Charges at Multiple Targets

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Charges at Multiple Targets

Post by Vorchild »

A new rule for 7th that isn't exactly well explained in my view and I was wondering is someone could help me out here, both in determining the spirit of the rule as well as the strict wording allowances. The rule uses the wording "very close...together." The diagram that's used shows all three units in an exactly straight line, which doesn't help all that much as its an unrealistic case.

Does this mean that you can still stagger a unit in the order of mm distances to avoid combined charges?

The situation this stems from is the following: 3 units at various angles and stagers (zombies, ghouls then more zombies) being charged by a unit of orcs. Now, the orcs want the charge the ghouls, which are sort of wedged between the zombie units, but can still be contacted before the free wheel would automatically bring the into combat with one zombie unit or the other. Being in sole contact with the ghouls is not possible. However, the units are sufficiently close together that contact can be made one both zombie units while being about 5mm away from the ghoul unit. In very technical theory, it would be possible to contact both a unit of zombies and the ghouls at the same time with some theoretically perfect wheeling, and the free wheel would then put the unit in contact with the other unit of zombies. Obviously, however, hitting the exact corners of both enemy units at the same time looks like it forces a unit of zombies into a flank (ie, the orcs hit that unit on a different side of the movement tray as they hit the ghouls).

So, what to do? By the strict letter of the rules (and how we played it), it looked like the ghouls and either unit of zombies could be charged simultaneously by the orcs. However, it seems to me to be in the spirit of the rules to be able to contact all three units in order to engage the maximum number of models as possible.

So, thoughts, suggestions, and citations would all be much appreciated. :)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

http://ca.games-workshop.com/WhiteDwarf ... letter.pdf

There's a part about charging multiple enemies that aren't exactly positioned perfectly lin a straight front line.
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

I think that answers my question quite well. Thanks. :)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?