Dont.....light arrows?

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Rebmonk
Shade

Dont.....light arrows?

Post by Rebmonk »

So i was reading the book of our evil kin, and i noticed that they have a lot of armor that makes them immune to flaming attacks.

While this is great against dragons, a common sense versus rules question came up in my head. I also play bretonnians and with tomb kings in the area i always give my peasant archers braziers so they have flaming attacks.

When i play high elves could i simply tell my archers not to light their arrows so they do not become flaming attacks? From a common sense fluff perspective i would presume yes (since the arrows are usually coated in oil or pit and then poked into the braziers to set them aflame). However, from the rules i don't see anywhere i can do this.
Almundis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Almundis »

I would say no, as the idea is that common foot soldiers do not know that magic armour can stop flaming arrows, they would probably just keep firing and "wah! why won't that pointy eared thing die?!"

Unless it says you have that option in the AB (I'm not too big on brets...)
name: Rhyithan Uematsu
WS 4 (5)
Str 4
T 4
Dxty 2
Int 5
Equipment: Longsword, Shield, Lightarmor, Seadragon Cloak, Enchanted Draich (+1 WS).
skills: Two-Handed Weapon Fighting
10gc

awesome tattoo - priceless.
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Most people around where I am would likely allow you at the beginning of the game to simply cross it out and play with 5 pts less. For the reason that being immune to fire doesn't make you immune to the arrow (as per dwarf cannonballs FAQ) and because we're generally pretty nice. That doesn't make what we do correct by the full letter of the rules, but GWs rules writing and FAQs in particular have really sucked because of their contradictions and limitations.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Manticoreslair
Shade

Post by Manticoreslair »

are you sure the armour makes immune to all flaming attacks or just breath weapons??
if it does allow it to stop all flaming attacks, just dont shoot them. i agree that they would not just stop lighting the arrows. they are peasents after all!!
its all or nothin

strike hard, strike fast

then run like hell!!
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

manticoreslair - high elves can take light armour, heavy armour or dragon armour which is heavy armour but immune to all flaming attacks.

If i was you, to save hassle, just dont take the fire
Dggrj
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Dggrj »

I think the only time this will matter is tournaments, when you just have to decide and stick with your lists. I expect that in tournaments you would be stuck with flaming attacks and they would be immune to them. In friendly games that's such a minor tweak to your list per opponent that only the most hardcore ***es should care, IMO.

Now, on that front, if confronted by someone in a 'friendly' game who isn't friendly, 'forget' to put down your braziers, b/c then it's not WYSIWYG and they aren't flaming.

Note that I don't actually condone that, though, and would say avoid those people.
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Dragon Armour works against Runed Cannon Balls, Screaming Skull Catapult, Bret Flaming arrows, Greater Daemon with Flaming Sword, anything that has Flaming attacks.
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

You cannot tell that you don't use the flaming attacks if you paid the option... Of course in a friendly game, you could just remove the points from it but in a tournament, you're stuck with it, just don't shoot at dragon prince or heroes with them and you'll be fine.

Even if it doesn't make sense that a flaming canon ball wouldn't do anything to them, that's how it works. They are immune to everything that counts as a flaming attacks or a breath. so even if the moon fall and count as a flaming attacks, they would be immune to it.
Confused counselor
Corsair

Post by Confused counselor »

dggrj wrote:I think the only time this will matter is tournaments, when you just have to decide and stick with your lists. I expect that in tournaments you would be stuck with flaming attacks and they would be immune to them. In friendly games that's such a minor tweak to your list per opponent that only the most hardcore ***es should care, IMO.

Now, on that front, if confronted by someone in a 'friendly' game who isn't friendly, 'forget' to put down your braziers, b/c then it's not WYSIWYG and they aren't flaming.

Note that I don't actually condone that, though, and would say avoid those people.

That's one way to look at it. The other way would be to think you'd need to be a pretty "hardcore ***es" to tweek your all comers list for such a minor thing as S3 flaming arrows... ;)

Just go with it. Being immune to flaming is one of the benefits of dragon armour. It is not like you would should with S3 arrows at 2+ cavalry or dragons when you have elite infantry to decimate to much anyhow.
Rob the dark elf
Executioner

Post by Rob the dark elf »

I thought that the idea of dragon armour made people immune to fire based attcks such as Rule of Burning iron, Sword of Rhuin etc. (These attacks are made out of fire essentially) But it wouldnt work against a flaming cannonball for instance or flaming arrows because they are not fire based attacks. The cannon ball is a cannonball based attack that happens to be on fire, same goes for the arrows.

I could be wrong though.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Dragon Armour gives you immunity to *everything* which has Flaming Attack rule.

It might not make sense, but it simplifies the rule and cuts down on "but the cannonball is not made from fire!" arguments.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Dalamar wrote:Dragon Armour gives you immunity to *everything* which has Flaming Attack rule.

It might not make sense, but it simplifies the rule and cuts down on "but the cannonball is not made from fire!" arguments.

Correct, comepletely immune to anything that is flaming no matter what is flaming.
Rob the dark elf
Executioner

Post by Rob the dark elf »

So I was wrong then, fair enough.
Furiouscado
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Furiouscado »

I think you get away with a lot of comprehension in this game by falling back on "It's magic..." Ya by our human logic there would still be a fast moving pointy thing and a giant metal ball to worry about.. but this game tends to defy a lot of reality (which is why a lot of people play it) ...
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Well just like a ward save stops the cannon ball, so does the dragon armour, except that the armour has 100% success instead of a Ward's chance to fail, as long as the cannon ball is runed to be flaming.