New armybook questions~!

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

New armybook questions~!

Post by Silverheimdall »

I have read the book, I have the official wording, but I also have questions!

Bladewind is indeed 3d6 WS4 S4 Close Combat Attacks.

By that wording of 'Close Combat Attacks'

- Hatred - does it kick in? It is not the 'first turn of close combat' but what about against High Elves where first turn doesn't matter for Hatred?

- Killing Blow - the rule is clear - all close combat attacks 'to wound' will killing blow on a 6, so a sorceress affected by the cauldron, using that spell.. Killing blow or not? The rule does not speak of 'Close combat phase' ever.

Beastmaster's Scourge is clear in its description, it is a Hand Weapon that also has Armour Piercing.

- Whip of Agony, magic weapon that says 'Beastmaster's Scourge. Always strike at S5'

Its clear that it is S5 armour piercing, but since it says 'Beastermaster's Scourge' it is also a Hand Weapon and thus we get the Parry Bonus for being on foot, with a shield, correct?

Cauldron of Blood is specific: It can affect any units (doesn't have to be in close combat like a previous rumoured wording suggested) except Harpies but also it says it does not affect "Mounts and Creatures pulling a Chariot".

To me this means that the 5+ Ward can be given to a RBT (cannon ball protection on the first or 2nd turn? Usually high priority targets!)

But also that Killing Blow & +1 Attack will affect a War Hydra and its beastmasters.

Am I right or wrong?

Rending Stars, just as rumoured, these throwing stars are x3 multishot and 'Strength: As User +1'

What about when you have Manbane Poison? (which says very clearly that the poison is applied to all non-magic weapons the Assassin has, Rending Stars are not magic weapons since they are not in the 'Magic Items' section of the Gifts (Venom Sword & Cloak of Twilight are in their own 'Magic Items' box of that page)).
In the Warhammer 40k book, an exemple where something would get double strength and a +1 bonus they say to apply it as such: S4x2 = S8+1 = S9, not S4+1 = S5x2 = S10.

So do we apply the same logic?

Manbane against War Altar or anything T5/T6 = S6 and +1 for being a Rending Star = S7 = Altar goes poof ?
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Post by Aspiring executioner »

With question number two, no as its a magic weapon as well as a hand weapon. And i'd say, but not entirely sure, that you're correct for number three and four.
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Ah but other Magic Weapons are NOT Hand Weapons.
This magic weapon is one of the few that have the Hand Weapons rules (Bret Sword, Daemonic Gift Staff of change).

Unlike other Magic Weapons who have no type and thus do not follow Hand Weapon rules.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Well thats the thing, the rule does not mention 'magic weapons do not get parry bonus'

the rules for Magic Weapons is 'Magic Weapons do not follow the rules for normal weapons unless otherwise specified'

[Whip of Agony.]
[Beastmaster's Scourge. This weapon....]

Unlike

[Biting Blade -1 armor save]

So I would say you use the rules for normal weapons with that Whip AND its magic. o:
Hiss
Warrior

Post by Hiss »

1) no it's not the CC phase but the magic phase so no hate or KB

2) It's a hand weapon but as said before this hand weapon shouldn't be covered by any other rules p36 (what's a hand weapon) and beastmaster's Scourge is armor piercing so no.

3) right, since what you've said is correct except for distant KB as it has to be written KB can be used with range weapon so if it's not....

4) you'll have to said us exact words for the both gift...

just fun before Linda or someone else close this topic as the book isn't available yet ;)
The killer's breed or the demon's seed
the glamour, the fortune, the pain
go to war again, blood is freedom's stain,
but don't you pray for my soul anymore

I M
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

from what i can work out:

1 - magic only

2 - magic weapon / no combining with shield

3 - can put ward on bolt thrower but not sure bout KB

4 - yeah i think you can stack manbane and rending stars for +2S
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

It is a Hand weapon by its rules so yes like the bret sword you get the parry bonus. People are staring to much about the magical properties, it can be the most magical weapon in the word as long as it is also a Hand Weapon (ie clearly written Hand Weapon). Same way that magical weapons that say Lance use the lance rules as well. (see bretts and VC for instance).

And yes the throwing stars can benefit from both.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

#1 Bladewind

I think Close Combat Attack only has an effect concerning hit allocation (i.e. you choose to attack the rider (within the limits for attacking characters with that spell) or the mount, the crew or the warmachine, etc), i.e. there is no random distribution as for shooting.

Hint: Against VC you attack against the normal WS of the unit, the Helm of Commandment (hope that's the right name) does not change the WS unless you are in the Close Combat Phase.

#4 Handweapon

I also think that it would count as a Handweapon, since that's a specific bonus of that weapon type. Maybe a future FAQ should address this, though.

Bye
Thanee
Hiss
Warrior

Post by Hiss »

It is a Hand weapon by its rules so yes like the bret sword you get the parry bonus. People are staring to much about the magical properties, it can be the most magical weapon in the word as long as it is also a Hand Weapon (ie clearly written Hand Weapon). Same way that magical weapons that say Lance use the lance rules as well. (see bretts and VC for instance).

ok thanks, i've been searching again in our "errata" and get it, the same as your answer so appologies, ;)
the same for the mundane armor piercing hydra's apprentice weapon about the other post if apprentice get already 2 basic att

Then enchanted shield + beastmaster's scourge :-3 AS S5 ? :D
The killer's breed or the demon's seed
the glamour, the fortune, the pain
go to war again, blood is freedom's stain,
but don't you pray for my soul anymore

I M
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Seems so (1+/0+ with HA/SDC while on foot). Plus AP.

Armour of Darkness + Whip of Agony is better, though. 1+ AS and +1 A all with S5 AP.

Bye
Thanee