Manflayers and the new rule book

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Lowcash
Cold One Knight

Manflayers and the new rule book

Post by Lowcash »

Does any one know if Mengil and his boys will be allowed in the new rule book?
I am about to start painting them and would be bummed to find out they are no longer a valid unit choice in the upcoming book.
“You win battles by knowing the enemy's timing, and using a timing which the enemy does not expect.”

-Miyamoto Musashi
Artein
Highborn

Post by Artein »

I guess that if DoW are allowed, then Manflayers also....

To add more rumours are that Shades would have option to take great weapon, then the Manflayers models seems perfect :roll:
Lowcash
Cold One Knight

Post by Lowcash »

That would make the baby jesus cry if they get removed from the game. Poison shots/GWs and that awesome BS are worth their points.
“You win battles by knowing the enemy's timing, and using a timing which the enemy does not expect.”

-Miyamoto Musashi
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

How DoW rules interact with each army is always covered in the specific DoW entry.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Kamahl
Dark Rider

Post by Kamahl »

As Rork said, the way manflayers (or other dow for that matter) can be used in armies is stated in the unit's own entry a new army book won't change that. (unless they update the rules for manflayers that is)
Nice and Easy might not always do the trick, but at least it doesn't end up splattered against some wall.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I tried to give a guess on future plans on a recent thread :
"GW plans to stop availability of DoW for non-DoW armies" (found under "Druchii army list" forum)

See
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=54954&highlight=

Basically, I believe that Manflayers will be authorized as they are now, even if the DoW rare option does not appear anymore in the new book... until a DoW book is released, that probably will remove availability of DoW for non DoW armies.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Cananatra
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Cananatra »

But aren't Mengil's counted as a regiment of renown rather than standard dogs of war such as pikemen?
Group 28- Name: Cananatra; Warrior; Follower of Slaanesh
WS:4 S:4 T:5 D:4 I:3
Equipment: MC Long sword, Throwing Axe, Dagger, Heavy Armour, Slaanesh Amulet, Dalvian Hunting Horn, Rations x 7, Null stone x 1, 525 Gold, Dark Steed, Blackpowder Pistol [18/18]
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Ride, Endurance
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Regiment of Renown is the same as a standard dog of war unit. They used regiment of renown as a name for all dow at first and then changed. So the names are interchangeable.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Is it?

I thought Regiments of Renown are the ones with a specific name and a hero-like champion.

While Dogs of War are all, the RoR and the regular mercenary units, like many Ogres, for example, or DoW Heavy Cavalry.

Bye
Thanee
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

In my mind and in my posts, RoR and DoW have exactly the same rules.
Only the fluff changes.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

Is it?

I thought Regiments of Renown are the ones with a specific name and a hero-like champion.

While Dogs of War are all, the RoR and the regular mercenary units, like many Ogres, for example, or DoW Heavy Cavalry.

Thats exactly how I thought it was too, but maybe they changed the name when they stoped coming up with the named units.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

They clearly sais so in the 2002 Annual (dont make me quote it as i sold that book years ago).
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

shes right - just to back the point up
Voodoomaster
Lord General Of Khaine

Post by Voodoomaster »

i suggest doing what i have done, using them as Shades, they are just as effective i find.
"For every victory there is a defeat, for every defeat there is a victory. My victory, my defeat are for all to see..."
Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

a lot of people do that, the models certainly look the part - and ive been thinking of doing it myself now, except that i furst want to see if we get any new shade models. I definately prefer Mengils Manflayers than the current Shades.