So how does it work exactly - Magic Bows.

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

So how does it work exactly - Magic Bows.

Post by Silverheimdall »

The Woodelf FAQ says Magic Bows do not deal out Magic Damage, that only Magic Arrows deal Magic Damage.

But is that only for Wood Elf Magic Bows?
They are the only ones with access to any Magic Arrows and I believe their Magic Bows do not deal out special attacks - they change the user's profile or modifies their rolls (rerolls) while bows like Reaver Bow (high elves) and Lifetaker (Dark elves) the wounding part of the bow attack is the magic part..

So is it only wood elf bows that do not deal Magic Damage or is it ALL magic bows of ALL armies that do not deal magic damage?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

It's only wood elf bows that aren't magical, FAQs don't translate to other armies even if the question would be exactly the same.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Now how to convince those in my gaming club (the wood elf, the chaos, the VCs) who would prefer Magic Bows NOT deal magic damage?

>_> Sigh.
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

Dalamar wrote:It's only wood elf bows that aren't magical, FAQs don't translate to other armies even if the question would be exactly the same.

I think that all the arrows do normal damage now. It's not because it's in the FAQ of an armies that it doesn't apply on other armies, sadly.

Just look at the ASF question in the High Elves FAQ. All unit with ASF and GW strike after all the unit with ASF. I don't think that would apply only to the High Elves.

So with this point of view, yes magical bow doesn't do magical damage.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Ask Linda ;)
Wood Elf question is specific to Wood Elf bows
ASF question is about ASF in general.

SilverHeimdall wrote:Now how to convince those in my gaming club (the wood elf, the chaos, the VCs) who would prefer Magic Bows NOT deal magic damage?

Wood Elf bows don't do magic damage, others do, just show them the FAQ. It should convince them.
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

The reason wood elf bows don't do magic damage is because wood elves can get magic arrows to shoot and no other army can.

So yes until proven otherwise RAW (Rules As Written) indicates that Lifetaker shots are magical.

And if the VC player complains, then kick him in the nuts and steal his army.

(*Underway wanders off mumbling something nasty about Drakenhoff banner and Grave Guard*)
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

While thats what the FAQ says now, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Apparently, Wood Elves are just worse at making magical bows than any other race in the game.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

But they are much better at making magical arrows :P
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

Dalamar wrote:Ask Linda ;)
Wood Elf question is specific to Wood Elf bows
ASF question is about ASF in general.

Q: Do normal arrows fired by a magical bow count as magical attacks?
A: No, they do not. Only magical arrows count as magical attacks.

Note: For reason of a long text, I won't quote the ASF FAQ from the HE FAQ.

I don't see anything that says it's specific to Wood Elf though, except for the section title which is about wood elf armory. However, this doesn't show anything about my point of view, since the ASF question was under the Forces of Ulthuan, which is about high elves' units.

Sure they are the only one with magical arrows but people could say the same against unit with "Immune to poison" which says: "grant immunity against the rule Poisonned Attacks" while we are the only armies with 2 other types of poison.

I wonder if they posted it because of the bows from the armies, don't remember their names which grant them +1S at short range and people assumed that because it's "magical" the archers would do magical attacks.
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

That's quite a nerf, it's it's wood elves only. I mean, yay great, you can buy a "magical" bow, but in order for it to be magical, you have to buy "magical" arrows too. Others get magical bows for half the price then I guess. Not to mention wood elves hardly have any good melee weapons, one would think it'd at least be slightly compensated by at least having "real" magical bows, but whatever.

Cheers
---Tragic legend, Eerie stratum---
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

There would be no reason to believe that the arrows aren't magical, as it isn't supported in any FAQ on DE, and a magic weapon is presumed to have magical attacks.
In the fluff it also says that the arrows are dipped in some sort of blood mix IIRC, so it aren't normal arrows because of some magical energy surrounding them, ergo magical arrows :).
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Each FAQ is for that race only, otherwise we would have a bigger mess then normal. For proof see the empire banner vs Brettonian Errant knights and their reaction to fear when charging.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Yeah the ASF High Elf FAQ is under 'Forces of Ulthuan' but its a question of ASF - not a question of Speed of Asuryan (The high elf ASF rule)
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

If you have an opponent quoting the WE FAQ to prevent you hving magical shots from Lifetaker, you should question whether you even want to play against such a "sporting" opponent...