August White Dwarf BATREP and ASF...

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Evilelf
Corsair

August White Dwarf BATREP and ASF...

Post by Evilelf »

***Warning! Spoiler alert if you haven't read August's WD!***

Okay, so I know that WD BATREPs aren't the best place to look for rules consistency, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed in the final, epic battle between the High Elf Prince on Dragon versus the Druchii assassin. The dragon rider charged the Black Guard with the assassin in it, and was challenged by the assassin "who was promptly skewered by the Prince's Star Lance." It struck me that the assassin didn't even get to strike first--shouldn't he have struck first? I checked the High Elf FAQ and the BRB as well as re-read Monkey Lord's post regarding ASF and it seems like they should have gone in initiative order--leaving our assassin with an I of 10 against I of 8 for the prince.

I realize that WD BATREPs are sometimes just plain wrong, but do you think GW got the rule wrong during the last turn even lthough it looks like they got it correct for the first 5 turns of the BATREP? Am I missing something? Actually, I'm just miffed that the assassin was killed so easily without apparently a chance to attack even though the outcome would have likely been the same.
"No sense in beating a dead High Elf; except maybe for the joy of it." attributed to Marterist Grimore, Dark Elf Noble, General, and all-around mean guy.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Did they revert to normal charging rules? Any explanation at all in the bat rep after action report?
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

What would be the point of I10 ASF if the Assassin could not make use of it against lower I ASF?

GWShop is dumb as ....
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

I never expect to be edified by rules applications in WD.
They frequently get the rules wrong in WD and then give an explanation for why they did what they did that ends up being wrong as well. In the design notes for the HE release they talked about Lion chariots and S6 great weapons even though great weapons only yield +1 S while mounted.
It would be nice if they at least mentioned how they arrived at the ASF decision.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

yeah the assassin should have struck first since they are both ASF and he has the higher initiative... i havent read the battle report yet but i will pick up WD asap
Brentrb
Trainee Warrior

Post by Brentrb »

Heartrender wrote:yeah the assassin should have struck first since they are both ASF and he has the higher initiative... i havent read the battle report yet but i will pick up WD asap

The Hydra also has a strength 7 breath weapon according to that battle report. Consequently, since they also specifically said the strength of the breath weapon is equal to the number of remaining wounds, they must also think that the Hydra has 7 wounds. You would think that if ever there were a time that GW were to get a battle report right, it would be the one where the guy who designed the army plays the editor of White Dwarf.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

brentrb

You would think. It has almost gotten to the point where the editing is so bad that it seems to be an inside joke that GW insiders are enjoying. The only other explanation for the recurrent, constant obvious things that are missed is that no real editing goes on at all.
Masterofdarkness
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Masterofdarkness »

Or the editors don't actually play the damn game
Always look for the knife from the shadows.

Wait a minute, how do you hide a +2 flaming longsword in the shadows?
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I haven't seen the batrep yet, but I know they did actually play the game.

Wish I could have been there with my ref hat on. I would've given them both a red card for being so dumb...!
Arcadian
Shade

Post by Arcadian »

Dark Alliance wrote:I haven't seen the batrep yet, but I know they did actually play the game.

Wish I could have been there with my ref hat on. I would've given them both a red card for being so dumb...!

Thanks D.A.
For what its worth.. I appreciate knowing that.

As for a general comment on Battle Reports,
If they ever made more mistakes than I and my pals have made in just day to day 'lets have fun' battles.. then I'd be worried..

So far, we've (the group I play with) average more than two a month.. so I figure they're ahead of us.. yeay!
Chocolate is a gift & murder's a gift, ergo, murder and chocolate are sisters.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Maybe the Assassin has attacked first, but was ineffective? So they just didn't mention it.

Just a thought. :)

Bye
Thanee
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

They are using the 'Alesso' version of the ASF rule that was published in the High elf FAQ.

The question involved great weapons but unfortunately the FAQ included the words "effectively the two ASF rules cancel each other out".

This little snippet has led some to believe that it applies to models charging as well.
The_everchosen
Beastmaster
Location: Trying to think of something witty to put in this box

Post by The_everchosen »

I may be wrong but I thought Mr Cavatore said that two ASF models in contact 'cancel each other out' so the charging HB would strike before the assassin.

Either way Thanee's probably right as the Bat reps don't go into every little detail.

Edit: Venkh beat me to it! :)
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it - Winston Churchill
Lodark
Cold One Knight

Post by Lodark »

Was the assassin revealed as the star dragon charged? If so, there's no discussion at all, th assassin should have struck first whatever route you take.
Alshar Calaelen
WS: 3
S: 5
T: 4
D: 3
I: 3

Equipment:
Repeater Crossbow, Dagger, shield and light armour.
Powerfulfawn
Cold One Knight

Post by Powerfulfawn »

yeh depending on how they wrote it up the assassin may well have attacked first, done nothing to wound the prince, then got skewered - which they summarised as assassin pops out and gets skewered.. seems plausible to me. Or, rules wise, perhaps the ASF cancel each other out, leaving charge order still to consider :?
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Yet that's not how ASF works, but GWShop is just bad with their own rules.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Why has this been locked?