarification on how skirmishers flee charges. That makes a huge deal of difference, given the rather dodgy interpritation being used last time I played. Again many thanks.
Last edited by Rasputinii on Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pleased to be back
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

I didn't mean to come accross like a smart comment. Sorry if it did. In any case I don't feel I deserve that little dig. And in any case I was soley referring to this comment:

POA wrote:I mean come on. You COK aren't gonna stand with their noses in the corner like punished children!

Only saying its dangerous to try and justify things in the game with realism and such. I have come to learn from my experiences as a player that its better just to stick to the rules and never try to rationalise things. Not only have I lost a good few rules discussions/arguments trying to do it but I have also got rather het up doing so. I was merely making a suggestion and passing on some advise. But perhaps given our history its just better if I don't address comments to yourself. I aint remotely interested in looking for a fight with any one any more.
Pleased to be back
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

MODERATOR:

I will lock this since I keep having to delete off topic posts (looks at POA). And the question seems to be answered.

As always if anyone wants to keep this open since they are still unsure then PM me and I can reopen it.

Thank you for your cooperation, now move along.