Question about the focus familiar.

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

B0yceb0y
Dark Rider

Post by B0yceb0y »

So every unit gets it? No 12 inch range?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

dggrj wrote:Furthermore you can't choose to put characters in the back rank. They can only end up there if they are A) Skaven or B) refusing a challenge. And characters (other than Skaven) can't do jack from the back row.

Basic Rule Book stipulation. It just says, "You can't cast if you're not in the front rank."

BRB p.73 if there is not room enough in the front rank for all characters and command, one of the characters is moved in 2nd rank, where it cannot fight, cast spells nor use magic items, and the unit cannot use his Ld.

This is the general rule.

It needs to be compared with the exact wording of FF:
- If it is allowed to use FF even in 2nd rank (overriding the general rule that a magic item cannot be used from there), then the FF point will be used to determine if the sorc can cast at all; as the FF is not going to be set inside the unit, the sorc should be able to cast from the FF.
- If it is not specified that FF can be used from rear ranks, then RAW prevent its use.

I am convinced it has been playtested to be used from inside the 2nd rank of a unit, so even if RAW did not take into account the rules p.73, I would expect an FAQ to take care of that.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Melinia
Executioner

Post by Melinia »

Calisson wrote:I am convinced it has been playtested to be used from inside the 2nd rank of a unit, so even if RAW did not take into account the rules p.73, I would expect an FAQ to take care of that.

I don't know why you're convinced of that. The reason that the question about back ranks was asked in the first place was because the Familiar doesn't specifically mention casting from that rank.

Ergo, by your own logic, it can't be used if your caster isn't in the front rank of the unit.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I put the topic in the planned FAQ with following wording:

Question about the focus familiar.
BRB p.73 says that if there is not room enough in the front rank for all characters and command, one of the characters is moved in 2nd rank, where it cannot fight, cast spells nor use magic items .

This is the general rule. Let's suppose it is the case for a sorceress with FF, hiding in the 2nd rank of a friendly unit.

Let's see the exact wording of FF (I got the French version, which I translate below more or less back into English):

Translation:
FF is a magic item (arcane).
The use of this Familiar is to allow to cast spells from a different position than the sorceress.
At the beginning ot the Magic phase, put a mark at 6" max from the sorceress. The mark can be used as a position in order to determine range, LOS and whether the sorceress is engaged in HtH combat or not. End of translation.

So [url]my interpretation[/url]of RAW could be:
You have to put a mark, even if you do not intend to use the FF, and even if you cannot use any magic item: in the descritption it is ordered to do so.
Unfortunately, nothing in the text allows you to use the item from 2nd rank and override BRB P.73. So there you are with a mark that you cannot use. Too bad it could not self-apply.

So there are two qustions about FF:
Q1: do you have to put a mark during every magic phases of the player, even if you are not going to use the item?
Q2: can you put a mark, even when not allowed to use the item from your present postition, and then check if you would be allowed to use that item from that mark?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Keep it simple, follow the rules:
A character in a friendly unit that is not in the front rank of that unit may not cast spells nor use magic items, regardless of what the item is!

The item is disabled when not in the front rank of a unit you joined.
There is no 'you MUST' - the item cannot come into play by the rules.

A1: You have to use the Familiar each turn when the rules allow you to: at the start of your Magic Phase when the item is 'in play' (not in the back ranks)

A2: Of course not!
Warpaintoz
Trainee Warrior

Post by Warpaintoz »

OK how about this: if the Sorceress if standing 10" from the Ring Of Hotek and has a FF handy, does this mean she can avoid the the RoH's effects because the spells are popping out of the familiar?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

In the familiar description it is written it allows you to cast from a different position than your model.
So YES!
Viper
Highborn

Post by Viper »

Interesting item. i think I would run into the midddle of a forest and use the familiar to obtain LOS for casting while staying completly out of LOS of the enemy.
Good, bad, I am the guy with the reapter bolt thrower.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Viper wrote:Interesting item. i think I would run into the midddle of a forest and use the familiar to obtain LOS for casting while staying completly out of LOS of the enemy.

That is certainly a popular use for it. Either that or parking your supreme sorceress on pegasus behind terrain or a screening unit and doing the same deal. Its almost must have kit for a dragon sorceress so that the dragon can face whatever needs facing, etc... and the sorceress can fire away with her magic.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.