Failed charges and fleeing

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lowcash
Cold One Knight

Failed charges and fleeing

Post by Lowcash »

So my question is this; a unit of orcs declares a charge on a unit of Dark Riders, the charge reaction is to flee. However when measuring the distance from the orcs to the DR, it is past their charge distance (9").
Since the charge would be considered a failed charge even without the fleeing charge reaction, do the DR still have to make the flee move?
“You win battles by knowing the enemy's timing, and using a timing which the enemy does not expect.”

-Miyamoto Musashi
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Yes they do. The stated charge reaction takes place, flee or stand and shoot (or hold for that matter).
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Since the charge would be considered a failed charge even without the fleeing charge reaction, do the DR still have to make the flee move?

As Linda said, absolutely. This is where one of the most tactical pieces of the game comes into play - distance judgment - and where you separate the vets from the new guys. ;)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Lowcash
Cold One Knight

Post by Lowcash »

Thanks for the crazy fast response. :) I was studying the rule and was still not 100% sure. I must have read the charge/flee rules like 8 times.
“You win battles by knowing the enemy's timing, and using a timing which the enemy does not expect.”

-Miyamoto Musashi
Bad beast
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Bad beast »

the only exception perhaps is house ruled for forced flee responses

where i play if you are forced into a flee reaction from fear, terror, or because your a warp lightning cannon, the forced flee response doesn't kick in unless you are in range, this to to shut down making charges with units that are obviously out of range to force the leadership tests for fear and terror
Fr0 wrote: The evil Dr. Henry McCoy as usual, has a firm grasp on the rule.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

You don't test for fear/terror unless the charger is *confirmed* to be in range. there is no need for house rules here.
As for warp lightining cannon, even GW FAQ states that charges declared at obviously too long distances are considered cheating.