Dogs of War as a Rare choice

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Dogs of War as a Rare choice

Post by Thanee »

The new army books have no entry for Dogs of War anymore.

Is there a general rule, that all (most) armies can take one unit of DoW as a Rare choice now, or something else that officially allows the usage of them?

Or is it down to the units, that specifically state they can be used as DoW by other armies (i.e. many Ogre Kingdoms units or Menghil Manhide's Manflayers)?

Bye
Thanee
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

The official rules are in the Dogs of War PDF - you do not need to have a 'Dogs of War' entry in your armybook to field them.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

This is what you see on the GW website:

Note on DoW from Gav Thorpe.
There's a variety of reasons for removing the reference to DOW in the forthcoming army books, and these are the main ones:
1. The rules detailing how to include DOW in an army are included in the DOW list/ articles. Therefore if you have access to those rules you have access to how they can be added to your army.
2. We may wish to revise the way DOW work in the future, and while we continue to perpetuate the current rules for them in the army books this will be very difficult to do. Our intent is that the DOW rules, should we produce a proper supplement, will be entirely self-contained and require no references in the army books.
Neither of these are intended as a signal that we are never going to do/ immediately going to do (delete as appropriate) a Dogs of War supplement. They are simply a sort of house-cleaning procedure that leaves us clear to evaluate and pursue the correct course of action regarding Dogs of War in the future.

So what you see in the DoW entry is how it can be taken.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Groovy. Thanks! :D

Bye
Thanee
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Yup, every DoW unit states which armies can take them and what slots they take. DoW entry in army lists was redundand and thus removed.

Good move IMO, one of the few GW makes recently when it comes to changes (like the new US website :P).
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

I hope GW get around to the FAQ for that fairly quickly...

A little while ago there was that thread with when FAQs where been put out, I just had a look and cant find it again but it would be on here when they are puting it out wouldnt it?

If I find it I will put a link up here.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I cannot find the equivalent in the UK GW website, but in the French one, there is an answer:
http://fr.games-workshop.com/telecharge ... -04-08.pdf (go to page 11, under Mercenary section).
For those who dont speak French, I translate for you below (with no dictionary, forgive any mistake):

"We intend to remove the availability for DOW in forecoming army books.
Presently, Empire, O&G, HE cannot anymore include DOW among their forces, other armies can still do it until their army book is rewritten.
During tournaments, no Mercenary will be authorized except for the DOW-only army list, available on line. The giant is another exception, available for all armies described in the Giant rules available on line and in WD144."
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Heh, that directly contradicts Gav's statement on the DoW English site. I'll go with that.
7th edition army book:

Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

Dalamar wrote:Heh, that directly contradicts Gav's statement on the DoW English site. I'll go with that.

Since when Gav left GW? Because this document is from the April 4th. So I think that the .pdf would be the best choice to follow until someone else clarify the situation.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

It doesn't matter when he left, the information is still up there, they didn't take it down.
Would Gav leaving make all the army books he wrote out of date? nah.
7th edition army book:

Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

That's not what I meant, I meant that if someone says something and someone else says another thing, the last information is the one we should follow.

I don't really use DOW so it doesn't affect me, however, the latest information is in this PDF. I think the best thing to do is to accept them in friendly game and in tournaments, ask to the organizers.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

That's just the ruling in France, it has nothing to do with other countries.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

No other countries have published the equivalent rules clarifications for tournaments?
I can't believe it. It is full of useful informations for (or against) people trying to exploit the rules to their limits.
I doubt the the official site in French released such clarifications without being approved by GW.
But I'm not familiar with the GW website in English, so I could not find it.
I expected the English-speakers fans of D.net to find it easily.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Well, I do not know about such a document on the english site.

What's weird is, that it directly contradicts a text that is on the english site (see Rork's post above).

Bye
Thanee
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Calisson: It directly contradicts what the other sites say.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@Linda Lobsta Defenda, @Thanee, I don't contradict, see below.
@SilverHeimdall, @Rork, you are right with DoW rules, see below.

Let me clarify:
:shock: The present official rules are clear in French, English and Italian official GW websites (I did not check with other languages): mercenaries are found in the proper pdf rules, and these rules DO allow DOW for ALL races (except Bretonians that are too haughty for that). Don't trash Mengil yet, he is still authorized to join your army and will stay so even when our new book ceases to mention mercenaries as a possible rare entry.

A single exception... (but just for the French :x , fortunately the rest of the world is not concerned - yet?)
The info I found are just valid for the French Great Tournament, and I searched UK and Italian GW website without finding any equivalent.

Let me add a little bit more information :idea:
These conventions are found in the "dowload" page with a warning.
http://fr.games-workshop.com/telecharge ... &section=6
For those who don't understand French, the warning says: (in summary)
"This document (...) may be used as a reference during a tournament in addition to usual rules (...). WARNING: the quoted Q&A refer to downloaded pdf from GW websites. Those Q&A are the only official rule amendments."

so, again, the rules stay as you know them, and SilverHeimdall is right to mention "That's just the ruling in France".

But... :twisted:
they also state in the warning that what is written between brackets comes from notes refining the answer, from Alessio Cavatore.
They also state that the answers were provided when the question arised, that they are temporary and for indication only, that in the future the conceivers can change their opinion, and only downloadable Q&A are to be considered as official and permanent.

So... :arrow:
what I find interesting in the "French GT pdf" is a hint into the future, as seen in Alessio Cavatore's brain on 04/04/2008 at latest.
The author of the pdf (not Alessio) mentioned that "We intend to remove the availability for DOW in forecoming army books. Presently, Empire, O&G, HE cannot anymore include DOW among their forces"
Alessio was quoted between brackets: "For balance's sake, during the great tournament, no Mercenary will be authorized except for the DOW-only army list"

Guess what? !conf!
- Alessio may not fully agree with the indication provided by the pdf author, who seems to be in a designer team (but designing the game or just the Great Tournament? I dont know)
- Alessio may change his mind
or
- it may indeed be a scoop about a future DoW list that would cancel any availability for DoW except giants for non pure-DoW armies.

Conclusion: !eek!
Look at your cristal ball or ask Alessio or wait and see.
Till then, keep playing with Mengil.

Hope I did not mess it up too much. I'm supposed todo it only on battlefields...
----------------------------------------------------
I will probably start a new thread on this topic, with the above argument, so as to provide widely the information to D.net:
GW plans to stop availability of DoW for non-DoW armies.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Thanks for clearing that up, Calisson. Much appreciated! :D

Bye
Thanee