Ring of Hotek and Focus Familiar.

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Ring of Hotek and Focus Familiar.

Post by Amarel »

I don't have the new book yet and would be interested on getting some clarification on how the Focus Familiar and the Ring of Hotek interact (i.e. can a Sorc with the FF place it outside of the zone affected by the RoH and thus still cast, or is the point of spell origin still the Sorc).

Thanks in advance.
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

From what I know, the Sorceress will be miscasting, if she is within 12" to the ringbearer. Focus Familiar shouldn't change that.

Bye
Thanee
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

The familiar only repositions the casting point from the point of view of range and LOS. The spell is still cast from the point occupied by the sorceress.

I wondered about this too.

I was also wondering about the how the ring works when a unit is only partially within its circle of effect.

If a unit only has one model in its back rank within the zone and a magic missile hits the unit from the front at maximum range does the miscast rule take effect? What if the spell has a zone effect (within 6" of caster for example). Do you measure from the centre or from the edge of the effect?
The golden arrow
Cold One Knight

Post by The golden arrow »

If even one model of the unit is within 12 of the ring it is protected. If an area affect spell affects a unit protected by the ring it is affected.

That how I interprent it anyway.
Dggrj
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Dggrj »

I agree that MM's cast at a unit partially within the FoE (field of effect, I'm coining this acronym ;)) of RoH would be protected, since the missile really hits the unit and the hits are distributed throughout, etc., the unit is targeted, and it is within the FoE. I disagree, however, with the other example (but this is just my logic/interpretation), since something like Pit of Shades can be targeted at point A, where the center of the template is placed, or Wind of Death or whatever (can't remember the name) centered on a sorceress isn't really targeted, or if so its targeted on her, and IIRC the wording of RoH is such that it affects spells targeted within it's FoE (or casters within, of course).

Others' thoughts?
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Amarel wrote:I don't have the new book yet and would be interested on getting some clarification on how the Focus Familiar and the Ring of Hotek interact (i.e. can a Sorc with the FF place it outside of the zone affected by the RoH and thus still cast, or is the point of spell origin still the Sorc).

Thanks in advance.

any caster
- If the caster is within 12" of the ring bearer they miscast on any double.
- If the caster is beyond 12" of the ring bearer they do not miscast on any double.

sorceress with focus familiar
- If the spell caster and her focus familiar are both beyond 12" of the ring bearer, she does not miscast on any double.
- If the spell caster is within 12" and her focus familiar is beyond 12" of the ring bearer, she miscasts on any double.
- If the spell caster is outside 12" but her focus familiar is within 12" of the ring bearer, she does not miscast on any double.
- If the spell caster and her focus familiar are both within 12" of the ring bearer, she miscasts on any double.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

The sorceress casts the spell, the familiar is used to determine 'close combat state' and line of sight/range.
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

The Golden Arrow wrote:If even one model of the unit is within 12 of the ring it is protected. If an area affect spell affects a unit protected by the ring it is affected.

That how I interprent it anyway.

Yep. Exactly the same as general's Ld, bsbs etc
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)