magic resistance questions - new questions!

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

magic resistance questions - new questions!

Post by Kinslayer »

I dont have the rulebook on my right now, so sorry if this question explains itself in there or if magic resistance works slightly differently than how i have it in my head.

If you have a model or unit with magic resistance 1/2/3 you can add that many dice to the hand when rolling to dispell it correct? So say someone throws a spell at a unit with MR2 you opt to roll 1 dispel dice and throw in 2 'resistance' dice, so roll 3 dice for the dispel attempt.

My question to you is, in the example above, can you opt to throw 0 dispel dice and so just throw the 2 'resistance' dice, saving your dispel dice for elsewhere.

There are 2 reasons you may want to do this (following the example above).
- the enemy cast on a low number and you feel 2 dice is sufficiant to roll higher.
- you stand less chance of rolling a double 1 and auto-failing to dispel
- you are out of dispel dice
Last edited by Kinslayer on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

There is a third reason as well... you are out of other dispel dice. Yes you can use just the MR dice provided by the units MR.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Ok thankyou glad i got that one sorted out! Im pretty sure im getting to know everything there is to know now but i do sometimes come across questions like this.

And thanks for the suggestion on a third reason! completely forgot about that one.
Kensou
Black Guard

Post by Kensou »

I have question as well and since it concerns MR I thought it was better to post it here.

If an area of effect spell is cast and it would affect multiple units all with MR, would you get dice for all of those units?
Name: Ignat (Group 39)
Class: Mage
Stats: WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Equipment: Staff, Short Sword, Robe.
Skills: Power of Aqshy(1), Defensive Fighting.
Inventory: Pendant
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

@Kensou - I beleive, from the rules, that you would - even though this seems strange as you would be rolling a heck of a lot of dispel dice. Still, i dont see why not but im not sure thats official.
Tar-ciryan
Warrior

Post by Tar-ciryan »

Just one question concerning MR. Say a unit has a MR of an irrelevant magnitude and a spell is cast at it, it obviously gets the option to use that amount of dice equally its MR.

My question is does this work only once per turn. ie, you use all of your MR to dispell a spell then another spell is cast on the same unit, does it get that amount of dispell dice again??

I'be always played it as it doesn't but i've never been quite sure.

Also (realising its no longer just one question), when can you dispell a reamins in play spell your opponant has cast? Can it be dispelled immediately it your turn providing you fail or do not attempt to dispell said spell?

I would have said so but my regular opponant disagrees.
(°°) Cthulhu themed corsairs FTW!
/()\ Brotherhood of the Coast!
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

They get the dice at every spell which is cast at them, even if its in the same turn. The unit literally has a magic forcefield around it which can stop spells and is always there, not just there once a turn. Its not like a scroll where you use it then it crumples into ash.

I changed the title for you guys :)
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

If an area of effect spell is cast and it would affect multiple units all with MR, would you get dice for all of those units?

No. Under Magic Resistance my rulebook says: "Magic resistance is never cumulative."

My question is does this work only once per turn. ie, you use all of your MR to dispell a spell then another spell is cast on the same unit, does it get that amount of dispell dice again??

Same section of the rules also say: "[...] Extra dice that may be rolled when trying to dispel each spell that affects the magically resistant model." (added emphasis myself)

Also (realising its no longer just one question), when can you dispell a reamins in play spell your opponant has cast? Can it be dispelled immediately it your turn providing you fail or do not attempt to dispell said spell?

Under the header 'Dispel spells in play' it says: "After a player has finished casting his spells [...]."

It's pretty much all in the rulebook, really :)
Dggrj
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Dggrj »

Lethalis wrote:

No. Under Magic Resistance my rulebook says: "Magic resistance is never cumulative."
And you can only try to dispel a spell once, so you can't take them sequentially, either.
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Trying not to sound harsh... but really each of these issues is addressed specifically in main rule book. Most but by no means all of these kind of questions are covered in the rules often not well but covered none the less.
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

dggrj wrote:
Lethalis wrote:

And you can only try to dispel a spell once, so you can't take them sequentially, either.

Exactly - you use the MR dice of the unit with the greatest amount and the rest are ignored for that spell.
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

If a spell affects more than 1 model with MR, you take the one that has the most Magic Resistance.

The best example I can say: The Fey Enchantress, it's even explained in her rule. The Unicorn as a MR of 2 while the Fey as a MR of 3, so you take the MR3 if they are affected by a spell.

However, there's one thing that brings me a question and it's about the Null Shard. They say that their power do stacks but does it mean that if a unit with MR1 is there and there's another with a Null Shard in range, the MR will get to MR2?
Lexy
Assassin

Post by Lexy »

No, the null shards stack on eachother not on other MR
Never know what to do next, you might surprise yourself
Lord_jimmy_
Cold One Knight

Post by Lord_jimmy_ »

If a character has a null shard and joins a unit, does the unit get MR1? Or just the character?
People say I'm cocky, I say it's because they know I'm the best.

GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:Ok, I agree with Lord_Jimmy here.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

If the spell effects the unit the unit gets to use the character's MR (example magic missle).
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Lord_Jimmy_ wrote:If a character has a null shard and joins a unit, does the unit get MR1? Or just the character?

The whole unit. See the GW FAQ